New Car Options Under 10 Lac To Replace Corolla

Thread Starter #1
Thanks for the replies, guys. At the risk of going slightly off topic, what options for a new car do I have at a 10lac range?

Let me explain, in detail, my options, explorations, apprehensions, et all.

I started with Grand i10 Automatic (Price 6.25 lacs OTR Delhi) - Amazing car with many first in segment features like push button start, alloy wheels on top spec, keyless entry, auto folding ORVM's, apart from amazing looks and ofcourse, compactness (which is a boon for Delhi traffic). However, the 4 speed auto box does not delight me when it comes to acceleration. The car takes its own sweet time to accelerate even if you floor the pedal. After driving a Punto MJD and Corolla, this was a major turn off. This car, out of question.

Elite i20 (Price 7.25 lacs OTR Delhi) - Top spec Elite i20 was a shocker when launched. I was waiting for the launch and checking out spy shots and speculative updates each day on this car. Once launched, I fell in love with the car immediately. Looks, features, uberness, compactness it had everything. Only thing missing was the auto box. Also, the petrol motor did not excite me again as it took its own sweet time to accelerate. This, I would have overlooked had there been an automatic variant. However, I'm sure Hyundai would launch this, if at all, early - mid next year when it launches its 6 speed auto box in the soon to be launched Verna / Solaris. This car, parked, for now.

Honda Amaze Automatic (Price 8.60 lacs OTR Delhi) - Good auto box. Good mileage on an automatic. Compact yet spacious. However, the front end and ancient A/C console put me off. Though after some advise from Honda sales guys, booked this with a few accessories totaling to 55k. The booking still remains (more on this, later).

Honda City SV CVT / VX-MT (Price - 10.60 lacs / 11.25 lacs OTR Delhi) - Well, this is a confusing car. Its better than the Amaze no doubt, but its not worth the extra 3-4 lacs premium it asks for. SV CVT doesnt give me many options on the feature front. With Amaze, options were not there so the top spec made up for itself. Opting for a lower spec variant leaves you wanting more. Yes, this has got aesthetics, poise, features, comfort, etc etc. but still, somehow, doesnt leave that kind of feeling as a Civic would have, few years back. When we booked our Civic in 2007, we came home feeling like [clap]. CIty, somehow, doesnt leave that feeling. One can see cost cutting on it.

Further, there are no other options that I would like to consider for one reason or another. From amongst the above options i.e. i20, Amaze and City, i20 is feature packed and looks amazing but lacks on an auto box and acceleration in Petrol variant, Amaze is practical but loses out on features and looks, while City is good on both fronts, but loses out on the VFM tag being at 11 lacs +.

Confusion Confusion.

Flip Side: Have got my booking changed from Amaze VX-AT to City VX-MT day before. Still can't decide on whether to opt for a lower spec automatic or top spec manual transmission. And if its a manual transmission, why not i20???

Would love it if someone can help solve this dilema!!

This is the reason I'd rather refurbish my old car, customise it with nice interiors and ICE instead of spending 11+ lacs and still feel dissatisfied.

Last edited:
Re: Toyota Corolla 2008 Restoration

I can understand what you are going through. Refurbishing your old car might seem to be a good idea, but actually it is not. What if you drive for around 10k kms in the next 1 year and a major engine/mechanical issue crops up? You would have spend a fortune to refurbish it and you'll have to sell it for an amount, which would be lesser than the amount spent to refurbish it. Else you'll have to bear the expenses for that mechanical issue. Now, having spent another fortune to get rid of the mechanical issue, you would not be willing to part with it and suppose, since life is unpredictable [;)], you get another mechanical issue! This way, you'll be stuck with that car. It is in good condition now, so just sell it where you get a good deal. Since the condition of the car is okay at the moment, it would be easy to sell it for a profit.

Instead, get a new car. Since it would be a brand new piece, you'll be having peace-of-mind for the next 3-4 years. Even if any major issue crops up, you have warranty on your side to help you. Regarding depreciation, I think since you'd be using that car for ~8-10 years (like the Corolla) and maintaining it well, you should not worry about depreciation as most value is lost in the initial years. Buy a reputed brand, a trusted car and the variant you WANT. Don't restrict yourself, you have to use the car for several years to come.

I would have got the Amaze MT (Top end), if I would have been in your place, as it seems to be the most sort out car from i20, City and Amaze. Since City is priced too much (overpriced), you should look at the Amaze and the City. Both cars would have more-or-less the same space, with the forms being different. I think i20 has got the looks and features, but Amaze has a better engine (more punchier as compared to the i20's petrol) and better dynamics and handling.

Test drive both and decide before confusing yourself further.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #3

Thanks Guys.

So assuming that we park the restoration and go a bit off-topic here.

The question is now between City VX-MT (Manual Top Spec) priced @ 11.25 lacs OTR Delhi and SV-CVT (Automatic Mid Spec) priced @ 10.60 OTR Delhi.

The differences are: Leather Seats, Push Button Start and smart keyless entry, Fog Lamps, Sunroof, Alloys, Chrome door handles, Audio HU, Rear Parking Camera, etc.

This is the max I can stretch my budget. Crux is - Featues like Sunroof, etc. Vs. Automatic transmission both of which can not be retrofitted as after market components.

I see that you are cosidering VX MT and so you have no problem with a manual transmission. If you feel that City VX is not VFM (which I had felt too) why don't you go for a City V. The only things you will lose are leather seats (can be retrofiited in the market), keyless entry and go and a sunroof and the V costs something around 10.40 lacs ONR.

I'm not sure if Amaze could satisfy you after using Corolla.
City is the best bet (out of your choices in the initial post)

Other choices:
- Retain Corolla, spend few grands on repairs / upgrades, get a new automatic hatch (if parking isn't a problem & auto box is the need)
- Vento DSG (feels more solid than City, but has it's own negatives too)

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I would suggest you to stay away from Rapid mainly because of Skoda ASC network. It would turn out to be White elephant. Instead, VW Vento DSG or premium hatchback like Elite i20 and Polo Tsi would be a good choice.

For city driving, I would recommend a premium hatchback because it is often found difficult to maneuver the sedans in traffic and as parking space has become piece of gold in metro cities so a premium hatch is the best bet.

Also, does Ford Ecosport comes in this band of 10 Lacs? This can serve purpose of City as well as Outstation trips.

Regards

Akash

Top Bottom