Etios Petrol or Fiesta Classic Petrol?

Thread Starter #1
A prelude before the question -

We, a family of 4, own a TDi Indigo, in the LS version since April 2007. The car has run in excess of 1.5L kilometers till date, and is running fine as of today. Barring a few hundred, the rest are all driven by myself. An off topic but interesting thing about this car is, I have never sat in the back seat of this car while it was being driven! [lol]
Apart from the routine maintenance, the piston rings and turbo of this car have been changed. The work was done post the 1L mark, and the same can be attributed to the negligence on my part.
The Tata can run well for another 70-80000 kilometers for fine, but the proposed deregulation of diesel prices, and reduced driving has compelled us to look for a petrol sedan. Hence, I am in the market for an entry level sedan, employing a petrol engine.

My requirements are fairly simple -
1. Powerful and fuel efficient engine.
2. Spartan, but spacious interiors.
3. Back seat comfort over long drives.
4. Cheap and fuss free services over long term.
5. Reliability.

Based on my requirements, I knew that I had to walk to the showrooms of Toyota and Honda, as only these 2 brands provide for all 5 of my requirements in the Etios and Amaze. Hence I decided to visit the Toyota first.

We've a Toyota dealer in our city, who had also opened an ad campaign outlet in different parts of the city to promote the Etios Cross. They had also given ads in local newspapers quoting the prices. I casually went at the stall to know about the prices, fuel economy, exchange offers, etc. I asked him for the prices of base and mid variant petrol, and he explained to me the features. When asked for price, he quoted Re 6.97L for the base petrol. You're right, 6.97L for base petrol. [frustration] Then I asked for F.E. and he said 23. After a short chat on the new legislation on ABS, Air bags, etc, I decided to leave. He asked for my contact details and I did not provide. How can the dealer or the ad persons provide such info?, I wondered.

I have not yet visited the Honda yet, will visit soon.

Now my head and heart both are in favor of this car, and I have mostly planned this one to buy. But, some people also suggested to give the Fiesta Classic a see. Question to TAI-gers here, how fuel efficient the Fiesta is? I am not the funky interiors type buyer, hence did not consider the Hyundai and Maruti. I don't feel that they are that rugged too.

Please suggest.

Fiesta Classic
Question to TAI-gers here, how fuel efficient the Fiesta is?
Don't be surprised to see single digit figures during City running. Classic is more fun to drive car rather than fuel efficient.

From my experience I managed to get
City : 9~11kmpl
Highway : 13~15kmpl

Vibhor should be able to give a fair idea, do visit his ownership review.

Well,Looking At your Requierements,I would go with the Fiesta Classic 1.6.Awesome Engine and OK FE (Not meant for FE).It meets all of your Requirements.May I know your Maximum Budget ?

Thread Starter #4
Don't be surprised to see single digit figures during City running. Classic is more fun to drive car rather than fuel efficient.

From my experience I managed to get
City : 9~11kmpl
Highway : 13~15kmpl

Vibhor should be able to give a fair idea, do visit his ownership review.
Thanks, will search for the review. I will have to look out for the availability of spares too. As of now, Ford does not have a functional dealership in my city, however a family friend has been granted one.

Well,Looking At your Requierements,I would go with the Fiesta Classic 1.6.Awesome Engine and OK FE (Not meant for FE).It meets all of your Requirements.May I know your Maximum Budget ?
Decent FE is a requirement too. I think amongst the two, the Etios should be more fuel efficient.

How about the Amaze in between these 2?

Last edited:
If you are going to for Diesel Fiesta Classic [Top variant] - no word, surely THUMBS UP.

I would suggest a TOP variant car most of times, as it has ABS+EBD+Airbag. According to me buying a car without ABS and Airbag is compromising you & your family safety for [a lac of Rupee].

Many companies can serve you with What you need. But the thing is you need to choose a right RIDE.

If you are not looking for a 5 seater then TATA Zest for MS Dzire is better VFM car.

I think you should give a try for Hyundai i20 Elite, a premium hatchback with lot of space and feature.

Nissan Terrano may be also good choice considering its size, space, ground clearance and good refined engine. [take TD]

Thread Starter #9
If you are going to for Diesel Fiesta Classic [Top variant] - no word, surely THUMBS UP.

I would suggest a TOP variant car most of times, as it has ABS+EBD+Airbag. According to me buying a car without ABS and Airbag is compromising you & your family safety for [a lac of Rupee].

Many companies can serve you with What you need. But the thing is you need to choose a right RIDE.

If you are not looking for a 5 seater then TATA Zest for MS Dzire is better VFM car.

I think you should give a try for Hyundai i20 Elite, a premium hatchback with lot of space and feature.

Nissan Terrano may be also good choice considering its size, space, ground clearance and good refined engine. [take TD]
I will be buying a petrol car, as my usage does not warrant a diesel.

I do not think that the Hyundais, even the petrol cars, are cheaper to maintain in the long run. I have driven the old generation Verna, i10 and Eon, did not like the light steering, furthermore I am not a fan of cozy interiors, electronics, etc. Hence Hyundai is not my choice.

You're right on the ABS part, and I will keep it in mind before making a decision, however after reading about all the current recalls by various manufacturers over faulty / failure to deploy air bag modules, I doubt if I can rely on air bags, more than the ABS.

Well Zest scores much hiher over Amaze and etios. Do have a look at Zest before you strike it off.
I asked my Indigo's mechanic's opinion on the new turbo petrol offering from Tata. He dismissed it before I completed pronouncing the word "Zest". That was sufficient for me [:)]

@ swapnil Ford Petrol Cars are a bit costlier to maintain in the long run for sure. so my vote would never go for fiesta petrol, if it was diesel surely would have recommended nothing but fiesta.having said that Toyota is also not that pocket friendly to maintain TATA zest is something i would recommend, However you dismissed it from your list. why dont you try VENTO or something from the stable of SKODA may be RAPID

Thread Starter #11
@ swapnil Ford Petrol Cars are a bit costlier to maintain in the long run for sure. so my vote would never go for fiesta petrol, if it was diesel surely would have recommended nothing but fiesta.having said that Toyota is also not that pocket friendly to maintain TATA zest is something i would recommend, However you dismissed it from your list. why dont you try VENTO or something from the stable of SKODA may be RAPID
I won't mind to spend more on spare parts as such. The thing why I am in favor of Toyota is the reliability they offer, and secondly my limited budget. A property developer friend has 2 diesel Etios, my Indigo mechanic himself owns 2 Innovas. They all vouch for the Toyota reliability. My mechanic is a veteran with Tata IDI engines, DI engines, etc. His opinion is, if buying diesel, then it should be Indigo cr4. If petrol, then Etios.
As far as Ford is concerned, yes, the Classic is a superb package, but then again low fuel economy and non functional dealership in my city concerns me. Dealership is granted but is yet to commence business.
Skoda, Volkswagen, etc are too costly to buy and maintain and they do not have or plan to have their dealership in our city any time soon.

My budget is sale proceeds of Indigo (2L) + 4L, 6Lac maximum.

Last edited:
Tata Zest D/P>Etious Diesel >Indigo CS Diesel> Amaze > Dzire Tour D/P> M Verito

Ford calssic cars are on their end of life stage and they may not be in production more than one year i guess. Classic and Etios petrols are not known for their milage.Since you used to Diesel engines, i would suggest you only diesels.You will not feel the petrol engines in the budget are powerful.

As you already mentioned your all requirement will be fulfilled in a Toyota if you ready to extend the budget to 2 more lakhs and go for Etious GD diesel.

If you ready to buy another Tata, check out Tata Zest.

At your budget, as your mechanic told Indigo CS diesel is best option( the issue with indigo is this car may not be in production after 1-2 years.).

Amaze petrol/Diesel-is a good buy if your budget allow .

If you ready to forget the back seat comfort you can check out Swift dezire/ tour which available in Diesel & petrol varient too.

You can also check out the Chevy Sail Sedan if at all you are looking at the Dzire because of Much better Space in both Interiors and Boot,Better Seat-comfort,Awesome Ride Quality and also a Decent Diesel Engine with good power and good mileage (Sure it ain't good as the Dzire's diesel but sure is very competetive)

@ bharathbig b agreed with you on the sail sedan however the petrol variants have a gearbox problem is what i had heard initially dunno whether its been resolved. however having said that it is The Spacious sedan. do consider it Swapnil Interiors are a bit boring though

Top Bottom