New XUV500 or New Toyota Fortuner 4x4 or Used BMW X3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Budget- 15-35 lakhs
New-XUV or Fortuner
Used-BMW x3
Location-Gurgaon
Top 6 priorities- Comfort,features,safety,7 seater and good GC for Gurgaon's extremely high speed breakers, powerful engine.
Monthly running-1000 kms or less
Fuel- Diesel
Purpose- Regular use, occasional 7 people sitting, rare offroading but sometimes going to places like Dharamshala, Barsana etc, should have the lugging capacity.
Seating Capacity-7 preferably.
Only SUV's please.
I know that the X3 cannot be considered an SUV but looks good, is VFM and can get a good used deal so considering it for the Snob value and the engine with the Auto tranny.
Already test-drove the PajeroSport but it was too noisy for our liking and felt a little underpowered. The SA brought a new car with the ODO disconnected, so I told my dad and he drove carefully not revving the engine etc. but it felt too underpowered and without any low end torque. Coming from a Skoda Rapid which is a fast beast, we would like an upgrade not a downgrade in engine power. Please pour in the suggestions.

Last edited:
Re: New XUV5oo or new Toyota Fortuner 4x4 or used BMW x3?

Well, you have already phased out the Pajero Sport which is superior in comfort (my personal opinion) than all the other SUVs, can't say about X3 as i have never driven it. I would never recommend a used BMW or any other car for that matter. But my suggestion would be to take a look at Hyunda Santa Fe instead of Xuv 500.

PS- One of you reqirement says occasional 7 people sitting which I doubt is possible in X3.

Thread Starter #3

Well, you have already phased out the Pajero Sport which is superior in comfort (my personal opinion) than all the other SUVs, can't say about X3 as i have never driven it. I would never recommend a used BMW or any other car for that matter. But my suggestion would be to take a look at Hyunda Santa Fe instead of Xuv 500.

PS- One of you reqirement says occasional 7 people sitting which I doubt is possible in X3.
Thanks for the reply garry I just had one query regarding Santa Fe that how is the acceleration compared to Xuv? I think that the engine has linear acceleration compared to XUV but have no clue as my father has never driven it. And as i have seen in a review there is absolutely no headroom in the last row. Im 6.0ft. and will be sitting in the last row the most. So consider that as a requirement too.

Last edited:

I am 5.11 ft and can relate to your problem in that matter [:)]. As for the last row requirement I would suggest that you take a TD of the Fortuner but its not very comfy and has a very bouncy ride in both 2nd and 3rd row. My parents after travelling in a friend's Fortuner cancelled the idea of buying as i was planning to buy one. I would not advice you to buy Santa Fe now that you have mentioned you are 6ft and I agree with the headroom space. XUV makes more sense but has more or less niggles attached to it. I would still suggest you to take a TD of Pajero Sport one more time as it ticks most of your requirement and is comfy when it comes to 2nd and 3rd row but lacks in network department if that's ok with you. Take a look at Chevrolet Captiva AWD (AT) also, which is under 35 lakhs.

If you can afford the Fortuner and Santa Fe, avoid the XUV!

My preference is as follows:

* Santa Fe
* XUV5OO
* Fortuner
* BMW X5

Santa Fe is a superb vehicle which is very under rated. XUV5OO is much more comfortable, safer, refined and loaded with features when compared to the Fortuner IMHO.

I will not recommend the XUV if you have this budget as maintenance can be very heavy.

I think you should give a try for Hyundai Santa Fe , a big and comfortable car with lot of luxury features. Santa Fe has already given good competition to German in Europe and US .

I would suggest Mahindra SsangYong Rexton (as it is more robust compared to XUV500 but try 3rd row seat in TD as like most SUV, 3rd row is meant for in laws or kids.)

Also give one prejudice free TD for SantaFE & PS Sports / Limited edition, as both are quite impressive in their own class - PS for robust off road driving capabilities & SantaFE as soft roader but pleasant interiors.

Don't even think of X3 as space is no match to SUVs.

Thread Starter #11
I am 5.11 ft and can relate to your problem in that matter [:)]. As for the last row requirement I would suggest that you take a TD of the Fortuner but its not very comfy and has a very bouncy ride in both 2nd and 3rd row. My parents after travelling in a friend's Fortuner cancelled the idea of buying as i was planning to buy one. I would not advice you to buy Santa Fe now that you have mentioned you are 6ft and I agree with the headroom space. XUV makes more sense but has more or less niggles attached to it. I would still suggest you to take a TD of Pajero Sport one more time as it ticks most of your requirement and is comfy when it comes to 2nd and 3rd row but lacks in network department if that's ok with you. Take a look at Chevrolet Captiva AWD (AT) also, which is under 35 lakhs.
Hi just took a TD of the Fortuner and did not like it one bit. Ride was too bouncy and the car doesn't have many features. But the +ves are that the engine was silent for the car having such a huge engine, space was quite a bit,looks are great,third row has great headroom and legroom.I am sorry but my Grandma and Grandpa and dad and mom have refused for the PS. They just didn't like it.Will try getting a TD done of the Chevrolet tomorrow. The Fortuner is on the final list though because of having more +ves then -ves.

If you can afford the Fortuner and Santa Fe, avoid the XUV!

