Upgrade From Wagon-R To Brio?

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I have a preowned Wagon R 2008 i have been driving around for a year since i got my license. The car is in decent shape but did require me to spend a bit & there is a suspension overhaul & tyre change due which will cost another 25k. I am considering selling it on & purchasing another car. Brio maybe but you can suggest something as well. Small car & hatch back because i park on the road & space is always a problem. Petrol as my running isint too much. So couple of questions- should i look at a new car or another used one in good condition? The used brios i find are "option s mt" version. Couldn't find that version in the new brios- could you enlighten me?
Ameyam

Last edited:
Re: Upgrade from wagon r to brio?

i have accent used and believe me it is showing the sign of wearing and tearing after 2 years...
so my experience is if you are not skilled enough to find good used car at reasonable price which is least possible and time consuming buy new one and retain till it end

If you have limitation on budget, I would suggest to go for a used one.

For tight parking you will need a small car. So go for MS Ritz. You can have many option in market for this car. A ZXI variant you could find at a good price, plus an advantage of having solid rugged car with VFM and FE.

Other option in used car are TATA Vista, Hyundai i10.

If you are planning for new still I would suggest RITZ over Brio. Or wait till December this year Tata BOLT may be launched.

Thread Starter #4

The thought process is, rather than fixing the Wagon R, I could put that money into another car. I am budget limited but I can afford a new Brio base model at 4.5L or so on road with a loan. I have been driving ok in the Wagon R. I am no expert but I haven't rubbed the car from my mistake in the last year
I looked at the Ritz also. A new one is beyond my budget. I didn't look at a used Ritz though. Right now I am just tip-toeing the market by looking at the online prices for used cars
I haven't driven a Ritz. Did drive the Brio even before I got my Wagon R- on a friend's car. Its a good car but I am not sure of repair / maintainence costs
Obviously, no one who owns a car will sell it if its in good condition. The trick is to find one from someone looking to upgrade.
If I decide to buy a new car, I will do so in the new year only. If used, I will buy sooner.
Can someone shed light on the "Option S MT" variant of the Brio?

Ameyam

AFAIK Brio SMT(O) is not sold now.

Regarding maintenance cost of Brio I feel it is in the same range of SWIFT as I compared my Brio's maintenance cost with my friend's SWIFTs and found almost similar in range.

brio

positives: extremely refined engine, honda badge
negatives: suspension thuds in every pot hole, i found cars like vista, wagon r to be better in this aspect, rear bench not spacious, you will miss the headroom of wagon r

my suggestion is to take a new car. i can suggest you to zest petrol. best in class features, amazing revetron engine that has lot of juice, good ground clearance when compared to brio, price starting at 4.64 laks for base petrol to 5.99 lakhs for top petrol. top spec variant really gives every car a run for it's money. if i didn't get my safari, i would have gone for the zest petrol. zest is not launched when i was looking for hatchback/sedan.[frustration]

The thought process is, rather than fixing the Wagon R, I could put that money into another car. I am budget limited but I can afford a new Brio base model at 4.5L or so on road with a loan. I have been driving ok in the Wagon R. I am no expert but I haven't rubbed the car from my mistake in the last year
I think your thought process is financialy not correct. A new set of wheels & suspension work will not cost you more than Rs.20k for a wagon r and that too you can do step by step in a 3 months period. So that you dont need to spend that money on a single time.
If you going to sell this car and go for a new one or used one, you will lose 3 times more amount than this and you will not satisfied with that one within next 2 years. Better to maintain the current one and use it for atleast one more year and go for a new one with a better budget. so that you dont have to compramise on your dream car and may be get a new model in the market.

In case you really want to buy a new one, then extend the budget and go for a new one with a top end varient

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8

Releesh,
so far I have fixed the gear box (oww!), new wheel bearings, air con, new headlight bulbs, brake cutting and a new rear glass. The gear box was getting stuck in gears and intermittently refusing to go into gear before I took it to the MASS and had them overhaul it. That was my biggest expense. The brake discs had circular indentations and were slightly warped when I got the car, so I had them cut and they work very well now. The aircon wouldn't come on till I hit 60, then conked off one fine day, so had that fixed but I am still not sure it works at full cooling that Wagon Rs are known for. The glass was broken by some kids even before I got the car on the road. I also got the HU and speakers upgraded. And still it rattles a lot when driving. Now, when I need to do the suspension and the wheels. The driver side door panel has broken-the door card has caved in and the arm rest has separated at the top from the panel. Don't know what is rattling there when I drive it. It most likely needs a fibreglass patch from behind. There is a hole in the right rear wheel arch from where the body chassis can be seen but we decided to leave it and rust-proofed the exposed metal so it doesn't get rot. There is a long list of things.

When I got the car, I didn't have road confidence. So it was ideal for me- the upright seating position and viewing angles. Overtime, I fixed the mechanical bits so the car now drives very well. If I decide to retain the car, I will fix the suspension and it will become quite ok. But its an old car, so will keep requiring work now and then. Hence just considering things right now

Just for info, what's the difference between the Brio SMT and the one being sold now?

Ameyam

Just wait for some more days, and go for Tata Bolt.

Tata Zest Petrol starts with 4.6 lacs which is very competitive. Bolt will be launched very soon which will fit in you budget (around 4 lacs) with lots of good features (considering the Zest). The car (Zest) also looks killer on road. Bolt also will eat some of its competitors.

Releesh,
so far I have fixed the gear box (oww!), new wheel bearings, air con, new headlight bulbs, brake cutting and a new rear glass. The gear box was getting stuck in gears and intermittently refusing to go into gear before I took it to the MASS and had them overhaul it. That was my biggest expense. The brake discs had circular indentations and were slightly warped when I got the car, so I had them cut and they work very well now. The aircon wouldn't come on till I hit 60, then conked off one fine day, so had that fixed but I am still not sure it works at full cooling that Wagon Rs are known for. The glass was broken by some kids even before I got the car on the road. I also got the HU and speakers upgraded. And still it rattles a lot when driving. Now, when I need to do the suspension and the wheels. The driver side door panel has broken-the door card has caved in and the arm rest has separated at the top from the panel. Don't know what is rattling there when I drive it. It most likely needs a fibreglass patch from behind. There is a hole in the right rear wheel arch from where the body chassis can be seen but we decided to leave it and rust-proofed the exposed metal so it doesn't get rot. There is a long list of things.

When I got the car, I didn't have road confidence. So it was ideal for me- the upright seating position and viewing angles. Overtime, I fixed the mechanical bits so the car now drives very well. If I decide to retain the car, I will fix the suspension and it will become quite ok. But its an old car, so will keep requiring work now and then. Hence just considering things right now

Just for info, what's the difference between the Brio SMT and the one being sold now?

Ameyam
With the expenses you already carried out on your wagonR i would suggest you to carry out one by one remaining part of the repairing cost and retain your car for some time now.The amount already spend would not fetch you benifits while selling this car plus the difference amount over the new car you get along with the EMI'S you are planning to go.
Can you share details of your wagonR along with the current odo reading?

Thread Starter #11
Hi,
Bought at 36700. Now 40200 or something. Now thinking on the same lines. Better use it till its fullest.
Will need to get the suspension done soon though. Once I go through a pothole ( or the road converts into the surface of the moon), it continues to rattle for some time.
Ameyam

Hi Ameyan,

I owned a Brio EMT 2.5 years old with odo at 32k. I can suggest it to anyone who is looking for reliable city car & can manage with limited boot space.
The diff between S(0)MT and SMT was addition of airbags & abs.

To replace the car or not is your personal decision, It will always be economically cheaper to carry on with existing car.
I curiously checked your profile and read posts made by you, you looks to be quite passionate about your car and loves to have features added. This made me think that you might not be stay satisfied with base model of any car. If my analysis is correct, I would suggest you to buy a 2nd hand car with more features & power or wait for another year and buy a new one with additional budge.

Thanks,
Naveen

Thread Starter #13
As an engineer, I love to handle machines & like to keep them working well. Did spend a bit on this car and keep it in tiptop shape. In the first place, i bought it to persue my hobby- aeromodelling and Then as a utility. I look at machines as a sum of their parts, so no reason why they won't work well if the offending part is fixed. Am going to share my thoughts with my trusted mechanic and see what he says. If he feels it's better to move on, that's what I will do

Ameyam

Thread Starter #14
When i bought the Wagon R, i wanted a small utility car. The car fit the bill. Want to know- how does a Wagon R in peak condition compare handling, FE, and comfort wise to a Ritz and Brio? It will help me make a more informed decision

Ameyam

AMG

Suspended
Here is my understanding of the situation.

You bought a used wagonR that was abused.
But you didnt know of it at that time.
Consequently, you have spent quite a lot of time fixing it.

Now if you have put in that much money, you might as well keep it.
Alternatively, you can sell it if you are getting a price closer to what you bought it for.

But do remember the Brio is not much of an upgrade.

PS: Why dont yo visit Honda and Maruti and see for yourself.

Top Bottom