This is Aakash from Hyderabad.
We are having a 2011 Polo CL(D) which has run about 36000 Kms and is in pretty good condition. Had thought about changing it last year but couldn't as it was serving well.
So currently just thinking about a change as good year-end offers are available as well as the extended warranty expires next April and Tyre's also need to be replaced soon.
Overall the ownership has been very enjoyable.
1st Service - Rs.9700
2nd Service - Rs.8500
First, the car has had 2 brake downs and 1 trouble.
1) Smoke was coming from the engine after a highway run and the reason was loose fuel injector connection or something. The car was towed away and spent a good 2 days in the remand of VW. They rectified the problem under warranty. No money spent!
2) The car refused to start and was again towed away free of cost. But this time the Fuel Pump had died and had to be replaced. 2 days vacation and Rs.13000 bill.
3) The front brake pads were unevenly worn and resulted in a strange braking effect. Front brake setup had to be replaced. Cost Rs.19000 including 3rd service.
Total Maintenance Cost - Rs 50200 for 36000 Kms.
But the VW Service experience has been very good in my case. Even all the 3 services done went smoothly. The service costs were also not absurd. Build and ride quality are superb. Would I buy a VW again?? Definitely. Feeling like Once a German always a German.
Now coming to the current scenario, the cars and reasons -
1) Skoda Rapid : TDed the 1.5 TDI. Really good engine. Has all the necessary features, superb ride and handling along with that European build. Price came to around Rs.10.8 OTR for the Amb+ model with Free Alloys & Insurance, RSA,Extended warranty. Only missing Climate control and Projectors compared to Elegance.
Didn't consider Vento as no good offers were available and feeling Rapid's front end will provide a change from the Polo.
2) Honda City : Interested only in the Petrol. Like the car but have to compromise on that build quality. The major setback is after reading a Niggles compilation of ANHC on some other forum about the car twitching directions on highways. Please help me on this specifically. Any TAI
Honda City owners facings those issues mentioned in that thread and also suggest which variant - SV or V is better ?
OTR - SV: 10L V:10.6L
3) XUV 500 W6 : Little bit above the budget but thinking about the resale value and real estate it offers. Worried about ride and quality. Your opinion guys ??
4) Ecosport Titanium+ (D) : All is well but feeling like another hatch.
OTR - 11.7L
Duster : Don't like the looks
Ciaz : Average power-plants
Fiesta : Rear seat (would check it out)
Terrano : Pricey (but like the exteriors)
Linea : No disrespect but don't like the front fascia
Verna : IMHO Honda City is better
Car would be used mostly in Hyderabad and highway trips. Family of 3 and sometimes 2 Grandparents. Would be owning for about 3-4 years hence good resale value would be good addition but not the criteria. Service costs and maintenance are also not much influential.
That was a long post !