My preference is as follows:

* Santa Fe
* XUV5OO
* Fortuner
* BMW X5

Santa Fe is a superb vehicle which is very under rated. XUV5OO is much more comfortable, safer, refined and loaded with features when compared to the Fortuner IMHO.

I will not recommend the XUV if you have this budget as maintenance can be very heavy.
Ok got it but any reason to go against XUV? We TD'ed it and found it great in engine power,refinement,features,space etc. BUT the looks are a big downer and may be the only deal breaker apart from the niggles. The SantaFe as clarified by garry does not have the headroom required by me. Though will check it out.

I think you should give a try for Hyundai Santa Fe , a big and comfortable car with lot of luxury features. Santa Fe has already given good competition to German in Europe and US .
Yes as said i will be checking out SantaFe soon. Hyundai is as always generous in features and Hyundai diesels are famous for refinement. Though my only doubt apart from headroom is that how is the engine's pulling power? My Dad really likes that push in the seat feeling that we get from our Skoda Rapid and he found it there in XUV also.

Sorry for the error.

I meant -

I will not recommend the X5 if you have this budget as maintenance can be very heavy.
My friend the X5 was never in contention as its out of our budget. It is the X3. Do you have the same point going against the X3?

Santa fe and XUV 500 fits your bill perfectly.

Don't go for an X3 unless you are aware of the maintenance costs.
Well technically no I'm not aware of the maintenance cost but hey, BMW's are built to last.

If BMW is VFM for you then go for it . Try rexton too.
The BMW is extremely VFM thats how it came into contention. The only thing stopping uf from looking at Ssangyong Rexton is that the resale value and the third row floor. If I'm right then i will have to sit cross legged in the last row!

I would suggest Mahindra SsangYong Rexton (as it is more robust compared to XUV500 but try 3rd row seat in TD as like most SUV, 3rd row is meant for in laws or kids.)

Also give one prejudice free TD for SantaFE & PS Sports / Limited edition, as both are quite impressive in their own class - PS for robust off road driving capabilities & SantaFE as soft roader but pleasant interiors.

Don't even think of X3 as space is no match to SUVs.
Got your point dhoom and will see Rexton. Though you being an owner, I have a question for you- How is the last row? Is it cramped? The legroom? Is there even any or I will have to sit cross legged because of the high floor? Sorry but the PS is out of contention because we rarely go offered and when we do, good ground clearance is the only thing we need because we won't be doing hardcore offroading.

Well technically no I'm not aware of the maintenance cost but hey, BMW's are built to last.
One of my friend bought a pre owned 5 series and trust me its pretty hard to maintain when not under BSI and BMW's reliability is questionable these days, you can search that on Internet.

IMHO Fortuner makes more sense than Santa Fe when it comes to space and ground clearance and Toyota's reliability has already been proven, can't say the same about Santa Fe (no offence to Santa Fe owners). But when plonking close to 30 lakh rupees I would any day pick Fortuner over Santa Fe.

If your budget is upto 35 lakhs then forget XUV.IMHO the only thing that makes xuv 500 superior to fortuner is its ride quality,since xuv is a monocoque construction.On the other hand bmw will eat your money when you go for a service or change of spare.Go for fortuner any day and feel the power of 3kd-ftv[:D]

Ok got it but any reason to go against XUV? We TD'ed it and found it great in engine power,refinement,features,space etc. BUT the looks are a big downer and may be the only deal breaker apart from the niggles. The SantaFe as clarified by garry does not have the headroom required by me. Though will check it out.
I am not against the XUV, it was a typo. I meant the X3.

Almost all the niggles in the XUV has been sorted out and it is a decently reliable vehicle now.

My friend the X5 was never in contention as its out of our budget. It is the X3. Do you have the same point going against the X3?
I hold the same point for the X3.

If your budget is upto 35 lakhs then forget XUV.IMHO the only thing that makes xuv 500 superior to fortuner is its ride quality,since xuv is a monocoque construction.
Features? Safety? Handling?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15
One of my friend bought a pre owned 5 series and trust me its pretty hard to maintain when not under BSI and BMW's reliability is questionable these days, you can search that on Internet.

IMHO Fortuner makes more sense than Santa Fe when it comes to space and ground clearance and Toyota's reliability has already been proven, can't say the same about Santa Fe (no offence to Santa Fe owners). But when plonking close to 30 lakh rupees I would any day pick Fortuner over Santa Fe.
Me too would pick the Fortuner. Today going to see the used BMW's and if a good deal isn't found then gonna seal the deal with a Toyota Fortuner or XUV5oo. Got your point for the BSI thing,will try to see how the car is driven and maintained. If there is even one bad squeak I will walk away. Lets see.

If your budget is upto 35 lakhs then forget XUV.IMHO the only thing that makes xuv 500 superior to fortuner is its ride quality,since xuv is a monocoque construction.On the other hand bmw will eat your money when you go for a service or change of spare.Go for fortuner any day and feel the power of 3kd-ftv[:D]
Already TD'ed the Fortuner. +ves- Great space, good looks, good GC, masks speeds very well and the engine is quite powerful and torquey. -ves- No rear disk brake- car drifts away when parked on an incline,too common and is starting to get a politico kind of reputation ( no offence to Fortuner owners please) , gruff engine and not as refined as the XUV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom