Honda Amaze VX-AT vs Honda City SV / VX CVT

Thread Starter #1
Dear Members,

I'v been reading a lot of reviews and following the threads on TAI since a few weeks now and joined the forum just now to seek advise on the subject.

I sold my Fiat Punto 1.3 (75HP) MJD Emotion Pack after 5 years and 73k km's yesterday and am have been on the lookout for an automatic hatch / mid size sedan for some time. My search has narrowed down to the Amaze top spec VX Auto which IMHO is an amazing VFM vehicle with a decent auto box. I TD'ed the vehicle and ended up booking it for delivery in mid November.

However, since I got a decent amount for my earlier vehicle, I can up my budget a bit and this is when the confusion began.

Points of consideration - Amaze VX AT:
  1. Small size considering Delhi traffic and Amazingly spacious inside at the same time
  2. Decent and responsive auto box with decent mileage figures (bw 12.3 - 14.7)
  3. Honda badge
  4. Elec Foldable ORVM's with turn indicators
  5. Weighted steering
  6. Steering mounted audio controls
  7. Ease of use and no extra, useless features
  8. Like the OHC and easy maneuverability in Delhi traffic
  9. Pathetic front grill
  10. No auto AC
  11. No rear AC vents
  12. Puny tires and alloys
  13. No bluetooth connectivity even on top spec model
  14. No rear parking sensors

Points of consideration - City SV CVT:
  1. Better looking exterior
  2. More space
  3. Premium feel
  4. Auto AC - this is almost a deal breaker in the Amaze
  5. Bluetooth connectivity
  6. Rear AC vents
  7. Steering controls for music and phone
  8. Cruise control - for whatever its worth in India
  9. No alloys
  10. Elec adjustable ORVM's - manually foldable

Points of consideration - City VX CVT:
  1. Sunroof [clap]
  2. Leather interior
  3. ELec foldable ORVM's
  4. Alloys - Punty tires but manageable
  5. Fog lamps
  6. Push Button start with Smart Key Fob
  7. 5'' HU with rear cam input

I opted for the following accessories for Amaze VX AT so as to make it a little more customised and premium than it already is

• Mega Audio 786 HU - Android based touchscreen, with Phone connectivity and rear cam for a fully flush fit in the Amaze. This is being given by Honda as an add on accessory (as replacement for factory fitted HU without any fear of voiding warranty)
  • PU bucket seats covers
  • Foot Lights
  • Sports Pedals
  • Carpet Mats
  • Side Protectors
  • ICE would be added later - This is something that I can't do without.

The car costs 8.6 lacs OTR Delhi with about 50k for above accessories after discounts.

City SV CVT costs 10.7 lacs OTR DElhi without any accessories.

City VX CVT costs 12.7 lacs OTR Delhi without any accessories or the need thereof.

My questions:

1. Is the City (any variant) better VFM than the Amaze?
  2. Is CVT better than the AT?
  3. Apart from asthetics and premium segment, is City better than Amaze?
  4. Amaze top spec with accessories or City top spec stock?

Looking forward to comments and suggestions from all so as to be able to take an informed decision of retaining the amaze booking or changing the same to City.

Cheers!!

Re: Honda amaze vx-at vs city sv / vx cvt

Welcome onboard Zenn,

One thing is for sure is that you'll have much higher "Peace of Mind" then Fiat which you had owned. But you'll slightly miss the dynamics of that one.

Now coming back to you're question,

Amaze & City are good choices.
Amaze makes sense if you have budget constraints. If not, City is better buy.

City is premium and has lots of positives. Amaze is also good, but City is a step up in terms of experience and premiumness.

The answers for you're Questions.
1.Is the City (any variant) better VFM then the Amaze?
Ans. Yes, City is a better package overall, provided you're ready to pay the premium over Amaze.

2.Is CVT better than the AT?
Ans. CVT is better then Torque Converter in terms of FE, Performance, Responsiveness.

