New Car Buying in Mid-September: Advise Needed

Thread Starter #1
Dear Sir,
I am Jay Bhavsar from Ahmedabad. I am in marketing line and need to travel nearly 1000 km monthly. My age is 30 years. My height is 5'10" and healthy also. I am married and have one baby boy of almost 2 years. My past experience is I have driven Alto for 1 year and Hyundai i10 for 3-4 months time (company provided).
I am switching to new company in October month this year. Company is providing Rs. 11 per km. I am in position to pay Rs 1.00 Lac as down payment and balance as EMI. I have visited car shop along with my wife and narrow down search as below:

Option 1. Alto 800 LXi with company fitted CNG kit.

Because in Gujarat CNG is easily available and running cost will be very less. I am comfortable ok ok in seating posture and I have driven alto so I know its drawback. like low pick up and car lose power in AC but it is most pocket friendly car. but after discussion everybody is saying you are buying new car for 5 to 7 years so better invest in big car so that it can accommodate your future requirement also.

Option 2. Wagon R LXi
Wagon R is big car and practical also. If i am in good financial position in future then I can incorporate CNG after 1 or 2 years. But drawback it is boxy car and not good looking. One more thing Maurti new K10 is really good engine and build quality of new wagon R is good please let me know.

Option 3. Chevy Spark LS
Me and my wife likes spark most. Because it is really good looking car and most important it is having reinforced structure means safety will be also there.(In Wagon R they are also highlighting but in Alto 800 they are not highlighting). now bad part is very bad resale value and after searching got feeling that chevrolet Authorized service center maintain car for 3 years without changing parts and as warranty is over they will tell you to change many parts and maintenance cost is high after 3 years. also in general spark is selling only 150 nos in month while 12000 wagon R and 16500 alto. so it is also demotivating to go for spark.

Option 4. Wagon R 2008 + CNG kit installed

Driven 65 to 70000 km. (doubtful) Second Owner car

condition is ok.

Price is Rs. 1.90 Lac

on road Ahmedabad price

Alto 800 LXi CNG Rs 3.87 Lac
Wagon R 4.20 Lac
Spark Rs. 4.02 Lac

Now need your advise as follows:
a.Is park over all good to go and maintenance cost for ownership for 7-8 years will be less or high
b. New wagon R build quality is good or it is not up to the mark. also it is pure practical car or it is just tradition everybody is following.
c. Alto 800 new one is good car to go with CNG or it will be like very low power and AC will not work properly.
d. How much is the difference in performance wise between company fitted CNG kit and proper local CNG kit fitting

e. Old Wagon R CNG is good option or better to avoid and go for new one.

Please help and support in this matter. I will be going to buy in Mid September.

Thanks,

Jay Bhavsar

The new WagonR Cng Lxi variant would cost you around 4.5L or below that after discounts.
Its a much more spacious car with company fitted cng from maruti.
Test drive your shortlisted cars once and see which ones suits your needs.As you said you need to travel quite a lot and a better spacious, head room wise WagonR suits you more.

Thread Starter #4
Vijay Thanks for quick reply.

Meanwhile I have good offer from one of my friend. His friend wants to sell A-star ZXi version car (ABS and Airbag included) at Rs. 2.10 Lac. Mfg Year 2010. Driven 46200 km with Single handed. Anybody can suggest is it great deal to go for?

350Z

Core Team
Now need your advise as follows:
a.Is park over all good to go and maintenance cost for ownership for 7-8 years will be less or high
Spark is a decent car but I don't recommend considering it's now dated and will not fetch a desirable resale value from long term perspective.

Many owners have also reported about its low fuel efficiency figures.

b. New wagon R build quality is good or it is not up to the mark. also it is pure practical car or it is just tradition everybody is following.
You can't expect a solid build quality from low-cost Maruti Suzuki hatchbacks.

But there's no denying that despite several years of its existence in the market, Wagon-R is still the most practical choice around in its segment.

c. Alto 800 new one is good car to go with CNG or it will be like very low power and AC will not work properly.
I own an Alto800 myself and recommend it only if usage is mostly within cities and budget is a serious constraint which I don't think is your case.

Meanwhile I have good offer from one of my friend. His friend wants to sell A-star ZXi version car (ABS and Airbag included) at Rs. 2.10 Lac. Mfg Year 2010. Driven 46200 km with Single handed. Anybody can suggest is it great deal to go for?
Sounds good. How's the condition of the car? Does he have all the service records? Please upload some pictures so that we can take a look and suggest. Maruti A-Star is a driver's delight and worth considering by all means if the condition is acceptable. Its major downside are the cramped interiors and low resale now that it has been discontinued. You might also want to check out Datsun Go, Hyundai Eon and Maruti Celerio as far as new cars are concerned.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #7
You are right budget is not constraint but to give Rs. 1.00 Lac more for Wagon R then Alto 800 (both LXi models in Ahmedabad) then question will come.

