Confused in Choosing a New C-Segment Car

Thread Starter #1
Guys need help in deciding between 2 cars basically- Honda city ivtec VX-2014 and Ford fiesta titanium -2014.(Budget maximum 11 lakhs on road price)
My basic requirements are ride comfort, adequate power and fuel efficiency.
And Honda city owners, can you guys please tell me what's the maintenance cost of it annually. I love the luxury in Honda city and Handling in Ford fiesta.
Can't decide between these too.Please help.[confused]

My annual commute is 10000km,with occasional long drives to chennai and bangalore from trivandrum.

Last edited:
Re: Confused in choosing a c segment car

Vishnu i think if you want to balance both the act simultaneously you can at least once test drive linea t-get top variant and then decide . Lots of issues with 4th gen honda city owners both petrol and diesel .

Biggest concern with fiesta is its 156mm ground clearance which is not adequate for indian road conditions .

My basic requirements are ride comfort, adequate power and fuel efficiency.
I love the luxury in Honda city and Handling in Ford fiesta.
Is your primary requirements "Ride" or "Handling"?
Out of these 2 cars, I would stick with Honda. Their petrol mills are well refined and rev friendly, of course pocket friendly too. You will get sufficient space at the rear (better than Fiesta) City isn't poor in handling department, it is a step below Fiesta / Linea (far better than many other cars in this segment)

Regarding the maintenance, part replacement will be costlier when compared with other Japanese and Koreans, but not to forget they are built to last (only worry is during a mishap) Regular service is reasonable.

linea t-get top variant
I was about to suggest the same. Linea T-Jet is best choice if you could live with the limited A.S.S.

Why dont you go for the new Ciaz. Test drove the car one week back. It lacks power but have more leg room compared to City or Fiesta [:)]

I Second Mr Boss. Fiesta is definetly good when it comes to handling.However regarding On Road and after sales i think honda is better, as well as maintenance cost of fiesta can be a bit higher than city ( I own a fiesta Diesel not sure about petrol varient). its always said in our group of friends that one who drives a Honda will Always go for Honda that's the trust they gain. I'm not sure how the service is where you are but where I'm they are too good. Even I would Suggest a HONDA CITY strongly.

Thread Starter #6
Thanks to quick response guys
One doubt still haunts :
Are fiat cars pocket friendly?

I want my dad also to test drive both- city,fiesta.( fiat I am considering later).
Within a week will let you know guys.

Thanks to quick response guys
One doubt still haunts :
Are fiat cars pocket friendly?
Modern Diesel Cars have service interval of 15K. Maintaining it as per the schedule will not be a uphill task. But things will be really hard while we start to replace parts due to the wear and tear like Clutch, Timing Set, Cooling Gasket etc. I believe service till 1 lac kms will not bother you much. Regarding FIAT, FIAT has a new Showroom now in Trivandrum and they have to fulfill the customer's requirements.

If you are looking for a perfect drivers car and if you wish to drive always go for the Fiesta.

If you commute with 5 members often, you need more roomy interior and a premium feel go with the City.

Test Drive personally for better Diagnostics and also accompany a trusted knowledgeable friend with you.

Fiat T-Jet is more driver friendly than pocket friendly. By saying this, I don't mean it will leave a big hole in your pocket. Like ASIR mentioned, regular maintenance shouldn't be that costly, but when it comes to part replacement, you should have patience as well (speaking this based on past experience, not sure about the current situation)

Modern Diesel Cars have service interval of 15K.
Agreed, but the subject here is regarding Petrol counterparts.

Thread Starter #10
Modern Diesel Cars have service interval of 15K. Maintaining it as per the schedule will not be a uphill task. But things will be really hard while we start to replace parts due to the wear and tear like Clutch, Timing Set, Cooling Gasket etc. I believe service till 1 lac kms will not bother you much. Regarding FIAT, FIAT has a new Showroom now in Trivandrum and they have to fulfill the customer's requirements.

If you are looking for a perfect drivers car and if you wish to drive always go for the Fiesta.

Any idea regarding maintenance of city -ivtec sir.
How much is its fuel efficiency?

If you commute with 5 members often, you need more roomy interior and a premium feel go with the City.

Test Drive personally for better Diagnostics and also accompany a trusted knowledgeable friend with you.
Any idea regarding maintenance of city -ivtec sir.

A few years ago, if you were in the market for an efficient family sedan, an automatic variant would most likely not make it to your wish list. Because ATs back then were considered too expensive to buy and maintain, and were known to drain the fuel tank faster than a manual car. Plus, they weren’t too involving to drive, and were lethargic when it came to outright performance.