3.Apart from asthetics and premium segment, is City better than Amaze?
Ans. This depends on buyer, Amaze is coat effective car & City is a more modern and from the next segment.

4.Amaze top spec with accessories or City top spec stock?
Ans. City Top Spec is packed with features, if you need them its better to choose City. If not then Amaze will do fine with the coat saving done over City. City SV is good VFM as it has all essential features. Alloys & Parking Sensors can be fitted at dealer or aftermarket.

Thread Starter #3
Re: Honda amaze vx-at vs city sv / vx cvt

Welcome onboard ZennThanks for the warm welcome and quick reply, Nishant.,

One thing is for sure is that you'll have much higher "Peace of Mind" then Fiat which you had owned. But you'll slightly miss the dynamics of that one. Yes most definitely. This is the major problem I faced when I started TD'ing the Petrol Vehicles after driving a TC Diesel..But anyways!

Now coming back to you're question,

Amaze & City are good choices.
Amaze makes sense if you have budget constraints. If not, City is better buy. See, this is my main question. If budget is not a constraint, an Octavia would be an even better buy than City right? But the question is the City being more / equally VFM as the Amaze?

City is premium and has lots of positives. Amaze is also good, but City is a step up in terms of experience and premiumness.

The answers for you're Questions.
1.Is the City (any variant) better VFM then the Amaze?
Ans. Yes, City is a better package overall, provided you're ready to pay the premium over Amaze. See my point above this one

2.Is CVT better than the AT?
Ans. CVT is better then Torque Converter in terms of FE, Performance, Responsiveness What about the rubberband effect? I maybe wrong, but IMO the Torque Converter of Amaze is slightly more responsive than the CVT in terms of drivability if you are ready to close your senses to the high engine noise and kicks and spurts in the change in transmission.

3.Apart from asthetics and premium segment, is City better than Amaze?
Ans. This depends on buyer, Amaze is coat effective car & City is a more modern and from the next segment.

4.Amaze top spec with accessories or City top spec stock?
Ans. City Top Spec is packed with features, if you need them its better to choose City. If not then Amaze will do fine with the coat saving done over City. City SV is good VFM as it has all essential features. Alloys & Parking Sensors can be fitted at dealer or aftermarket.I agree with you on this one. But since Amaze doesnt have a luxury feature enrishced version, it doesnt let you wanting more. However, the SV variant leaves you thinking if you should go in for VX [evil]
Thanks once again for your reply.

Looking forward to some more suggestions so that I can finally take the plunge tomorrow!

Cheers!

Welcome to TAI Zenn.

I think the decision should be your own based on your requirement and comfort feeling to drive.

My few thoughts are - you are comparing two different segment cars here. I don't think Amaze, even the highest variant, can meet the premium sense and comfort of City. Amaze is built to cost but City, though some cost cutting is evident, is more premium and offers more number of features and comfort.

The Honda iVTEC engine is one of the best in petrol segment and a pleasure to drive. Though I have not driven a CVT, reading in different forums indicate not much lag is there in Honda City 2014 version. If required please do a test drive again and also search for ownership threads on CVT version

My suggestion would be if cost is not a concern then Honda City SV CVT will be VFM. The decision for VX version would depend on your like for the features offered.

Climate control or auto ac as you put it is given far more importance than it deserves. Except for the possibility of more selection of blower speeds the manually controlled ac is far better. Much of the importance given is due to snob value which unfortunately plays a huge part in how people make their buying decisions where how your neighbor views your purchase is more important than whether the buyer likes it or not.

Thread Starter #6
Welcome to TAI Zenn.Thanks Buddy

I think the decision should be your own based on your requirement and comfort feeling to drive.

My few thoughts are - you are comparing two different segment cars here. I don't think Amaze, even the highest variant, can meet the premium sense and comfort of City. Amaze is built to cost but City, though some cost cutting is evident, is more premium and offers more number of features and comfort.

