Hyundai Verna or Renault Duster?

Thread Starter #1
Well both these vehicles are of different segments. But both these lie in my budget. I am considering a diesel vehicle. Both would be the base versions (verna 1.4 crdi base or duater 85 ps)and are roughly of the same cost. We have a running of roughly 120 km per day. So diesel only. Please help me guys with your valuable inputs on the two models.
1- We would keep the vehicle for roughly 3 years.
2- it would easily cross 1 lalh km. My present manza is already touching 1.2 lakh km.
3- mantainence cost. Which will be cheaper.
4- resale value. Which is better.

Also sunny, scala, city, linea are already out guys.i heard that verna timimg chain costs roghly 35k.

Re: Verna or Duster?

Well both these vehicles are of different segments. But both these lie in my budget. I am considering a diesel vehicle. Both would be the base versions (verna 1.4 crdi base or duater 85 ps)and are roughly of the same cost. We have a running of roughly 120 km per day. So diesel only. Please help me guys with your valuable inputs on the two models.
1- We would keep the vehicle for roughly 3 years.
2- it would easily cross 1 lalh km. My present manza is already touching 1.2 lakh km.
3- mantainence cost. Which will be cheaper.
4- resale value. Which is better.

Also sunny, scala, city, linea are already out guys.i heard that verna timimg chain costs roghly 35k.
Looking at your amount of running, I wanted to know what kind of roads do you generally travel on? Are they good laid highway roads or is it on some broken patch of roads.

Considering you were driving a Manza, I'm guessing you are already pampered with a lot of space. My vote would go for the Renault Duster for the sheer practicality and space it brings. But the base RXE variant is absolutely bare bones.

I guess maintenance wise both will be having more or less the same cost, Hyundai's are no more easy on the wallet. And in re-sale I guess, the Duster would fetch you a tad more after 3 years and 1 Lac on odo. But these are my plain guesses. Both cars are good in their own ways, you need to see which one ticks more boxes as per your requirements.

P.S. - I would advice to go for a car with basic security features such as dual Airbags and ABS as well. Honda City base model has ABS and driver side Airbag but it seems you have already ruled it out. How about the new VW Vento which comes with dual front Airbags as standard in base variant, ABS from the Comfortline trim. Do give it a thought.

Thread Starter #3

Hey thanks for your reply.
Actually my ride is 80% good highway. 20 %bad road.
Yes i will consider honda city. But i am doubtful on its REFINEMENT.
Giving a thought to vw is actually never my choice, considering the horror stories of vw and the exhorbitantly high mantainence of vw.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

I have a verna, and i took a TD of the duster. Both are in different league.
The interiors are pathetic in the duster but the suspension is amazing.

I even took a td of a verna diesel(friend's new one) the suspension js better and even the gear shifts were smoother than mine.

New verna is coming in jaunuary so yes , if you buy this , resale will be affected.

If you decide on verna , i'll say get the car in january , you might get above 60000rs discount on the older versions. You can either save your money or get an upper model at the same price.

As gm88 said , take the car which ticks most of the boxes.

Edit : just saw even the new duster facelift is coming in january [:D] so you should wait.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5

Well yes they are of different league. But they fit my budget.
As you own a verna. How is the long term mantainence? The parts are pretty expensive? Is 1.4 crdi a good one?

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

My car has just completed 19k (3 years) (petrol) haven't found any major issues.

Service cost will be high only when you complete 30k. (Only if you get all those extra things done (coolant , brake oil , gear oil , steering fluid)Otherwise bill should not be more than 5-6k. Free services should cost 2500 rs for diesel( labor is not charged) at 30k.

Thread Starter #8
Ruled out -
Sunny/scala - quirky design. No offence to anyone. Neither me nor my dad likes the design.
Vento/rapid - horror stories and high mantainence.
Honda city- high nvh. Will have to take another drive to see if we can live with that. Not really comfortable with the noise actually.

Running will be roughly 150 km per day. Four to five days a week. And one 600 km to and fro every two months.
We only get our drives (i20 and manza) serviced only at company workshop. No outsode options.
Willing to know which will be the best in terms of mantainence and resale. All our vehicles cross 1 lakh mark around 3 years.
Till now i am convinced that duster is slightly cheaper to mantain ans service. Where as verna is having high spare part cost as the service advisor told me even the timing chain will cost around 35000. [frustration]

Last edited:
Resale may be better for duster as we are SUV-friendly country[:D].

There's not much difference in reliability between those two atleast based on the public opinions. Yet, with Duster you can almost go over speedbreakers & potholes without worrying much and also less equipped to worry about electrical gadgetry failure over a long term. So, I prefer the Duster way!

Vento/rapid - horror stories and high mantainence.

Honda city- high nvh. Will have to take another drive to see if we can live with that. Not really comfortable with the noise actually.
Vento & Rapid have service intervals for 1 year/15000 kms, whichever is earlier, and it comes to around 7.5k ti around 10k. If this is still on the higher side for you, then you can strike these from you're list.

Honda City has noisy engine, I'll agree with that. But, the newer one's are less noisier then initial one's. You can ask the dealer to show the sound of a fresh car of recent month.

Between Duster & Verna, I'll choose the latter as its more premium and is also cheaper then Duster. Apart from Ground Clearance and tall stance, the Duster doesn't make sense over Verna.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Dear, Both segment vehicles serve their respective purpose. Both have their positives and negatives. I am providing you the TAI LINK to help you have a clear picture. You may refer to the viewpoints shared by members.

Ultimately, It boils down to personal choice.

Regards

Akash

Out of these 2 (Verna 1.4 & Duster RxE) I prefer Duster
Reason:
- Proven engine
- higher GC
- space (comparatively)
- better driving dynamics (since 80% of your driving is on highways)

Prioritize your criteria first (other than budget)
Verna - if you prefer looks and features
Duster - if you prefer performance
Regarding reliability and maintenance, both should be almost same. Don't go ONLY by the cost of timing chain, it doesn't need a frequent replacement.

Out of these 2 (Verna 1.4 & Duster RxE) I prefer Duster
Reason:
- Proven engine
- higher GC
- space (comparatively)
- better driving dynamics (since 80% of your driving is on highways)
My one of the friend has verna & one has Duster. When I plan for highway trip & need to go with friend, I prefer Duster, from 1 to 9 on scale of 1 to 10. Reasons are as elaborated above.

My advise, if you can stretch the budget little bit, go for Duster 110PS, that will come handy for years together.

@ shravan2k2 i think these vehicles come in diff segment altogether. however as you early post suggest that you are mainly gonna do highways both are good in thier own prospect. the difference is
If you are a fan of rugged looks and interior plastic doesn't matter to you then go for a 110 ps duster . if you are person who likes classy looks and polished interiors go for a verna fluidic. if you are a fan of polished looks than duster can be a good weekend car. Thats my opinion it may differ from person to person

If he could stretch his budget, I suggest to go for a 85PS engine with safety features rather than 110PS. The later one suffers a marginal (???) turbo lag compared with the 85ps.

Top Bottom