In Need For a Beater Car....

Thread Starter #1
Guys, after long I am back on this forum. And with a car query.

I currently have a Maruti Ertiga ZDi which is dad's daily drive to office. Then I have a VW Polo 1.2 Highline for my college runs but it is turning out to be a very expensive affair. Our petrol bills are coming to 10.5K per month! [cry]

So I am currently in the market for a used beater diesel or CNG car.

Budget: 50-150K.

Type of Fuel: CNG or Diesel

Type of Car: Hatch, Sedan or SUV (basically anything that fits.)

When Buying: All I can say in 1-2 months. I am saving it up for it myself.

I have seen some Esteems, Balenos, Palios, even the odd Corollas.

In my budget it is near impossible to get a good diesel. So CNG it has to be. 1.5 lac has some corolla with CNG fitted for sale. I feel that is best option then next is Baleno which I find to be the coolest car. So any suggestions for me guys?

Akash1886

Honoured Member
A used Toyota will be heavy on pocket to maintain. I would suggest you, buy a pre-facelift Alto or a Wagon R. I would not recommend a Esteem with CNG because it would be an after market fitment so will compromise on safety. In Baleno, you'll face issues of spare.

As you are in Noida, Check out Maruti True Value and even First Choice. Also there is a Jagdish Khattar's certified used car showroom near Silver Arrows and Audi Noida, Sector 8.

SUV is not available in this price range no matter how old.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #3
Sorry I am actually in Dwarka now just travel to Noida everyday. I am getting a mint 2005 Baleno with only 30K kms for 90K. Another 30-40K for a sequential CNG kit and 10K for a decent audio system. But only grouse the car is in Panipat. SUV is just an optimistic thought. :P

I am getting tons and tons of Alto and Wagon R in the market but those are not appealing to take to college everyday.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Oh ok. Panipat is about 100 kilometers from your place. For Baleno, as an individual, I am not comfortable because of the availability of spares and highly likely that you may have to pay the road tax again based on its actual purchase value and get it re-registered over here which adds to the above listed expenses. I am not finding Baleno viable somehow.

Based on traffic that we have in NCR and the lack of parking space here, a hatchback would be better choice.

Regards

Akash

350Z

Core Team
In my budget it is near impossible to get a good diesel. So CNG it has to be. 1.5 lac has some corolla with CNG fitted for sale. I feel that is best option then next is Baleno which I find to be the coolest car. So any suggestions for me guys?
You can own a Fiesta TDCi around this budget but finding a decent piece will be quite a task. Though it's a reliable machine but major issues could burn a hole in the pocket. Same is applicable to Accent CRDi. Anyways I'd also advise to consider a hatchback since that's what makes most sense. How about an Alto K10 or Swift (P)?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Our petrol bills are coming to 10.5K per month! [cry]
with 50~150k budget you could get a 5~8 year old hatch or a 10 year old sedan.

10.5k for your Polo alone or along with the other car at home? If it is the later, let's consider you spend 6~7k INR/month for your Polo. If I were you, I will use the Polo as my daily ride and use the 150k for petrol which will cover a couple of years.

Reason being,
- Additional insurance premium for the 3rd car (around 6~8k INR annually)
- Vehicle will be significantly old than your current vehicles and not sure about the upcoming maintenance expenses
- You may lose the safety features in Polo (may be)
- You may lose the fun-to-drive factor (unless you choose Baleno / Palio 1.6 / etc. but again I'm not sure about the performance with CNG)
- You should pay the Tax and get the fitness certificate done in another 3~4 years
- Known devil is better than unknown angel.

PS: If you have fixed your mind already to get another car, the Baleno you were speaking about seems to be a good deal (provided the odo reading is genuine and in immaculate condition)
If the car is maintained well, mechanical parts should last for another 30k km without any issues. Only issue will be the exterior parts replacement which will cost a hand and leg.

Thread Starter #7
You can own a Fiesta TDCi around this budget but finding a decent piece will be quite a task. Though it's a reliable machine but major issues could burn a hole in the pocket. Same is applicable to Accent CRDi. Anyways I'd also advise to consider a hatchback since that's what makes most sense. How about an Alto K10 or Swift (P)?

Drive Safe,
350Z
you know what. i have seen a couple Fiesta cars too with the 1.4 D motor. Have found a couple decent ones. Alto too small. Swift just too rare on the market and as soon as one comes, its sold. [cry]

with 50~150k budget you could get a 5~8 year old hatch or a 10 year old sedan.

10.5k for your Polo alone or along with the other car at home? If it is the later, let's consider you spend 6~7k INR/month for your Polo. If I were you, I will use the Polo as my daily ride and use the 150k for petrol which will cover a couple of years.

Reason being,
- Additional insurance premium for the 3rd car (around 6~8k INR annually)
- Vehicle will be significantly old than your current vehicles and not sure about the upcoming maintenance expenses
- You may lose the safety features in Polo (may be)
- You may lose the fun-to-drive factor (unless you choose Baleno / Palio 1.6 / etc. but again I'm not sure about the performance with CNG)
- You should pay the Tax and get the fitness certificate done in another 3~4 years
- Known devil is better than unknown angel.

PS: If you have fixed your mind already to get another car, the Baleno you were speaking about seems to be a good deal (provided the odo reading is genuine and in immaculate condition)
If the car is maintained well, mechanical parts should last for another 30k km without any issues. Only issue will be the exterior parts replacement which will cost a hand and leg.
Boss, the 10.5K is only for the Polo. The Polo will go to my mother and this car will be purely mine. Also coming through with some Indigo Dicor models. Suggested or should i just skip it?

