What Car? Budget ~7 Lakhs

Thread Starter #1
I am in hunt for a new car and my requirement is for city deiving initially and once in three months highway trips which might get increased in the future.

Also, I have decided to use my car for weekends and in the later stage for my weekdays usage and in the later stages almost travel only in car sort of attitude. So my usage will be 700 kms per month (1500 kms on the third month ). This might get increased to 1000 to 1500 kms or more per month on the later stages. Planning to keep the car for 5 to 7 years and more if it costs less to maintain.

I am a newbie in driving and for anything related to car and located in Bangalore. I am 6 ft.My purpose of buying is for family( of 4 adults including myself and a kid ) and might later take for my daily needs too. The fuel and car prices are costlier in bangalore. I am taking loan and I have control in saving costs only in fuel efficiency and maintainence. The car must give a good fuel efficiency and also the maintainenace must be less with a very good peace of mind towards authorised service centers.

My requirements for a car is that it must have abs and airbags. So have to consider top variants as they are fully loaded.It should be very good on ride and dynamics as on the later stage I should not feel later on the long term ownership review.

Here are my choices ( I filtered this cars and test drove it ) but driven only for a short distance and it takes to next level when the exsisting owners gives me guidance as they driven cars and have a good experience with regard to ownership and service centers.

Please give guidance to eliminate my confusion.

Grand i10 petrol asta (o)
-----------------------------

For

Excellent value for money.
Loaded with features and gives very premium feel
Excellent fit and finish
Spacious in back
Usable boot space
Hyundai service
Excellent steering for city driving
Gear shift and clutch super smooth

Concerns

Fuel effiiciency is poor in b2b traffic
Integrated front seats ( will it create problem on long drives )
Doubting boot space practical usage when boot fully loaded
Hyundai service might be costlier
Light steering a problem in high speeds ?
Brake bite a problem in high speeds ?
Ground clearance

Grand i10 asta (o ) diesel
-----------------------------

For

Excellent value for money
Insurance free if I book in december where I can save 25000
Loaded with features and gives premium feel
Excellent fuel efficiency
Spacious back seats
Hyundai service network
Gear shift is butter smooth

Concerns

Diesel maintainenace might be higher on the longer runs post 5 years
Integrated neck rests a concern for high way drives to create pains ?
Pratcial usage of boot during loaded highway trips
Hyundai service costlier
Light steering and brake bite a problem in high speeds ?
Ground clearance

Zest Petrol Xt
-----------------

For

Excellent front seats offers good support
Exceptional Music system
Back seats are very spacious
Steering is very good and it doesnot feel like a sedan when holding steering during driving
Excellent pricing
Very good boot space compared with hatchbacks
Tata gold amc plan
Exceptional ground clearance

Concerns

Tata service as people who own it saying both sides of the coin. For some their exp is exceptional and for some their exp is hell.
Gear shift is not as smooth as grand i10
Driver view towards left hand side bumper creates a blind spot
Tata might remove gold amc for zest from jan
Long waiting periods and have a concern that ptices might be increased from jan as I get delivery only during feb
Low fuel efficiency for petrol in b2b as reported by owners here

Swift petrol zxi
------------------

For

Fuel efficiency
Excellent driving dynamics as reported by owners
Very good steering as it inspires confidence
Maruti service
Low maintaineance
Music system is good
Good ground clearance
Facelift swift with new features like grand ( still grand looks premium)
Like full black interiors
Excellent front seats

Concerns

Facelifted swift is overpriced
If I adjust front seats much for my driving comfort, back space of my copassenger going from bad to worst
Extremely bad boot space
Back space is cramped.
Is ncap rating a serious concern ?

Swift diesel vdi
------------------

For

Excellent fuel efficiency
Maruti service
Excellent driving dynamics
Steering inspires confidence

Concerns

Loaded only with abs as I need to comprise on so many things including more important airbags
Tyres
Maruti diesel maintaineance cost is high for some owners
Is ncap rating a bigger concern ?
Useless boot space
Back seats cramped

Ritz diesel zdi
----------------

For

Swift engine
Driving seat very good for my Height
Easy ingress and egress
Low maintainenace
Excellent fuel effiiciency
Usable boot

Concerns
-----------

Old outgoing model
My family strictly against back design ( i like it very much )
Boot space concerns for fully loaded highway trips
Back seats are cramped
Interiors not too good
Music system not good
Ride not as firm and planted as swift

Not considered
-----------------
Figo titanium diesel because its outgoing and also back seats not good.
Liva petrol and diesel top ends as somehow I din't like the looks and interior too basic and also meter in center console.
Etios cross top end petrol and diesel are overpriced
Zest xms quadrajet is way beyond my budget as I need to extremely stretch and also not possible even if they increase by a slight 10000
Fiat punto evo diesel 90hp emotion for service ( from my friends who own it ) and very heavy ( it provides safety but as I am a new driver , I am concerned ) and way beyond my budget. I like old punto very much compared with evo.
Elite i20 petrol as I dint like it and I loved diesel very much but very well beyond my budget
Vw polo petrol as I dint like it because of cramped back,space andd floor hump intrudes for 5th passenger too and extremely love gt series but again well beyond my budget

Or do I need to wait for jazz and maruti premium hatchback ? I extremely love jazz design and maruti premium hatchback overcomes the shortcomings of swift.

These are my choices and opinions expressed are purely based on my observations. Please do excuse me if my opinions or observations are wrong as I am a new driver as well as this is my first car.

So please guide me in selecting one and your opinions are highly valuable.

