Maruti Swift VXi ABS or Non-ABS?

Thread Starter #1
Booke a Swift vxi non-ABS as people suggested that ABS was not required in the city & becauee the sensor often breaks in city potholes i was told. But now people are also saying that the non-ABS models have lesser break bite & the thinner tyres contribute to that. I havent driven the VXI non-ABS so i can't be sure. The TD car was a zxi with ABS and had phenomenal brakes. So should i go bac & change over to an ABS model now? Or simply go for better tyres? The difference in cost of an ABS and non ABS model is about 3loan installments, so not worth risking a nearly 6L car
Ameyam

Last edited:
Re: Swift vxi ABS or non-ABS?

My sincere advice would be to go for ZXi as it comed both with ABS and Airbags. It always worth the little extra money for safety. Airbags increases chances of survival to a great extent incase of high speed mishap. ABS helps you control the car much efficiently incase of high speed panic braking and hence avoiding any mishap.

Changing tyres would never compensate what ABS would do. It's a required safety feature and very well required even in city incase of hard braking on medium speed. ZXi is the best option as overall package. Some extra loan EMIs are worth when it comes to your family's safety.

Last edited:

Never knew only the top end ZXi/ZDi come equipped with safety features = ABS+ Airbags. If you can afford a Swift today, I am sure you can afford another 50-60k for the ABS + AirBags.

You don’t buy cars every day. Get the ZXi and do drive safe.[:)]

You can go for a vxi which is also available with optional ABS as it will suffice your need and probably will cost at most 25 k more.

Then it looks like if you can increase your budget from a lxi to a vxi for better resale prospect .Then surely you should think for a optional ABS feature available on vxi because you get a piece of mind for further 25 k as mumbai roads turn risky in the monsoon season it is a quiet a boon to have a vehicle equiped with abs .

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5

The difference is a Lakh. The Zxi is in a totally different plane but thats not my plane

I do mostly city driving so I dont really need ABS and airbags. Its difficult to do even 40 on the street here

Point is I pushed my budget from where I was going to buy the Lxi to the Vxi purely in the interest of better resale value. I am considering whether or not to add in ABS but most likely I wont do that. But I am going to ask the salesman anyway and then see. Going there to give the documents for the loan today and Mom wants to see the cars

Ameyam

Last edited:

If you can afford (I highly recommend) the ZXI go for it, it is a no-branier at all! or else the vxi abs

MY first question:

Is Swift VXi available with ABS any more?
For Ritz it is but I guess for Swift it isn't.

Thread Starter #9

I saw a number of Swifts on the road with the VXI ABS badge. The salesman at Vitesse told me that the ABS was about 30k extra but we didnt discuss in detail. I am going to meet the guy who booked my car shortly. Lets see what he says

Ameyam

Hello Ameyam i would recommend going for the swift with ABS but i don't think that ABS is now available on the VXI or the VDI trim of the Swift. Please confirm.

Booke a Swift vxi non-ABS as people suggested that ABS was not required in the city & becauee the sensor often breaks in city potholes i was told. But now people are also saying that the non-ABS models have lesser break bite & the thinner tyres contribute to that. I havent driven the VXI non-ABS so i can't be sure. The TD car was a zxi with ABS and had phenomenal brakes. So should i go bac & change over to an ABS model now? Or simply go for better tyres? The difference in cost of an ABS and non ABS model is about 3loan installments, so not worth risking a nearly 6L car
Ameyam
Hi Ameyem

First point,
Whoever is saying that ABS is not required in city blah blah dont listen to them. ABS is very much required in any terrain.

Second point

Now, swift comes with ABS and airbags in Zxi and Zdi trim only. Vxi trim doesn't have ABS not even as option. IMHO if money is not the problem go for the Zxi.

Now, swift comes with ABS and airbags in Zxi and Zdi trim only. Vxi trim doesn't have ABS not even as option. IMHO if money is not the problem go for the Zxi.
Okay, so it is confirmed that SWift isn't having any variant called 'VXi ABS' on this earth. That leaves with the choice of ZXi only.

What ZXi has got over VXi is:
  • ABS+EBD: Better braking and above everything is 'control' under hard braking.
  • Dual front SRS airbags: Safety!
  • Alloy rims with tubeless tires of 185 section: Better handling with wider rubber, better braking and better high speed dynamics. BTW, better cooling for brake discs too resulting in lesser brake fading.
  • Rear defogger+wiper: Makes a big difference in rear visibility, especially during winters and downpours.
  • Integrated ICE: Definitely a more upmarket looking interior.
  • Automatic Climate Control: No more frequent adjustments required. Set a temperature and forget it.
  • Steering mounted audio controls: No more searching for buttons for making adjustments :stupid:

So ZXi gets safety, features and better driving dynamics. I guess this makes 1 lac premium over VXi a worth. Sounds more vfm too, if not, then try to find all this aftermarket and get it fitted in your car.

Thread Starter #14
Not really. Consider this- the expenses dont end at the cost of the car. Following items are added-
Underbody rust treatment 4700
Extended warranty 8650
AMC (for 2nd year) 11500
Full floor mats 1490
Mud flaps 350
Rear parking camera 12500
Bumper moulding 850
Side moulding 950
Leatherite seat covers 3500
Door sill guard 500
Carpet Lamination (if I get it done) 3000

That totals 50K over the price of the VXI. Nothing to be scoffed at - nearly 10% of the cost of the car. Not very appetizing

All the above do not come preinstalled in the ZXI. This will be additional expense on top

Then think of this-
Alloys: Can easily be purchased at a later date as and when some cash is available
Wider wheels and tyres- The Vxi comes with 165/80 R14 wheels which are just fine for daily use. I am no racer and I dont have any work that requires me to go to the expressway regularly
Rear defogger and wiper- Based on my experience this monsoon these are desirable but when it rains heavily, common sense is to drive slower and practice rain driving. Fogging doesnt occur when it rains heavily as the fog gets washed off. Rather it happens when it has rained just a bit and is easily wiped off by setting the aircon to a slightly higher temperature. I really didnt miss it much in this monsoon
ICE- I have a stereo system I recently upgraded in my Waggie and I will transfer it to the new car
Steering mounted controls- though convenient, it is not a necessity. If I need it, I can put one of those external wheel mounted remotes or simply change channels manually. In any case, if there is active driving, I dont even realise what is playing

There is no ABS version in the Swift Vxi. The Ritz has one. But even the employees of the dealerships told me privately not to go for the Ritz- its a lot mor sporty and cheaper than the heavier swift but the resale value will be equally less.

The only difference between the Vxi and Zxi is the ABS and airbags. I will settle without them. You can call this typically middle class thinking but I cant help it. I am currently looking if I can get a good discount at another dealership and if so I will go for the ZXI. Otherwise Vxi

Ameyam

Thread Starter #15
I know the car will cmo with basic 165/80 tyres, may be JK tyre or something. i am told many buyers drive direct from the showroom to the tyre dealers to have their tyres replaced with better performance ones. If that is so, should i do that & what brand & tyre should i select?
Ameyam

Top Bottom