The Honda iVTEC engine is one of the best in petrol segment and a pleasure to drive. Though I have not driven a CVT, reading in different forums indicate not much lag is there in Honda City 2014 version. If required please do a test drive again and also search for ownership threads on CVT version.TD'ed both cars today. Finalised City. More on the reasons (for few that might the same dilemma as I did) in my new post below.

My suggestion would be if cost is not a concern then Honda City SV CVT will be VFM.I explored this suggestions too. But, IMHO, the City, just for a better segment, did not appeal to me. I lose out on essential features like Alloys (asthetic essential [embarass]), Elec Folding wing mirrors, etc. Plus, I prefer the compact size here for traffic in Delhi The decision for VX version would depend on your like for the features offered.
Thanks for your suggestions![:D]

Thread Starter #7
Climate control or auto ac as you put it is given far more importance than it deserves. Except for the possibility of more selection of blower speeds the manually controlled ac is far better. Much of the importance given is due to snob value which unfortunately plays a huge part in how people make their buying decisions where how your neighbor views your purchase is more important than whether the buyer likes it or not.
I completely agree with you VU2GTE. In our country, most peoples buying decisions are plagued by snob value and not what is practical. I personally dont like the look of the old fashioned knobs given on Amaze, however, for the rest of the package, I can live with them.

Thread Starter #8
Thanks All for your comments and suggestions. I TD'ed Amaze VX-AT, City SV-MT and City VX-CVT today at Automax Honda, Bhikaji.

Though there was some compromise in both vehicles, I chose Amaze VXAT for the reasons cited below:

1. Compact size for city driving
2. Peppyness of Torque Converter over CVT
3. Though budget was not a constraint, 4.16 lacs INR do not justify the City over the Amaze. - One can buy a Street 750 in that amount :biggrin:
4. City's view from the drivers seat is somewhat restricted due to the overbearing console. AMaze on the other hand has an old school design, which I personally preferred over the former's.
5. Customisability of Amaze over City - both in terms of money and functionality. I can't live without ICE in my car. From the list of accessories in my first post, AVN is something that can''t be retrofitted in City without a lot of trouble, which I am not ready to undergo after having purchased a 13 lac vehicle.

Finally, I made up my mind and paid the booking amount of Rs. 21k for Amaze VX-AT (maroon). This would, at my request for late delivery, be delivered between 15-20th november this year.

Await pics and more updates from the delivery day.

Thread Starter #9
Another query:

AVN being supplied by Honda is of Megaaudio make. Something I have never heard of before. After-market fitting of HU would void warranty if any wires are tampered with. I am aware of couplers / sockets that are used instead of cutting and joining wires, however, since the old HU would have to be removed, I would prefer a Honda install on this one. Speakers et all can be added after-market.

Here's the link of the particular model - MAOE 786 | Mega Audio .
This is an android based system with navigation from Map My India and a rear camera. From the looks of it, seems good enough, considering most of the sound quality would be made up for by the amp and comp's.

Please advise if anyone has used this system or is otherwise aware of it. Cheers!

Zenn, let me be the first to congratulate you on your new Amaze VX (AT) booking. Happy mile crunching.

Please start a ownership thread once you have the car with you

Thread Starter #11
Another query:

AVN being supplied by Honda is of Megaaudio make. Something I have never heard of before. After-market fitting of HU would void warranty if any wires are tampered with. I am aware of couplers / sockets that are used instead of cutting and joining wires, however, since the old HU would have to be removed, I would prefer a Honda install on this one. Speakers et all can be added after-market.

Here's the link of the particular model - MAOE 786 | Mega Audio .
This is an android based system with navigation from Map My India and a rear camera. From the looks of it, seems good enough, considering most of the sound quality would be made up for by the amp and comp's.

Please advise if anyone has used this system or is otherwise aware of it. Cheers!
Looking forward to some advise on this, TAIgers!!!

Top Bottom