Last edited:
Re: What car ?

You haven't specified your budget dear. Please make sure you do so, so fellow members can give you many more options. Welcome to TAI. Have a wonderful stay

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Re: What car ?

You haven't specified your budget dear. Please make sure you do so, so fellow members can give you many more options. Welcome to TAI. Have a wonderful stay
As you can guess from my car selection, that my budget is 7 to 7.8 lakhs. Prices include insurance, extended warranty if any so on...

Grand i10 petrol 6.95 l otr
Grand i10 diesel 7.80 l otr after free insurance deduction
Swift zxi 7.43 l otr
Zest xt 7.53 l white includes gold amc extended warranty white colour so on
Ritz zdi 7.33 l otr after deducting 45 k maruti cash discount for december month

Last edited:
My vote goes to Zest for the below reasons:

1. Can seat 5(kid will grow up as the car will be with you 5 years).
2. lot of features
3. Well built car.

swift: cramped rear and virtually no head room
hyundai: loaded with features, but high mainaince costs. mileage a bit low.
ritz: not doing good as off late, stricly a 4 seater car.

Considering your budget go for zest the real vfm car. But if your not ready towait long for waiting period go for amaze or dezire. If you can live with akward look of amaze and flimsy interiors you can go for amaze for its ivtec oil burner other swift dezire would be fun to drive.

Being a fan of TATA as well as owner of 3 TATA Cars i suggest you the ZEST its definitely VFM Car. Auto Matrix in Bangalore has good service, try them.

Thread Starter #8
Considering your budget go for zest the real vfm car. But if your not ready towait long for waiting period go for amaze or dezire. If you can live with akward look of amaze and flimsy interiors you can go for amaze for its ivtec oil burner other swift dezire would be fun to drive.
Dzire petrol zxi comes to 7.69 l otr ( i dint like the boot design and also boot space ) and amaze petrol vx (m) comes to 8.26 l otr ( need to check the correct price ) which is beyond my budget. But I personally like Amaze diesel which is way beyond my budget.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
Being a fan of TATA as well as owner of 3 TATA Cars i suggest you the ZEST its definitely VFM Car. Auto Matrix in Bangalore has good service, try them.
I like XMS quadrajet but otr comes to 8.12 l for white which is way beyond my budget and still I might stretch well beyond to go for it but again waiting period og 6 to 8 weeks which makes the car to deliver only by Feb 2014. I heard that gold amc will be cut ( not sure ) and also a price increase from jan 2015. For both the cases, if it happens as I can't even put 10000 rs as I already far stretched my budget.

Thread Starter #10
Swift Zxi if fun drive is also a factor else Grand i10 1.2
Any feedback about diesel grand and swift vdi ( my last option to go for it for the fun to drive factor ). But I am a new driver and fun to drive factor matters only post 1 year where I will be taking it on highways. But I prefer sedate driving style for my safety irrespective of whatever car I buy.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
My vote goes to Zest for the below reasons:

1. Can seat 5(kid will grow up as the car will be with you 5 years).
2. lot of features
3. Well built car.

swift: cramped rear and virtually no head room
hyundai: loaded with features, but high mainaince costs. mileage a bit low.
ritz: not doing good as off late, stricly a 4 seater car.
What would be the approximate diesel maintaineance costs comparing grand, swift and zest on long term perective ie after 3 years ( apprx costs ) ?

Moderators : please do multi quote it as I am not able to do this more than 2 posts

Man, I would have blindly chosen Zest without all these thought process after driving it for more than 4800KMS.

I hope you already know the positives of zest when compared to other options you are considering, So I'm not explaining on that.
Ive driven those maruthi's you are considering and they are nothing compared to what Zest is offering. Cant comment on Hyundai options as I didnt try those.

May be as you are new to driving, you are not able to identify the difference in ride quality.
I would suggest taking an expert driver with you while you go for TD again.

Only if you have some negative mindset about owning a made India Tata brand, go for other options. Else I will recommend Zest any time.

Thread Starter #13
May be as you are new to driving, you are not able to identify the difference in ride quality.
I would suggest taking an expert driver with you while you go for TD again.

Only if you have some negative mindset about owning a made India Tata brand, go for other options. Else I will recommend Zest any time.
I have the price concerns only for zest ( for quadrajet xms ) . I don't have negative mindset about Tata or for any product as I am a new driver and ownership review like yours are the guidance to many like us. Whatever car I had shortlisted, I have test driven it and seen many ownership reviews.

You have a very valid point of taking an experienced car owner / driver with me to know the feedback and will do it.

I like XMS quadrajet but otr comes to 8.12 l for white which is way beyond my budget and still I might stretch well beyond to go for it but again waiting period og 6 to 8 weeks which makes the car to deliver only by Feb 2014. I heard that gold amc will be cut ( not sure ) and also a price increase from jan 2015. For both the cases, if it happens as I can't even put 10000 rs as I already far stretched my budget.
i Believe if you book it now you will not be hit by the price change. AFAS waiting goes a wise man said to me ( Gadi aur Ladki apni life changer hoti hain toh patience is very much required to get the right one)[;)]

Thread Starter #15
i Believe if you book it now you will not be hit by the price change. AFAS waiting goes a wise man said to me ( Gadi aur Ladki apni life changer hoti hain toh patience is very much required to get the right one)[;)]
I asked them and they are saying the time of delivery price applies and I need to ask them again. But as I said I am ready to wait even for 3 months but 8.12 l otr concerns me and also the price rise factor if it happens

Top Bottom