Please let me know a. you have Alto 800 with CNG or only Petrol.
b. I have to drive more on highway (60% highway and 40% city) so is it prefarable in highway with Alto 800 if I drive below 90 kmph because I am not driving fast.

For A-star matter-

The owner is sales adviser in Maruti dealer shop and has done regular services. I need to check and have to test drive to get more idea.
You are right but at Rs. 2.10 Lac you are getting ABS and 2 air bags with 1st owner car so I am really attracted. I am marketing guy so most of the time I need to travel alone (on highway,max) or max with my wife and small 2 years baby for some weekend visit. so that is the reason I am attracted.

For Datsun I am really confused about Nissan services in future because they are going independently for Datsun and Datsun figures are not attractive as days by days this sales figure is going down.
For Eon Interior and built and finish is good but for engine performance and reliability I need to get feed-back so if owners of Eon are here then they can give ownership experience and about that gear lever issue.

For Alto K10-

In my earlier company I have driven old Alto for more than 1.5 year so there is no from wife to go for Alto K10.

Please comment. and thanks for sharing your thought and sorry if I have written some wrong thing because this is first time I am discussing on Automotive forum.

350Z

Core Team
Please let me know a. you have Alto 800 with CNG or only Petrol.
Only Petrol (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-800-lxi-ownership-review.html?highlight=alto).

I have to drive more on highway (60% highway and 40% city) so is it prefarable in highway with Alto 800 if I drive below 90 kmph because I am not driving fast.
Personally speaking, I'd avoid using it for highway commute.

The owner is sales adviser in Maruti dealer shop and has done regular services. I need to check and have to test drive to get more idea. You are right but at Rs. 2.10 Lac you are getting ABS and 2 air bags with 1st owner car so I am really attracted. I am marketing guy so most of the time I need to travel alone (on highway,max) or max with my wife and small 2 years baby for some weekend visit. so that is the reason I am attracted.
That's exactly why I said that the deal sounds good. It's tough to find those 'ideal' used cars easily. Don't forget to check this out. It could be well-worth it.

For Datsun I am really confused about Nissan services in future because they are going independently for Datsun and Datsun figures are not attractive as days by days this sales figure is going down. For Eon Interior and built and finish is good but for engine performance and reliability I need to get feed-back so if owners of Eon are here then they can give ownership experience and about that gear lever issue.
This link might help: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...son-datsun-go-vs-hyundai-eon-1-0l-review.html.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I had Maruti 800 & WagonR in past & now having Hyundai i10 (in addition to Innova in past + now Rexton). From my experience, go for Maruti WagonR (petrol or CNG as per your choice, both have pros & cons). I can provide tons of reasons for that if you demand. :)

Thread Starter #10
Thanks to all.
A-star Second hand car sold tomorrow itself on Rs. 2.20 Lac. I am going to check today but yesterday some other person has given Advance also. I am very unhappy.
Thanks 350Z, for highway commute I have to avoid Alto 800 now choices left are less so I will consider Wagon R, and test drive Eon and Datsun too. Then decide.

One out of the line question, today I have visited Fiat showroom. Fiat Old Punto model Active version (Diesel Variant). Ahmedabad on road price is Rs 6.47 Lac but after great discount it is coming at Rs. 5.64. So whether it has to be considerable deal or not. Please advise.

350Z

Core Team
One out of the line question, today I have visited Fiat showroom. Fiat Old Punto model Active version (Diesel Variant). Ahmedabad on road price is Rs 6.47 Lac but after great discount it is coming at Rs. 5.64. So whether it has to be considerable deal or not. Please advise.
Please check the VIN to identify the manufacturing date. Plus, ensure that it shouldn't be a demo car. You can negotiate for more since that model is discontinued.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #12
Dear Members,
If anybody has purchased Datsun GO then please share your ownership experience because I have seen this car. Front Passenger seat is awkward otherwise it is great to have the same.

Thanks,
Jay Bhavsar

350Z

Core Team
Thread Starter #14
Hello everyone
today i have visited Honda showroom. I have seen Brio.
Pros-
Good fit & finish Interior
front seat comfortable. less fatigue If i have to drive in single run
Rear seat also ok
Exterior looks good
Honda Petrol Engine & silent performance
Cons-
Boot space cramped (but adjustable as most of time I need to travel alone)
Rear glass complete
online thread shows poor mileage in city traffic and on highways.

Now I have queries in my mind.
There is a difference in Wagon R LXi and Brio E (Basic model) of price Rs. 60 K so is it worth to invest in Honda car or to continue with Maurti.
Also I am impressed with build quality of Honda over Maruti. (my view)

Please share overall maintenance cost for 60K running in Wagon R and Brio E car. If any member has done CNG in Brio then please share mileage figure and effect in car performance.

Thanks and please reply as I am new and early I have driven company car (i.e. Alto). Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom