Looking For a New Car...ummm SUV?

Thread Starter #1
While not too old on the forum, have been a voyeur for quite some time always watching from a distance. Tried joining another equally popular forum, t... and they put me through a written test which I couldn’t pass!

Anyways, let me get straight to the point. Grown up on a 1952 Morris Minor then an Ambassador in the family. Bought my first car which was a Verna Diesel followed by a Corolla Altis AT petrol and now on to a VW Vento Diesel. My current beast, the vento is 3 years old, served me well and is as well maintained as any other car out there. As you would notice, been a car guy through these years, no jeeps no suvs, plain jane sedans mostly.

A bit about our family - the couple (me 6ft and the wife a few inches shorter [;)]) and two young boys 7 and 4 years old. My daily commute to office and back through mumbai traffic (34 kms each way). Our indulgence - two annual road trips (a couple of weeks each) across this beautiful land. The only time we manage to give our car a real spin, sometimes across no land territory .

The itch - the urge to move to a larger read SUVish vehicle. Been a Mumbaikar all through these years. Seen the WE Highway grow from a two lane undivided road to an 8 lane clogged artery over these years. So in part one of the reasons has also been the Mumbai roads... or rather its sorry state, which keeps me on the edge of my seat every time my low slung vento dunks into a pothole.

What I am looking for: an automatic – have had it once with my corolla and still cant get over the convenience of an AT in Mumbai traffic. An SUV type vehicle – as they say climb into and not crawl into vehicle. And finally, would love to round off my budget at around 30lakhs.

Options I have been considering – Pajero (thanks to Iron Rock/ Chetak et al), Toyota Fortuner (Bullet proof vehicle, awesome ASS from prior experience), BMW X1 (Badge value I guess), Audi Q3 (outer end of my budgest), new Merc GLA (scared by the maintenance figs I hear)

Would love to own a 4x4 AT, could also settle for the 4x2 version as long as its fully loaded. Over to you guys now for suggestions, reccos and some plain simple advise.

P.S: Hear that the PS AT is due to launch in November and the Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT around the same time. Just a thought. [:)]

Last edited:
Re: Looking for a new car... ummm SUV?

Welcome on board sir same case with me sir couldn't pass the acid test oh sorry written test by some blah blah forum never the less .
I am a member on this forum since last one month and seen technical knowledge of the fellow members which is appreciable now lets come on the point .
1) Mitsubishi pajero - Problems with spare parts availability also heard some where mitsu planing to wrap-up there operation from india after HM.

2)Toyota fortuner - Bullet proof vehicle indeed with equally bumpy ride and yes the service bills are really unbeliveable cheap for the size and shape of the vehicle . New fortuner with 2.5 litre under its hood on its way in october . And after a year or so a all new generation may also be seen in india.

3)BMW x1 - I agree again with you its only the badge value on the vehicle the rear seat is having so less legroom that probably one may make a enemy for a life time if we make a six footer sit there for a long drive.
4)Audi q3 - Could be a strong contender quatrro technology is worth the price if you can stretch the budget that bit.
5)MERC GLA - After mild success of A and B class merc has also jumped in compact suv segment with latest offering GLA comeon merc a suv that too with a front wheel drive [frustration].

Thread Starter #3
Thanks carholic. loving the confusion!

More I think of it, merc and audi look like stretching the budget for no significant gain, not to mention the insane service costs!

BMW x1 is certainly fun to drive and there are some pretty decent deals going along too. Then again, not really a SUV and my daily driving could be stylish but not any more comforting then my vento.

Read a bit about rexton, then again its Mahindras so not really sure. Not sure what the Koleos is like, apart from the fab music system. Think of it, not many decent options around apart from fortuner AT and possible PS (if they indeed launch by November). What say?

Welcome to the forum.
I understand your problem with written tests [;)],any way that forum is sadistic to an extent.Even after getting in you will be crucified for nothing!!!.
By all your requirements sited,I would suggest you a Toyota fortuner,which already your heart is longing for. [:D].You are happy with the Toyota ASS and this will give more confidence in buying.

Sir,I also suggest you to look at the Chevrolet Captiva ! It is a superb SUV.Thank you

Thread Starter #6

Sir,I also suggest you to look at the Chevrolet Captiva ! It is a superb SUV.Thank you
thanks bharath. not much of a GM fan, also think the new captiva is around the corner not that I like what I have seen so far of the new version

Thanks carholic. loving the confusion!

