Upgrading From a Polo. Help Me Out!

Thread Starter #1
Hello guys

This is Aakash from Hyderabad.

We are having a 2011 Polo CL(D) which has run about 36000 Kms and is in pretty good condition. Had thought about changing it last year but couldn't as it was serving well.
So currently just thinking about a change as good year-end offers are available as well as the extended warranty expires next April and Tyre's also need to be replaced soon.

Overall the ownership has been very enjoyable. [evil]

1st Service - Rs.9700
2nd Service - Rs.8500

First, the car has had 2 brake downs and 1 trouble.
1) Smoke was coming from the engine after a highway run and the reason was loose fuel injector connection or something. The car was towed away and spent a good 2 days in the remand of VW. They rectified the problem under warranty. No money spent!

2) The car refused to start and was again towed away free of cost. But this time the Fuel Pump had died and had to be replaced. 2 days vacation and Rs.13000 bill.

3) The front brake pads were unevenly worn and resulted in a strange braking effect. Front brake setup had to be replaced. Cost Rs.19000 including 3rd service.

Total Maintenance Cost - Rs 50200 for 36000 Kms.

But the VW Service experience has been very good in my case. Even all the 3 services done went smoothly. The service costs were also not absurd. Build and ride quality are superb. Would I buy a VW again??

Definitely. Feeling like Once a German always a German. [:D]

Now coming to the current scenario, the cars and reasons -
Likes -
1) Skoda Rapid : TDed the 1.5 TDI. Really good engine. Has all the necessary features, superb ride and handling along with that European build. Price came to around Rs.10.8 OTR for the Amb+ model with Free Alloys & Insurance, RSA,Extended warranty. Only missing Climate control and Projectors compared to Elegance.

Didn't consider Vento as no good offers were available and feeling Rapid's front end will provide a change from the Polo.

2) Honda City : Interested only in the Petrol. Like the car but have to compromise on that build quality. The major setback is after reading a Niggles compilation of ANHC on some other forum about the car twitching directions on highways. Please help me on this specifically. Any TAI Honda City owners facings those issues mentioned in that thread and also suggest which variant - SV or V is better ?
OTR - SV: 10L V:10.6L

3) XUV 500 W6 : Little bit above the budget but thinking about the resale value and real estate it offers. Worried about ride and quality. Your opinion guys ??

4) Ecosport Titanium+ (D) : All is well but feeling like another hatch.
OTR - 11.7L
Dislikes -
Duster : Don't like the looks
Ciaz : Average power-plants
Fiesta : Rear seat (would check it out)
Terrano : Pricey (but like the exteriors)
Linea : No disrespect but don't like the front fascia
Verna : IMHO Honda City is better

Car would be used mostly in Hyderabad and highway trips. Family of 3 and sometimes 2 Grandparents. Would be owning for about 3-4 years hence good resale value would be good addition but not the criteria. Service costs and maintenance are also not much influential.

That was a long post !

Re: Upgrading from a Polo. Help me out !

would recommend vento above rapid. when honda city comes into picture, the recommendation would be honda city. As everyone know what a honda is. from my experiences, Honda is better than Volkswagen and skoda in maintenance and reliability.

XUV is diff bread altogher, though it has a monocpque frame the handling the above said 3 sedans can't be matched. the ride quality is also a bit jittery at high speeds. you get acres of space.

I would put the handling of ecosport of just like XUV. so it's has to be sedan and UV buying dilemena.

If you want a fast car,braking, no body roll, it's has to be from the sedans. the priorty is city, vento, rapid

if you want a excellent GC, commanding view of the road, spacious cabin, it would be UV's. and priortiy is XUV, ecosport.

You didn't consider Tata safari strome and duster in UV segment?

Thread Starter #3

Thanks pravin1987
On the maintenance part your are absolutely right, Honda is better.
But as I said there are a lot of problems which I wanted some clarification and but any day Honda cannot match the build and ride quality of the Europeans or their handling. What Honda offers is a feature-rich, reliable and spacious car! I don't want that many features or Honda reliability but space is welcome anytime.

IMHO Honda is going the Suzuki way to compete with Hyundai. Or has it already gone ?

Removing the XUV from my list.
I will checkout the Storme.

If you enjoy handling and built of vehicle,go for ecosport, fiesta 14 is even better in suspension and steering when compared with ecosport

there are 2 honda in my family and few in my neighbourhood, all of them are happy owners.

great that you decided to checkout strome. Be prepared for lack of features that the competition offers, a few sour plastics( strome is way ahead of old safari in plastic quality), the ride quality is super and excellent GC., awesome torque.

if you are gonna choose the strome, you aren't a car driver/owner. you will be a truck driver/owner.

didn't you consider duster?

Out of your list I vote for Rapid for
- Build quality (same as your current ride. After driving Polo it would be difficult for you to live with Japanese)
- Good highway handling
- Recent JP power scores get back the faith (on the car and the brand aswell)

Ecosport will be next on the list, do TD to understand the performance part (especially the handling characteristics, which will not be at par with your current ride)

XUV is put together a different league. If you could extend your budget and wish to live with the bulky size in Hyderabad, there is no much negatives with the selection. You can go with it. Decide if you need those acres of space for a family of 3+2.

Since you are used to the German quality and build, you will regret buying City due to its poor build and interiors.
From the list, I would suggest to go for Rapid. Vento interiors feels similar to polo hence you may not feel like an upgrade after some time.
Ciaz in one such car which has all the parameters in right amount hence I would suggest you to take an TD before ruling them out only because of power plant.

Thread Starter #9

Thanks everyone for your replies.
VISHNUCARCRAZY : Both are great driver vehicles but I feel they are little short on space. Even the quality feels good. Would have to visit Ford once!!

pravin1987 : Enquired about Storme prices are about 11.5-14.7 after discounts. But a major upgrade is due hence now's not the best time for the beast. Duster is also pretty bare bones and my mother didnt like the interiors. Terrano was appealing!!

VM2011 : I dont feel the need of DSG. But no harm in checking. Vento or Rapid DSG ??

Mr.BOSS : Exactly. I think I should drop the SUV's. Sedans or Terrano or Ecosport. BTW how is the quality levels in Nissan. Are they good ?? Is it worth 12-13L ?

Karthick raja : I am not much worried about the build quality of City. But the issues and troubles reported in other forum are the deal breakers. Ciaz looks good and VFM.

After your inputs the following cars are on my mind :
1) Skoda Rapid
2) Volkswagen Vento
3) Ford Fiesta
4) Ford Ecosport
5) Nissan Terrano
6) Maruti Ciaz
7) Honda City

The deal on Rapid Diesel @10.8L is really tempting me. The major difference between Vento and Rapid is that Vento Highline only makes sense as all the cabin looks good with chrome,etc. Rapid is cheaper and even the Ambition Plus model is loaded except Climatronic ACC and Projectors as Alloys are being freely offered. Vento also doesnt have good offers.So I save a lot on Rapid Diesel Amb+ i.e more than a lac.

Fiesta AFAIK has no good offers. Ecosport cost about 11.7L. Terrano 85Ps RXL Plus about 13L. City Petrol - 10.6L.
Basically the deals are the reason Rapid is much better looking than the others.

BTW how is the quality levels in Nissan. Are they good ?? Is it worth 12-13L?
Terrano is basically a rebadged Duster (Renault) and don't worry much about the quality. Regarding pricing, if you can live with the looks and NVH (comparatively) of Duster, it is available at a Cheaper price. Or when you are already sold to Terrano, don't mind the excess penny you are paying.

Still I vote for Rapid, considering the build, performance, features and pricing.

Thread Starter #11

Terrano is basically a rebadged Duster (Renault) and don't worry much about the quality. Regarding pricing, if you can live with the looks and NVH (comparatively) of Duster, it is available at a Cheaper price. Or when you are already sold to Terrano, don't mind the excess penny you are paying.

Still I vote for Rapid, considering the build, performance, features and pricing.
Terrano is a good vehicle but after paying 13L, some of he basic features should be standard. Even Ecosport is seeming to be expensive @11.7 for the Top-end diesel. City Petrol is a no-no now as Rapid Diesel is Available at same price.

Just saw a Ford Ad in newspaper with Rs.54000 offers on Fiesta. That should put the Titanium model on par with the Rapid's offer. What is your opinion on Fiesta vs Rapid ??
My mother likes the Ciaz, so have to take a look.

Finally it seems Sedan it would be.
Rapid or Fiesta or Vento or Ciaz!

Top Bottom