Used Hatchback Within Rs.2.5L. Which Car?

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

I am planning to buy a used car within a budget of 2.5L.

Reasons for searching used car.
1.) I am a newbie driver.
2.) Cannot spend EMIs at-least for next one year.
3.) But need car little urgent due to personal reasons.
4.) Probably will exchange it with a new car in a year.

My requirements for used car:
1.) Budget of 2.5L
2.) Only hatchback.
3.) Need a car which is currently in production.
4.) Not interested in Alto (incl K10), Nano.
5.) Manufacturing year not less than 2008.
6.) I should be the second owner.
7.) Need features like body colored bumpers, A/C, Power windows, Power steering.

Considering the above what car should i search for? Can someone please post it with reasons.

Re: Used car (hatchback) within 2.5L. Which car?

2008+ / HB / 2.5L

Anything apart from Alto family I could think of the below cars (all petrol)
Figo
- I don't have much experience to comment about petrol Figos
Punto
+ Easy to get
+ Solid build
+ Good ride & handling
- Less FE
- Blind spots
i10
+ Well established A.S.S
+ Better FE (comparatively)
- R&H is not upto the mark (personal opinion/experience)

Other cars that could get are Micra, Spark, Beat.

Re: Used car (hatchback) within 2.5L. Which car?

In that price range you could get WagonR, i10, chevy spark apart from alto and nano that you denied in your requirements.

Few cars in used vehicle market you will find more,

MS Swift
MS Wagon R
Hyundai i10
Tata Indica

Swift would be better choice to have if you are looking for changing in a year or so, coz it will give you VFM and better resale value.

If you are looking for long term use then Wagon R/i10 would be my recommendation.

Beat, Spark, Figo, Punto, i20, Ritz, Micra, Pulse can be considered for your short listing but, you may not find ample choice in market. These car wont give you resale value as these are cars not very popular in used car market.

My choice would be i10 as you can get a top end variant in good condition.

Used Cars in Chennai - Second Hand Cars in Chennai - CarWale

hyundai i10 asta

I think a Used 2011 Chevrolet Spark LT would be good Car under you Budget.She's still in Production and Chevy's are basically Trouble-free.It has Body Coloured RVMS,Bumpers and Door Handles.Please consider it.Thanks

Thread Starter #8
Hi All,
Thanks guys for your suggestions. Can anyone suggest what can be the maximum ODO reading i can go for?
Also, no one suggested for a Santro. Any specific reason for it? Just curious to know

I think a Used 2011 Chevrolet Spark LT would be good Car under you Budget.She's still in Production and Chevy's are basically Trouble-free.It has Body Coloured RVMS,Bumpers and Door Handles.Please consider it.Thanks
Thanks bharathbigb, Spark is in my list. Will check for good deal.

Few cars in used vehicle market you will find more,

MS Swift
MS Wagon R
Hyundai i10
Tata Indica

Swift would be better choice to have if you are looking for changing in a year or so, coz it will give you VFM and better resale value.

If you are looking for long term use then Wagon R/i10 would be my recommendation.

Beat, Spark, Figo, Punto, i20, Ritz, Micra, Pulse can be considered for your short listing but, you may not find ample choice in market. These car wont give you resale value as these are cars not very popular in used car market.

My choice would be i10 as you can get a top end variant in good condition.

Used Cars in Chennai - Second Hand Cars in Chennai - CarWale

hyundai i10 asta
Thanks amitpshelke for the suggestion. But going for i10 i see that i need to extend my budget to 3L in order to get a good car with low running and single owner. Most of the single owner cars are just above 2.75L atleast.

You should even get a Swift. Will be easier for you to sell after a year like you said.
Thanks Altocumulus. But will i be able to get a single owner swift with MFG year 2008 and after for 2.5L??

wagan r is the best option for you.regarding serviece and resale value.Also you can enjoy comfirt long drive also.
In that price range you could get WagonR, i10, chevy spark apart from alto and nano that you denied in your requirements.
Thanks milinda and vijay. Unfortunately i forgot to add Wagon-R to my list along with Alto and Nano. Somehow i am not convinced by the looks. Its just my opinion. Thanks for your suggestion though and I am sure getting a Wagon-R could not go wrong but just that it is not to my liking. And i will consider i10 and spark as per your suggestion.[:)]

2008+ / HB / 2.5L

Anything apart from Alto family I could think of the below cars (all petrol)
Figo
- I don't have much experience to comment about petrol Figos
Punto
+ Easy to get
+ Solid build
+ Good ride & handling
- Less FE
- Blind spots
i10
+ Well established A.S.S
+ Better FE (comparatively)
- R&H is not upto the mark (personal opinion/experience)

Other cars that could get are Micra, Spark, Beat.
Thanks Mr.Boss. I am eyeing for a good deal in i10. Somehow i am unable to find much on Punto and Figo for this price.[frustration]

Last edited:
Hi All,
Thanks guys for your suggestions. Can anyone suggest what can be the maximum ODO reading i can go for?
Also, no one suggested for a Santro. Any specific reason for it? Just curious

Thanks Altocumulus. But will i be able to get a single owner swift with MFG year 2008 and after for 2.5L??
Nowadays engines are pretty robust . 50k on the odo is fine. Santro just got discontinued. But it's still a great car.

You will get a swift in that price , just look around and be patient. Preferably go for one directly sold by the seller and not from a dealer unless really in a good condition.

However since you would sell it in a year, why do you want a 2008 + car. If you go earlier you will get it much cheaper and while selling your loss will be less. For example I bought a 2007 esteem vxi 60k on the odo for 1.25L , used it for near 3 years and 30k kms and sold it for 1.2L. Enjoyed every single moment driving and redlining it. Did not give me any hassle. Older cars depreciate much less if maintained properly. My 2 cents.

Last edited:
I happened to sell my 2007 December model zen estilo lxi in half the rate here in chennai. Contact me if interested :)
PS- Its a head turner [;)]

Thread Starter #12
Nowadays engines are pretty robust . 50k on the odo is fine. Santro just got discontinued. But it's still a great car.

You will get a swift in that price , just look around and be patient. Preferably go for one directly sold by the seller and not from a dealer unless really in a good condition.

However since you would sell it in a year, why do you want a 2008 + car. If you go earlier you will get it much cheaper and while selling your loss will be less. For example I bought a 2007 esteem vxi 60k on the odo for 1.25L , used it for near 3 years and 30k kms and sold it for 1.2L. Enjoyed every single moment driving and redlining it. Did not give me any hassle. Older cars depreciate much less if maintained properly. My 2 cents.
Thanks you Altocumulus. Yes. I just realized that Santro got discontinued. I am unable to find a swift with 2.5L (single owner, less ODO KM). I am just waiting for a right deal.

i10 is a good car you will get 2010 model in 2.5 lakh
Thanks joni_rajpura. Yes, i10 is in my top priority list. Waiting for some right deals.

I happened to sell my 2007 December model zen estilo lxi in half the rate here in chennai. Contact me if interested :)
PS- Its a head turner [;)]
Thanks Hari Nair for your offer. I am searching for something in production. But I can see your car is looking damn beautiful. Well maintained. [:)]

Top Bottom