But increasingly wretched traffic, and the urge to opt for an easy-to-drive sedan have been bringing buyers back into showrooms looking for a comfortable automatic sedan. And it’s not just the premium segments – the C-segment too has started offering a variety of options – one of them being the new Honda City i-VTEC automatic.

Torchbearer of automatic sedans in India, and now in its fourth generation, the City is available with a newly developed CVT that is part of Honda’s Earth Dreams Technology. Honda claims its new CVT is more responsive and fuel efficient than the previous-gen CVT or the 5-speed AT. In fact, the official word is that it’s more efficient than even the manual variant, which returns 17.8kpl, compared to the CVT’s 17.9kpl.

Honda’s new City CVT now gets a torque converter along with the usual pulleys-and-belts business. It replaces the old dual-clutch ’box, which was marred by sluggish acceleration, and felt too strained up the rev band. And via various other advancements, Honda has made the new CVT lighter by 10 per cent.

So, does this change the way the new City drives? It sure does. Powered by an updated 1.5-litre i-VTEC petrol motor churning out 117bhp and 145Nm, the City AT takes off in a rather surprising manner. The initial hesitation and jerkiness of a typical dual-clutch CVT has been sorted with the use of a torque converter, which results in prompt acceleration from the word go.
Source:BBC TopGear Magazine India Car-Reviews - Review: Honda City i-VTEC CVT

For ride, handling , +4nm torque = fiesta . For space , +10bhp = city
FE is almost same for both. "HONDA is cheap to maintain" is a myth i suggest you take a look at the spare parts rate . If you want a sedan for 5 people then city / ciaz if you want fun then fiesta, linea .Best of both world - vento , rapid but won't be cheap to maintain.

Thread Starter #13
For ride, handling , +4nm torque = fiesta . For space , +10bhp = city
FE is almost same for both. "HONDA is cheap to maintain" is a myth i suggest you take a look at the spare parts rate . If you want a sedan for 5 people then city / ciaz if you want fun then fiesta, linea .Best of both world - vento , rapid but won't be cheap to maintain.
Hello bump that
I have learnt many things from your owners review thread on your fiesta.

Just wanted to know can 3 people adjust in back row seat(for short drives),or is that too highly uncomfortable.

...Any idea regarding maintenance of city -ivtec sir.
Vishnuji,
I feel the City is for VISHNU. The Linea T-Jet is bought out of unadulterated PASSION. IMHO, to a large extent, same is the case with the Fiesta. Driving, owning and servicing them are sort of Adventurous. It might suit VISHNUCARCRAZY, if you'd chosen your TAI ID on purpose.

The Petrol City gives the owner peace of mind, PERIOD. I've heard many owners report 13-15 kpl in city driving conditions. Pls do NOT give TOO MUCH importance to mileage; sorry, I do NOT mean to hurt anyone's sentiments, but, we are talking about a Rs. 10,00,000/- car here. Regd maintenance, Jazz needs service every 5,000 km. May be, in New City, it is every 10K interval. IIRC, old City needed Coolant replacement at 1,50,000 km[clap]. Irrespective of the brand, every 10,000 Km, you'll need to spend around Rs.10K. In a nut-shell, if it is Petrol, it HAS to be the CITY, CITY and CITY.

Time to go :offtopic:, while still mildly on-topic. Moderators, pls DON'T throw me out of TAI for frequent OTs. Say ciao to CIAZ. Except for the dimensions and price, it is NOT in the league. It is for VishnuGoneMad. However great the public support is for a "Brand New Gold Plated Cycle with Alloy Wheels and SPORTY Sun Glasses/T-Shirt/Shorts/Tie/Helmet plus free mobile phone charger (phew...) for the owner", a 30 year old TVS-50 will always leave it behind. Ours is the country that witnesses HUGE public support for ALL sorts of FUNNY people (you know who all I mean) in public life. CIAZ is a FUN attempt, that should never have left the Comic Book. Yo owners, SORRY to say this, but, when an i20 / Polo / Swift / XYZ overtakes you too frequently, don't hit your forehead too strong; it could be painful. If you are really very old and bought Ciaz for pure Comfort, Merc rivalling features, space age Engines and Gorilla Glass 007, then all I can do is [clap] and take a bow.

For ride, handling , 4nm torque = fiesta . For space , 10bhp = city
Agreed that the Honda spare parts are on the expensive side, but thier service cost is reasonable if not cheap. Ford is also very reasonable in terms of service cost, but the fact remains that only who own them know that, rest others keep on saying that Ford cars maintenance is on higher side. My bro's Ecosport recently had its 10k service, and bill was around Rs.28xx.

Rapid costs around 8-9k for service. Though its a 15000 km period.

Top Bottom