Diesel Car in a Budget of Rs.7.50 to 8.50 Lac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Hi Everyone! I'm here to seek advice. :help:

I'm planning to upgrade from my current Swift VDi (June 2010) to a Diesel Sedan, in a month's time. My budget is in the price range of Rs.7.50 to 8.50 lac (maximum).

My run/usage is 15000 kms p.a. in city + highway.

I'm looking for space/comfort for a family of 4. I don't need a very fast car in the sense that I'm a safe & steady driver (though ABS & Air Bag is a must have) and seldom drive beyond 110 kms p.h. But I love good engines. I would look for VFM factor, obviously.

I have done some analysis & have also shortlisted a couple of cars but am not disclosing it so as to have an open discussion (within the specified budget).

Looking forward to have some discussion. Hope you people will spare some time for me. Thanks.

Last edited:
upgrade from my current Swift VDi
Diesel Sedan
15000 kms p.a. in city + highway
1) For 15k annual running Diesel choice doesn't add more value considering the Diesel vs Gasoline price difference today. Anyways assuming your monthly running may go beyond the expectation or you got addicted to the diesel mill (like me) you stick to diesel choice.

2) Are you open to Sub 4m "so called sedan" or a proper sedan? Based on this we may narrow down the discussion.

For the price range, you can consider the compact sedans (Dzire, Zest, Amaze, Xcent)
My pick is the Zest because it offers the right package and considerably cheaper than other CS.
Probably some variants of Ertiga/ Enjoy too come into the range, if you need more flexibility of 5+2 seating.
For proper sedans, you may get a Manza/Sail/Etios.
Out of these, my suggestions would be Tata Zest for Sedan and Ertiga for MPV.

Zest Zest Zest. This new Tata compact sedan has everything that you can wish for that budget. Space is something thats always abundant in Tata cars. And with your budget you may get yourself the top of the line model.

Hey martand_d,
Why don't you look at Tata Zest, it fits your budget and moreover it comes loaded with all the features and safety. Apart from that you can also look Acent and Amaze. I will not suggest Dzire since you were driving Swift.

Also Sx4 has been discontinued so you may get some good discount from the existing stocks and you may get a ZDI version (not sure though)

Thread Starter #6
1) For 15k annual running Diesel choice doesn't add more value considering the Diesel vs Gasoline price difference today. Anyways assuming your monthly running may go beyond the expectation or you got addicted to the diesel mill (like me) you stick to diesel choice.

2) Are you open to Sub 4m "so called sedan" or a proper sedan? Based on this we may narrow down the discussion.
Hi Mr. Boss,
1) the reason behind opting a Diesel vehicle is the performance. I am using Swift since 4 years, I am in love with its performance + mileage. Thats why it should be a diesel.

2) I am definitely open to sub 4 meters and if a proper sedan comes within my budget I can opt for it.

My main concerns are safety features & after sales service. As we have used 4 Marutis till date since 1991 so I know Maruti’s excellent after-sales service. we have used Marutis for almost 25 years therefore I want to use a vehicle from another stable.

Thread Starter #7
@ DJ Bro, Akash, Mukesh, thanks a lot for your suggestions. I haven't test drove Zest yet. As I am going to visit 3 show rooms today I will definitely go to Tata to test drive Zest. But just one question do all you think Tata is reliable?

Buddy, the diesel cars that come under your budget are mainly Compact sedans.

Honda Amaze - nice i-dtec engine, good space and good proportionate looks (except the front, IMO). But lacks features on offer in the competition and a noisy engine, if you can live with it then I think this Honda is good bet.

Tata Zest - this car has probably won a lot of hearts on TAI. Simply because it comes from a Indian manufacturer and is in no way inferior to the competition and even better in many areas. Test Drive it, if you like it then its a no brainer. And of course it is reliable. I think it comes with the good old Quadrajet engine.

Hyundai Xcent - Loaded with features, nice space on offer but mediocre 1.1 engine. Since, you are a sedate driver and rarely take it above 110 km/h then I think it will be okay for you. Good boot space as well, the rear looks are subjective though.

Swift Dzire - the hottest selling car in India. Topping sales chart months after month, this is an ideal car for you being from the MS stable. But then it looks similar to the swift and you would like to have a change and competition offers competent products as well. Moreover, the ill integrated boot doesn't do it justice.

Other than these, I think Manza can be a good choice, it's a proper sedan, has good amount of space on offer, also has a factory fitted Navigation unit and very good ride quality. Etios can also be considered but the amount of cost cutting can put you off, do see it before making a choice. As far as Sail is considered, the car hardly sells and I seem to remember that there was some problems with the Sail sedans.

Thread Starter #9
Buddy, the diesel cars that come under your budget are mainly Compact sedans.

Honda Amaze - nice i-dtec engine, good space and good proportionate looks (except the front, IMO). But lacks features on offer in the competition and a noisy engine, if you can live with it then I think this Honda is good bet.

Tata Zest - this car has probably won a lot of hearts on TAI. Simply because it comes from a Indian manufacturer and is in no way inferior to the competition and even better in many areas. Test Drive it, if you like it then its a no brainer. And of course it is reliable. I think it comes with the good old Quadrajet engine.

Hyundai Xcent - Loaded with features, nice space on offer but mediocre 1.1 engine. Since, you are a sedate driver and rarely take it above 110 km/h then I think it will be okay for you. Good boot space as well, the rear looks are subjective though.

Swift Dzire - the hottest selling car in India. Topping sales chart months after month, this is an ideal car for you being from the MS stable. But then it looks similar to the swift and you would like to have a change and competition offers competent products as well. Moreover, the ill integrated boot doesn't do it justice.

Other than these, I think Manza can be a good choice, it's a proper sedan, has good amount of space on offer, also has a factory fitted Navigation unit and very good ride quality. Etios can also be considered but the amount of cost cutting can put you off, do see it before making a choice. As far as Sail is considered, the car hardly sells and I seem to remember that there was some problems with the Sail sedans.
Hi Rollerdude,
thanks for your valuable suggestions. I have also considered the vehicles you suggested. Today I test drove Tata Zest & Hyundai Xcent. Both of the vehicles are feature rich and loved both of them. The main difference I found in these two vehicles was the rear leg space & width. Zest can easily accommodate 3 passengers on rear bench whereas Xcent is best suited for the 2.
Tomorrow will test drive Amaze & Etios (Dont wish to try Chevy Stable).

Thread Starter #10
Hi guys,
after trying all the sub 4 meter so called sedans, zest seems to be the winner in all terms i.e. it fits well in my budget & i am quite familiar with its 1.3 MJD. But still want to give a try to new VW polo. Ya, I know I am seeking your help for the sedan but one of my friend suggested me to consider New Polo as well. So today I will be going for a TD. Will share my experience soon

Thread Starter #12
May be Tata Zest may Zestify [;)] your need.

Zest look killer on Road, grabs lots of attraction on the road.
Yes you are absolutely right Zest look killer on Road, all the family members liked the car very much. Zest is much better than its competition.

Just test drove the New Polo 1.5 TDi [drive], I enjoyed the ride quality on the face-lifted Polo, it feels more stable to take on bad roads with more assured handling. Just one problem comparing to zest is the rear Space. The floor hump is tall for the 5th passenger to comfortably place his feet on. Otherwise a good car.
I think i am really making myself confuse over selecting a car...[lol]

Yes you are absolutely right Zest look killer on Road, all the family members liked the car very much. Zest is much better than its competition.

Just test drove the New Polo 1.5 TDi [drive], I enjoyed the ride quality on the face-lifted Polo, it feels more stable to take on bad roads with more assured handling. Just one problem comparing to zest is the rear Space. The floor hump is tall for the 5th passenger to comfortably place his feet on. Otherwise a good car.
I think i am really making myself confuse over selecting a car...[lol]
You need to decide which one made you feel better with comfort, driving comforts, features and then take a plunge.No doubt over zest that tata motors have came out with would be the right choice if you choose to go for the CS car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom