Best Highway Car with Good Fuel Efficiency

Thread Starter #1
Hi , i am in a business.
I will travel 500 to 700 kms 4times a month
I need a good fuel efficient car hatch or sedan for below 7l if hatch 12l if sedan

I am a mileage master know how to drive a car to get max mileage .
But i need a fuel efficient car that would surprise me more so i get bonded and loved with it .
As its 90% highway use .
It need to be stable
Better overtake capabilities
Abs and airbag
Good prestigious look .due to i visit some business peoples.
Good ac
Seat comfort ill be driving 100%

Thanks in advance
Please make a quote to get to know in notification

Volkswagen Polo GT TDi. Period. However that would be more than 7L but worth it.

Saying this because its 90% highway use.

Also why not the new Scorpio S10 ?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
scorpio tends to be unsettled in highways.. i test drove current generation Scorpio but i am not satisfied
any other choices?

Last edited:
@Stingray:
Buy a Honda City and you will be smiling for throughout the ownership.

Else:
Stretch a bit and buy a Corolla D-4D. I own one and with every kilometer I covered, my love and faith for the car kept on increasing. Super comfy, mileage king, super reliable and fantastic to own and drive. And yes, it works quite well as a status symbol too.
And yes, the service and maintenance bills of a Corolla won't ever be much higher than what you pay for your Stingray Sounds strange but its a fact that the Corolla is a dirt cheap to maintain car. [clap]

That way, City and Corolla do satisfy your needs at their best. Lets take your needs into consideration:

I will travel 500 to 700 kms 4times a month
This running is much identical to mine which is around 3-4k kms a month.

I need a good fuel efficient car hatch or sedan for below 7l if hatch 12l if sedan
A good reliable sedan with low maintenance and high comfort will keep you happy, none else.

I am a mileage master know how to drive a car to get max mileage .
But i need a fuel efficient car that would surprise me more so i get bonded and loved with it .
Buy a City or Corolla, both will astonish you with the fuel economy they can offer.

As its 90% highway use .
Buy a Corolla, the engine may be small on power on paper but the torque delivery is fantastic and hence the car is great for highway use - its just that you need a bit of practice to take out the max from it.

It need to be stable
City is more and Corolla is less but both are still great.

Better overtake capabilities
Nothing beats Rapid.
City and Corolla are nearly same. I own Corolla and have driven City extensively and I can tell you that both respond quite well on throttle inputs at any speeds upto 140 kph, given that the gear is right.

Abs and airbag
Every car in the segment has got it.

Good prestigious look .due to i visit some business peoples.
Corolla, I have seen people praising my car. And the new one is a fantastic looker too.

Every car in the segment has it.

Seat comfort ill be driving 100%
Nothing beats the City here. Corolla is very close but not as comfy as City.

Last edited:
Good Fuel effeciency, abs and airbags, good ac, comfortable seats, business use and prestigious looks = HONDA CITY.. Man, City is the car for you. Also, you can try Ciaz, Rapid or Vento , or Fiesta. If fuel efficiency is a big concern then Ciaz and City top the list with City being more comfortable with better seats of the two and also on the top with respect to status symbol.. Where the Linea MJD loses is fuel efficiency and overtaking capabilities (Its no way bad but just the competition is better ) [:)] Feel free to ask anymore questions!

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
In each and every answer i can smell your love with corolla.. Sure ill td it tomorrow and give you feedback

Thanks a lot for suggestion... I would consider your points..
Hope i see all you guys with a surprising car. Lets see how others recommend me a car

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: thanks a lot for in depth answer

In each and every answer i can smell your love with corolla.. Sure ill td it tomorrow and give you feedback
Sirji for the said budget, City is simply the best.

I am in love with my car(Corolla) for sure. I hated it in early days, but then found it to be a fantastically capable machine and these days also it is with me(I could have brought XUV or maybe have bought a City for the time being) and it takes some of the worst roads of UP, Bihar and MP with ease without breaking my bones.

At times it's not we who speak, but it's our ownership experience speaks in which we can't find a single moment of dissatisfaction.

All I will end my comment with is "Drive it to believe it". No doubt it is underpowered but it is a fantastic workhorse which can go on for years and can serve you the way nothing else can. At my home, we have a rule of retiring the cars with 1 lac on odo and my Corolla is nearing it but I am sure that it can go a lac more without giving any issues. Has any car ever gave you such a confidence? My reasons for being a fanboy are valid here, at least for me![:)]

Thread Starter #8
"Drive it to believe it"
ya surely i will td it and experience it bro thanks for sharing [clap]

Good Fuel effeciency, abs and airbags, good ac, comfortable seats, business use and prestigious looks = HONDA CITY.. Man, City is the car for you. Also, you can try Ciaz, Rapid or Vento , or Fiesta. If fuel efficiency is a big concern then Ciaz and City top the list with City being more comfortable with better seats of the two and also on the top with respect to status symbol.. Where the Linea MJD loses is fuel efficiency and overtaking capabilities (Its no way bad but just the competition is better ) [:)] Feel free to ask anymore questions!
at speeds like 100 to 120kmph for 500 kms
how much fe is given back by city?

"Drive it to believe it"
ya surely i will td it and experience it bro thanks for sharing [clap]
Awaiting your TD experience.

I guess the G or even the J variant may be jumping your budget quite well and hence I am nearly 100% sure that you are buying the car that is best suited to your needs and is in your budget - City. [clap]

Sirji your usage pattern is very much similar to mine. My speeds also vary between 100-140 kph depending on the road and driving distances are also quite identical.
Since you are an FE expert, so the City will easily deliver you 19-20 kpl at the said speeds with A/C ON. You may get even 22-23 kpl with/without A/C depending on your driving style. With the City, I have personally recorded upto 18-19 kpl even on petrol(under very sedate driving with A/C for 40-50% and speeds nearly fixed at 80-90 kph) and have recorded around 18 kpl on diesel with the car even touching 190 kph once and doing 140-160 kph for most of the route. So you can expect 20+ easily under sedate driving.

On the Corolla you will get 18-19 kpl max at 100-120 kph speeds and around 15-16 kpl if you go to 150+ speeds and around 12-13 kpl if you do insane speeds for whole route.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
Awaiting your TD experience.

I guess the G or even the J variant may be jumping your budget quite well and hence I am nearly 100% sure that you are buying the car that is best suited to your needs and is in your budget - City. [clap]

Sirji your usage pattern is very much similar to mine. My speeds also vary between 100-140 kph depending on the road and driving distances are also quite identical.
Since you are an FE expert, so the City will easily deliver you 19-20 kpl at the said speeds with A/C ON. You may get even 22-23 kpl with/without A/C depending on your driving style. With the City, I have personally recorded upto 18-19 kpl even on petrol(under very sedate driving with A/C for 40-50% and speeds nearly fixed at 80-90 kph) and have recorded around 18 kpl on diesel with the car even touching 190 kph once and doing 140-160 kph for most of the route. So you can expect 20+ easily under sedate driving.

On the Corolla you will get 18-19 kpl max at 100-120 kph speeds and around 15-16 kpl if you go to 150+ speeds and around 12-13 kpl if you do insane speeds for whole route.
the cost factor makes me numb at corolla, but i am not saying its not good, i owned a toyota before , but making more 3 to 3.5 l more is bit of a stretch on my pocket, but i am able to i will surely make it possible, i think i can arrange more bucks , so soon after td i will deside [;)]

I own a City Petrol. During the recent highway trip of about 240 kms, it returned about 14kmpl, but to be noted is that it was driven about 30-40kms inside city as well and on the highway was driven constantly above 130kmph with speeds coming down to 80-90 in case of traffic ahead and then back to 130-140ish... With the diesel City, you can easily manage above 22kmpl if you drive constantly at about 100or 110. Infact, some owners have even reported getting about 28-30 kmpl when driven at 80kmph with cruise control on! [:)]

Hi , i am in a business.
I will travel 500 to 700 kms 4times a month ... Thanks in advance. Please make a quote to get to know in notification
If it a Petrol, and if it is a sedan at million bucks, there's only one candidate - the City. But, if you meant 2000+km running per month, Diesel is the better choice.

Power, Stability & Braking are generally associated with a good highway car. When you threw in Mileage there, the water has become murky. On the outlook, the Ciaz looks to be a winner here. But, Ciaz doesn't surprise me as I've seen performance of Ertiga and Manza (with that same engine tune) on highways. Finally, when you stated "visit some business people", you are seeking other's perception. Altis recommended by TSIVipul, has great eye-catching power and world renowned reliability. It elevates your status instantly, in-laws and friends will associate classiness with you, but you'll have to extend your budget r..e..a..l..l..y well to acquire that status. Trouble with Altis Diesel is that it just has 5Nm more torque than the 200Nm available in the multi-Jet and its lazy sprint to 100kph at 14+ sec which IIRC is slower than Swift/Dzire Petrol. Torque pales in comparison to that in Rapid and Verna. But then, Rajinikanth does NOT need to show 6 packs, does he?

BTW, in mileage Dept., the Petrol City, Diesel Verna and Altis will surprise you, whenever you drive around 90-100 kph. Also in the first two, you can make a quick dash to 100kph, hang in there, zoom to 150kph if needed and hang in there or slow down.

Looks: Subjectively [;)] the German Hatch and Sedans, City, Ciaz, Korean Premium Hatch and Sedan, American (mini) SUV, French SUV all have this within your budget range.

Seat comfort: Sunny Twins, Duster Twins are at the top followed by City.

PS: I'm so sorry, but can't resist. You see, you cannot operate a 3kVA Inverter with a single 12V Battery. If we want to use only a 12V battery, let's better not exceed 800VA. Why do we need to talk about mileage in million bucks segment ? This is purely my perception.

Thread Starter #13
:D .inverter thing was a nice one.
By the way i am not that much concentrated in mileage but as a young business man with lot of dreams and just few bucks to spend for my expense and i concentrate more on business and every paise i spend i take care of.. So as i travel so much i wanted to spend less for fuel expense.. So fuel for about 10k to 15k a month i can cut some from it as a year i save more..for years it becomes even a lack of rupees, so i can invest it on business.
Also i always spend on best ones. So I mentioned about mileage factor

I own a City Petrol. During the recent highway trip of about 240 kms, it returned about 14kmpl, but to be noted is that it was driven about 30-40kms inside city as well and on the highway was driven constantly above 130kmph with speeds coming down to 80-90 in case of traffic ahead and then back to 130-140ish... With the diesel City, you can easily manage above 22kmpl if you drive constantly at about 100or 110. Infact, some owners have even reported getting about 28-30 kmpl when driven at 80kmph with cruise control on! [:)]
Wow thats a honey to my ears.. Thanks for the info bro ..thumbs up

bhvm

Honoured Member
How about-
Zest top end model
VW Polo Diesel
Hyundai Verna Diesel
Hyundai i20 diesel with 6 speed Box ir i20 elite
XUV 500 (super stance and manners) (Bit over budget)
Honda Amaze

I do'nt know about other vehicles, But here's mine-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...i-i10-magna-detailed-review-4.html#post422801
Offroad/Bad roads, 100% AC- 15 KMPL
Jungle safari (no AC), 1st or 2d gear- 14 KMPL
4 lane highway, Energetic driving , (Upto 140 KMPH)70% AC- 17.88 KMPL
4 lane Highway, Sedate driving by wife, (Upto 90 KMPH)30% AC - 23 KMPL!!

You see, FE is More dependent on Road conditions and Driving rather than Vehicle itself!

Last edited:
I own Honda City Petrol (i-VTEC) and in Oct14 I have done Bangalore-Mumbai-Bangalore trip, over all 2200 Kms, AC was on all the time and I got FE as 17. It includes some city driving within mumbai and driving in horrible bottleneck traffic of Bangalore.

Earlier, I have done Bangalore-Jabalpur-Raipur-Bangalore (over all 4500Kms) trip which includes city driving and driving on patches(100Kms) where you can not maintain more than 10Kmph speed. AC was on all the on full speed and I got 16.8 as FE.
While going from Bangalore to Nagpur (Bangalore-Hyderabad-Nagpur) I got FE as 19.2 with full AC on.
Overall I am very satisfied with FE I get from Honda City.

Top Bottom