More I think of it, merc and audi look like stretching the budget for no significant gain, not to mention the insane service costs!

BMW x1 is certainly fun to drive and there are some pretty decent deals going along too. Then again, not really a SUV and my daily driving could be stylish but not any more comforting then my vento.

Read a bit about rexton, then again its Mahindras so not really sure. Not sure what the Koleos is like, apart from the fab music system. Think of it, not many decent options around apart from fortuner AT and possible PS (if they indeed launch by November). What say?
I apologise for the delayed reply ssangyong rexton is some thing that i have least knowladge about .Same is the case with koleos i have not seen a single koleos on road since its launch . Well if you are considering koleos they why not refreshed skoda yeti borrows same engine with audi q3 only difference is the badge 4*4 yeti could be considered a decent urban suv by any stand red what perplexed me is why is skoda not offering dsg with 4*4 yeti it could be a deadly combo.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
I apologise for the delayed reply ssangyong rexton is some thing that i have least knowladge about .Same is the case with koleos i have not seen a single koleos on road since its launch . Well if you are considering koleos they why not refreshed skoda yeti borrows same engine with audi q3 only difference is the badge 4*4 yeti could be considered a decent urban suv by any stand red what perplexed me is why is skoda not offering dsg with 4*4 yeti it could be a deadly combo.
Yeti is a competent car no doubt but to me a 'car' it is really hence not on my list. Agree on Koleos, not many around although read that its quite competent too.

Thread Starter #10
So got a call from Aquest auto. Says PS auto is to be launched on November 16. Info they have available thus far is that it will have a new grill and a MID included. Also claims that it would continue to be a 4x4, quite unlike what we have been hearing so far. If true, that would be a head to head with the T-fort coming out around the same time.

Hi Pras12000,
From my point of view Toyota fortuner will be the option. As everyone say the reliability and quality is very good. Moreover you are replacing the cars in periodic intervals. So Resale will be also good in Toyota Stable.
Mitsubishi Pajero Sport is a good car, but we are not sure about their indian operations.

2)Toyota fortuner - Bullet proof vehicle indeed with equally bumpy ride and yes the service bills are really unbeliveable cheap for the size and shape of the vehicle . New fortuner with 2.5 litre under its hood on its way in october . And after a year or so a all new generation may also be seen in india.
One of my friend's friend bought a fortuner 4*2 AT last week. As per him, owner upgraded the suspension in the showroom itself with prado type before delivery. As per my friend(he is an Innova Owner), suspension settings will change automatically according to road conditions, you can see it in the display and it is very comfortable too. Additional expense came around 2.80lakhs in kerala. check out the toyota delarships in case interested.

As per the current condition fortuner is the best bet i think.

Last edited:
I would like you to first identify the requirements from new vehicle in priority order, & then TD every vehicle & give scale of 1 to 10 to every requirement / feature fulfilled. Then short down the list & I think your dream vehicle will be automatically selected. Meanwhile anytime drop in here to ask any help. In short, TD is more or atleast as important than reading the brochure or reviews online.

Being a Rexton owner, I would definitely recommend one TD for Rexton RX7, if appearance & feature list appeal to you. As far as Mahindra ASS experience is concerned, I had impressed till today.

Amongst your list, if you like stance of vehicle then OK, otherwise TF is most poor in feature list. Other alternatives I might suggest is SantaFE, & looking at congested traffic of Mumbai, in spite your car impression, I still give new Skoda Yeti as compact SUV option. PS is very good vehicle, I would even say ideal, but don't know how much will be backed upon in India remains a mystery. Rest Audi / BMW / Merc are no match & vfm as compared to any above vehicle.

Last edited:

AMG

Suspended

One of my friend's friend bought a fortuner 4*2 AT last week. As per him, owner upgraded the suspension in the showroom itself with prado type before delivery. As per my friend(he is an Innova Owner), suspension settings will change automatically according to road conditions, you can see it in the display and it is very comfortable too. Additional expense came around 2.80lakhs in kerala. check out the toyota delarships in case interested.

As per the current condition fortuner is the best bet i think.
What??? [lol]

[:D] I mean suspension mode will change as per road conditions. Sorry i was little busy when i typed that. Anyway i didnt driven a fortuner and i didnt see that particular vehicle till now. may be get a chance this weekend

Top Bottom