Buying Dilemma: Sedan or SUV

Thread Starter #1
Hello all,

I own a 2011 Ritz Vdi and also 2006 Chevrolet Optra(petrol) which I sold off few days back. Now, I am in search for a new car and would really appreciate your inputs for the same. I test drove the new Honda City, Skoda Rapid, Volkswagen Vento and had almost zeroed down to Honda City VX-MT petrol version until a friend suggested me to test drive the Reanult Duster AWD.

After taking the TD of Duster AWD I am quite stunned by this beast. I agree that there is no comparison between Honda City and Duster AWD as both of them belong to different segments but still I am confused as to which one to go for. Now its a heart over mind thing as the City offers more features and cabin space but still the heart is ready to pay an extra 4 lakhs for the Duster as the On Road Price here is approx 15.5 lakhs.[frustration] Also, there is a minimum 3 months waiting period for the City which is inclining me more towards the beast.

Please excuse me for such a juvenile query in my first post here but would really appreciate your opinions.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Buying dilemma : Sedan or SUV

See, There are a couple of things you need to mention before we can provide our suggestions:

1) Foremost is the Budget.

2) Whether you like Diesel or Petrol?

3) Do you prefer Manual transmission or Automatic Transmission?

4) Total Running per month.

5) Type of running on daily and monthly basis.

6) Parking Space in your establishment.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #3

See, There are a couple of things you need to mention before we can provide our suggestions:

1) Foremost is the Budget.

2) Whether you like Diesel or Petrol?

3) Do you prefer Manual transmission or Automatic Transmission?

4) Total Running per month.

5) Type of running on daily and monthly basis.

6) Parking Space in your establishment.

Regards

Akash
Hello Akash,

I really appreciate your quick response and also apologize for not mentioning these details in the first place.

1) My initial budget was for 12 lakhs and the City VX-MT was very much in my budget coming close to 11.5 lakhs. Now, the Duster AWD is costing me 15.5 lakhs and I am ready to extend my budget to this extent but would not like to go beyond that.

2) I already have a Ritz (diesel) with me and can go for another diesel but in case of Honda, I prefer petrol.

3) Manual transmission.

4) Total Running per month is close to 2000 kms.

5) It's mostly city driving with hardly one or two highway trips in a month and my daily commute route consists of very bad stretches of road.

6) Parking space is not an issue.

Thanks in advance. [:)]

Not sure if I fully understand your requirements,
1. Do you need Duster AWD, you intend a bit off-roading or drive through rough terrain?
2. Total running of 2000km/month seems to tilt towards a Diesel vehicle ( but understand you have the Ritz for that?) - If os how many kms the New vehicle will see?
3. How many Passengers and luggage will need to be considered on an average basis?

Going by your sketchy inputs a sedan will serve the purpose.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Going by your requirements, If you mostly drive in City then Honda City Petrol is fine since its a naturally aspirated 1.5 L petrol engine. Your average daily run would be 65 to 70 kilometer so in this a big Diesel vehicle does not make its way. This can be easily achieved by Honda City Ivtec. Also, it has improved ground clearance so those rough patches won't bother much.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #6

Thank you guys for your inputs and I myself was about to book the Honda City earlier.

Now, as I have already sold my Optra, I am looking to buy the new car in this month itself and the City is coming with a minimum 3 months waiting period.

We are four members in my family and have owned sedans like Opel Astra, Honda City ZX and the most recent one being Chevrolet Optra. I have always liked off-roading and would intend for the same if I purchase an SUV. I agree that the with imprroved ground clearance the City can go through rough patches easily but, when I drove it, I found the ride to be a bit bumpy(no offense to City owners, just putting up my own view).

In this case the ride quality of Duster was as per my liking. Now, as I am extending my budget till 15.5 lakhs, should I consider any other options or decide among the above two?

Thanks in advance [:)]

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Now, as I have already sold my Optra, I am looking to buy the new car in this month itself and the City is coming with a minimum 3 months waiting period.
Ankit, apology for replying late. In case of waiting period even Toyota Corolla Altis has a waiting of 2 months. In this month if you need delivery then Mahindra XUV 500 is good option. W8 with manual transmission model in U.P is costing 15 Lac on road (With subsidized Insurance Scheme). With XUV500 you can fulfill your desire of off-roading.

I agree that the with imprroved ground clearance the City can go through rough patches easily but, when I drove it, I found the ride to be a bit bumpy.
I own a 2011 model City I-vtec and the reason for the poor ride is simply because of the poor quality Tyre used in it. If the Tyre are upgraded to 195 section then the ride quality will surely improve.

In this case the ride quality of Duster was as per my liking. Now, as I am extending my budget till 15.5 lakhs, should I consider any other options or decide among the above two?
Ankit this segment is really limited at present but here are some option for you to consider:

1) XUV 500-Mahindra

2) Toyota Innova (top variant)

3) VW Jetta

4) Toyota Corolla Altis

5) Chevrolet Cruze

Regards

Akash

Guys, why not Fiat Linea T-Jet in case of sedan (190mm GC), solid as a rock. And for an SUV bent of mind, why not a Tata Safari Storme ? In fact, there is some thought process in our family also about picking up a good SUV . The Duster vs XUV vs Storme debate may come up.

Hi ankit350,

If you want to do some off-roading or if you want to drive in rough patches and if you are considering the Mahindra XUV 5oo and Tata Safari Storme then do consider the newly launched Tata Aria because suspension set up of the aria is more refined for the bad roads in India than the XUV 5oo or the Safari Storme (I Apologise to the pride owners of Mahindra XUV 5oo and Safari Storme , it is from my experience).

I have also test driven XUV 5oo and the Safari Storme in broken roads and while test-driving the salesman near me in the passenger seat was more afraid that he told me to drive the vehicle in the highway ( I didn't drive the vehicle in a rash manner but he was more afraid of it but I was letting each wheel of the vehicle to the broken patches) but my major purpose was to see the difference in the suspension setup .

I have also test driven the New Aria on Madurai here in some bad roads the suspension takes all the bumps only the real big one's are felt. And Aria feels more stable while braking than the Safari Storme as the Aria has all wheel disc brakes with ABS (Again I would like to apologise to the pride owners of the Safari Storme, it is from my experience) and the height of the storme is more than the Aria.

Aria has a proper front facing seats on all rows and it still has the space to keep our luggage even when the three rows are upright but the Storme has side facing seats at the last row and doesn't have enough luggage space.

So, I am not forcing you to book an Aria but just consider it and take a short test-drive on your regular commuting roads for getting a clear picture of it.

Thank you [:)]

Well, I am in the same dilemma currently. I am looking at the Duster AWD, XUV and Storme. I undertook a test drive of the XUV W8 on a very rough road patch recently. While the XUV didnt bottom out, I felt that the occupants would experience the body roll and pitch quite a bit. That may well be due to its tallish stance. While the Duster AWD, on a worse road (it wasnt a road frankly), was absolutely stunning. Again, I guess a compact body, and even better suspension and GC helped.
Havent driven the Aria.

3) Manual transmission.

4) Total Running per month is close to 2000 kms.

5) It's mostly city driving with hardly one or two highway trips in a month and my daily commute route consists of very bad stretches of road.

Thanks in advance. [:)]
Duster/Terrano fits your bill perfectly since your daily commute route consists of bad stretches, it will be dismissed with aplomb and your city commuting will be helped further by the compactness compared to XUV.

Go for 85PS variant as the turbo lag is much more manageable as well as it wont stretch your budget much.

Top Bottom