... Maruti Ertiga ZDi ... Then I have a VW Polo 1.2 Highline for my college runs ...
Type of Fuel: CNG or Diesel
... Baleno ...
Forget all those Esteem, Baleno, Palio, Corollas etc oldies. IF there's an option, I'd rate Mr.Boss's advice a neat 5 Stars. Here's mine: Why NOT try and CNG convert your Polo. With a Diesel Ertiga at home, a CNG Polo could be a nice Beater Car. Even if a "Kit" is not available for Polo, with Delhi full of Ph.D's in "Jugaad", you can always find one who makes better than the original.

You'll NOT like this. When it takes so much time and effort to navigate thro' the roads from Dwarka to Noida, and utmost control not to use abusive words (while driving), why not take the Metro ? I've 126 horses under the hood, and believe me when I say that all those horses are tamed by Bengaluru Traffic [frustration].

Lastly, when you mentioned a budget cap of 1.5Lakhs, it is NO longer a HEART matter; mind is at play here. Use it.

Hey type-r, if your not worried on warranty of polo go with cng fit. Why not consider manza or vista which would be better than a indigo. Used cars are always on luck factor. I tried 4 used cars 3 of them were flop for me and burned my pockets.[:)]

If you can extend a lill bit of your budget you can get a ford figo diesel within 2L price range.
Small hatchback diesel mill would suit your needs.

Thread Starter #12
Forget all those Esteem, Baleno, Palio, Corollas etc oldies. IF there's an option, I'd rate Mr.Boss's advice a neat 5 Stars. Here's mine: Why NOT try and CNG convert your Polo. With a Diesel Ertiga at home, a CNG Polo could be a nice Beater Car. Even if a "Kit" is not available for Polo, with Delhi full of Ph.D's in "Jugaad", you can always find one who makes better than the original.

You'll NOT like this. When it takes so much time and effort to navigate thro' the roads from Dwarka to Noida, and utmost control not to use abusive words (while driving), why not take the Metro ? I've 126 horses under the hood, and believe me when I say that all those horses are tamed by Bengaluru Traffic [frustration].

Lastly, when you mentioned a budget cap of 1.5Lakhs, it is NO longer a HEART matter; mind is at play here. Use it.
Naa no way will i install CNG on the Polo. No matter what happens.

Hey type-r, if your not worried on warranty of polo go with cng fit. Why not consider manza or vista which would be better than a indigo. Used cars are always on luck factor. I tried 4 used cars 3 of them were flop for me and burned my pockets.[:)]
But Manza not available in budget sir. It is a great car. I can vouch for it.

Why won't you take Delhi Metro if that is the case?
Aaaaaand I knew a suggestion would be coming regarding this, but it gets really exhausting. No seat availability and all. Trust me I've tried this for 2-3 months but could not stand it.

If you can extend a lill bit of your budget you can get a ford figo diesel within 2L price range.
Small hatchback diesel mill would suit your needs.
Actually Vijay thats a valid suggestion. Many Figo are available in the 2 lac range. But an extension of budget is not possible. I have seen a Civic done 55K kms for 1.1L and a sequential kit for 45K puts it bang in the budget. But a Civic so low price, something has to be fishy. [roll]

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I have seen a Civic done 55K kms for 1.1L and a sequential kit for 45K puts it bang in the budget. But a Civic so low price, something has to be fishy.
It could be a accidental vehicle. Do get the details verified from the ASC in case you take the deal further up. If all is good, then Civic will be a really cool purchase[glasses]. Lots of scope of modification and great looking car too!

Regards

Akash

you know what. i have seen a couple Fiesta cars too with the 1.4 D motor. Have found a couple decent ones. Alto too small. Swift just too rare on the market and as soon as one comes, its sold. [cry]

Boss, the 10.5K is only for the Polo. The Polo will go to my mother and this car will be purely mine. Also coming through with some Indigo Dicor models. Suggested or should i just skip it?
I was earlier selling my Indigo. I started taking Vento to my college everyday. But i realized, for college runs and worse traffic areas, it's better to use Indigo.

Key factors about my Indigo LS Tdi (2005) 90300kms-

1. Excellent mileage. [;)] My average daily running is 80kms. Sometimes 150-200kms. I go from Dwarka to Vasant Kunj.
2. Comfartable sofa seats [:D]
3. Power and loads of torque in 2nd and 3rd gear. (keep her above 2000rpm to get best results)

why i would avoid you to stay away from Indigo.

1. Mine is still Tdi, Dicor had fuel pump failure issues.
2. Taking a TATA car to college, people make different faces. Some say TAXI. I don't listen to them. I just sit in my Air-conditioned Indigo, listen heavy bass songs and then people appreciate my sound system.
3. Parts need constant repairing.

Thread Starter #15
I was earlier selling my Indigo. I started taking Vento to my college everyday. But i realized, for college runs and worse traffic areas, it's better to use Indigo.

Key factors about my Indigo LS Tdi (2005) 90300kms-

1. Excellent mileage. [;)] My average daily running is 80kms. Sometimes 150-200kms. I go from Dwarka to Vasant Kunj.
2. Comfartable sofa seats [:D]
3. Power and loads of torque in 2nd and 3rd gear. (keep her above 2000rpm to get best results)

why i would avoid you to stay away from Indigo.

1. Mine is still Tdi, Dicor had fuel pump failure issues.
2. Taking a TATA car to college, people make different faces. Some say TAXI. I don't listen to them. I just sit in my Air-conditioned Indigo, listen heavy bass songs and then people appreciate my sound system.
3. Parts need constant repairing.
Hi Maneet, I've used a Indigo TDi a lot as well (ownersip review on TAI as well i guess) and I know the car so well. But yeah the only issue the Indigo has is for face value. Though I do not have any issues with it and I can still use one if needed. My friend actually joked that your girlfriend will leave you for a guy on Activa if you take Indigo. Better take auto! [lol]

Top Bottom