• honda city v

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • ecosport AT

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • honda city sv cvt

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
i have read a few threads here but i cant find the answer to my question which is -
hey guys ,
i am a 18 year old guy who is looking for a car which is fun to drive and looks cool as well as comfortable to sit for my parents
i wont be three digiting the speedo but i would love a car which has a good pickup and gives the power on the tap
currently i have shortlisted 2 cars from all the option but am not able to decide which car and what model to go for
the 2 short listed car are ford ecosport and honda city
as keeping safety and budget in mind i have shortlisted these models
Honda city (ICE'D) SV OR V (petrol)
ford ecosport titanium or titanium at (petrol)
if some other car would be better please suggest the same (i.e maybe ecoboost ecosport OR Honda city SV CVT )
i would be using this car mostly in the city
i prefer a car that is more vfm
safety is the utmost req for me and ecosport AT provides 6 air bags
as i wont be munching much miles ,diesel doesn't look worth the premium
and a niggle free experience
low maintenance cost and reliable parts

by my post you guys would know how confused i am [frustration]
therefore please suggest me which option will be the best for me

Last edited by a moderator:

350Z

Core Team
by my post you guys would know how confused i am
therefore please suggest me which option will be the best for me
Welcome aboard to The Automotive India. Firstly take sometime to list out the exact requirements and pinpoint what purpose is the new car going to serve? Then share those requirements with us using the template suggested in this link which will help the members to recommend most suitable car for you.

Drive Safe,
350Z

If you want a car that's fun to drive, you should be looking at a manual transmission. At least in my opinion, automatics just ruin the pleasure of a car. Especially CVT transmission, simply because in a normal car you can stay in one gear and the engine revs rise (Which is enjoyable) while in a CVT car the revs stay constant (Boring IMO) while the gearing adjusts itself. FYI CVT = Continuously Variable Transmission ~ Infinite gears.

Glad to see young people becoming interested in safety now, keep it up!

Hi Torquelover.. Welcome to the group
Reading your requirement, does make me ponder why only these 2 cars
if you are looking for fun to drive cars, try fiat linea / VW vento / Skoda rapid / Polo TDi/Tsi
Which fuel you would prefer? I personally find petrols more fun to drive, but diesels are a bliss on highways. But you mention your ride will mainly be within cities.
Regarding safety, dont only look for airbags and other stuff. See for structural rigidity as well.. Honda city somehow looks very tin type. Again here I would suggest fiat/VW stable. Ecosport has incidences where it has rolled over at high speed. Also its rear is very cramped so may be your parents wont like it.

Honda city aslso has very skinny tires and super silent to run and easy to mantain. But safety wise I always doubt its structural capability and its skinny tires

But putting low mantainence has put me in fix. VW and Skodas are very expensive to mantain. Fiats are comparatively better. How about Hyundai verna / elite i20. Also personally i have been a great fan of now named Ford fiesta classic, but it is towards end of life. If you dont mind that fact, then my money is on this car.

Last edited:
Icecool has a very good point, why not also consider Fiat Punto Evo/New Linea and Polo/Vento?

Both the Polo and Punto Evo are sturdy cars.

From your list I will recommend city , its always fun to drive , proven car (pterol).
Go for top model which got abs , air bags

First of all, how much experience do you have driving cars in general ? Considering you are 18 years old only, I hope not too much. If you really do not have much experience, please accumulate some hours at an authorised driving school to get the fundamentals right.

Nothing personal, folks, but 110 bhp of high-tech (perhaps turbocharged) power+ 18 years age + Indian cities is a combination I have some trouble accepting firsthand.

I dont mind the flak I receive for this comment, I just had to state it.

Thread Starter #8
Welcome aboard to The Automotive India. Firstly take sometime to list out the exact requirements and pinpoint what purpose is the new car going to serve? Then share those requirements with us using the template suggested in this link which will help the members to recommend most suitable car for you.
Drive Safe,
350Z
am sorry for breaking a rule , i would try my best not to break any other rule i have read all the rules and i am going to insert my requirement in the template

If you want a car that's fun to drive, you should be looking at a manual transmission. At least in my opinion, automatics just ruin the pleasure of a car. Especially CVT transmission, simply because in a normal car you can stay in one gear and the engine revs rise (Which is enjoyable) while in a CVT car the revs stay constant (Boring IMO) while the gearing adjusts itself. FYI CVT = Continuously Variable Transmission ~ Infinite gears.

Glad to see young people becoming interested in safety now, keep it up!
i love the manual transmission but sometimes it's an pain when u r stuck in stop and go traffic ...left foot aches alot
as per your description of working of CVT am planning to drop the idea of a CVT car .. totally not my type why honda why ..they should have launched an AT version [frustration]
in today's date when people do drunk driving and do stupid things i strongly believe that government should make airbags mandatory and do some test like ENCAP

Hi Torquelover.. Welcome to the group
Reading your requirement, does make me ponder why only these 2 cars
if you are looking for fun to drive cars, try fiat linea / VW vento / Skoda rapid / Polo TDi/Tsi
Which fuel you would prefer? I personally find petrols more fun to drive, but diesels are a bliss on highways. But you mention your ride will mainly be within cities.
Regarding safety, dont only look for airbags and other stuff. See for structural rigidity as well.. Honda city somehow looks very tin type. Again here I would suggest fiat/VW stable. Ecosport has incidences where it has rolled over at high speed. Also its rear is very cramped so may be your parents wont like it.

Honda city aslso has very skinny tires and super silent to run and easy to mantain. But safety wise I always doubt its structural capability and its skinny tires

But putting low mantainence has put me in fix. VW and Skodas are very expensive to mantain. Fiats are comparatively better. How about Hyundai verna / elite i20. Also personally i have been a great fan of now named Ford fiesta classic, but it is towards end of life. If you dont mind that fact, then my money is on this car.
i would love to buy a german (VAG) car but the bad A.S.S and the attitude of top most employees of skoda and Volkswagen makes me steer away from them
are fiat cars reliable they dont even sell much right ? i have a big doubt of them

i love driving the petrol & i dont like the NVH levels of diesel cars so its a no-no to diesel

so what do u suggest in the safety aspect
a honda city or ford ecosport or some third option (sedan please)
how about a ford fiesta 2014 instead of the classic is it a good competitor ?
and i didnt consider verna because of cramped rear seats , sensitive steering ,bad suspension and a newer model is going to come next year ( not sure tho.. i read it some where

Icecool has a very good point, why not also consider Fiat Punto Evo/New Linea and Polo/Vento?

Both the Polo and Punto Evo are sturdy cars.
again i dont trust VAG group and have no respect for them and i dont have no idea about fiat cars reliability , A.S.S etc) "tata -fiat" together killed fiat i guess
but still i would love to buy a 90bhp punto anyday if i was in the market for a hatch back
From your list I will recommend city , its always fun to drive , proven car (pterol).
Go for top model which got abs , air bags
i guess am gonna book the city soon but i would let that to the test drive and ur all suggestion ... thanks for the suggestion gonna keep that in mind
btw which model of city do u suggest V or an ICE'D sv ( price difference between sv and v)

First of all, how much experience do you have driving cars in general ? Considering you are 18 years old only, I hope not too much. If you really do not have much experience, please accumulate some hours at an authorised driving school to get the fundamentals right.

Nothing personal, folks, but 110 bhp of high-tech (perhaps turbocharged) power+ 18 years age + Indian cities is a combination I have some trouble accepting firsthand.

I dont mind the flak I receive for this comment, I just had to state it.
i am 19 and i wont say i have much experience but am driving cars from an year (2 months drove 70 km on weekdays ) and still learning
i dont neet that 110 + BHP a to race but i just hate the turbo lag i hate it when my chevy beat takes ages to pick up ..i have driven honda civic for around 200-300 km and i just love driving that car
and i do lover my life and am not going to do something stupid and try my best not to invite any troubles ... i have seen cars wrecked - totaled and read in newspaper of people dying in car accidents
therefor i always wear the seat belts and m looking for cars with basic safety features like airbags and ABS

Thread Starter #9
Your Budget: upto a million bucks

> New or Used: new car unless u guys could help me finding a good used car in delhi (max 3 years used and 50k driven )

> Your Location: New Delhi, India

> Top Five Priorities: Safety, Comfort, reliability, Design, good pickup

> Monthly Running: nothings fixed but upto a 1k km at the max ..would be less as this would be a third car

> Type of Fuel: petrol is preferred

> For What Purpose: City usage

> Seating Capacity: 4 adults

> Type of Segment: sedan or crossover

thanks for helping folks !

No offense intended, but over time driving a manual becomes effortless. I would know, I used to have the same problem when I was new to driving.

I do not personally know of anyone who has had a bad experience with either VW or Fiat till date. In fact, I love most of Fiat's small cars including the Old 500, new 500, Stilo and Punto!

If you're in for a sedan why not buy the Linea with the 90HP engine?

If your preference was diesel i would have suggested Vento but as its Petrol buy City as Ecosport can't match the fun to drive factor of City petrol. Also City petrol has SV and VX models and there is no V variant. Get the VX one in manual.

Although not in your list still I will suggest to do a TD of Linea T-jet. You will be surprised how much fun it is to drive.

Thread Starter #12
No offense intended, but over time driving a manual becomes effortless. I would know, I used to have the same problem when I was new to driving.

I do not personally know of anyone who has had a bad experience with either VW or Fiat till date. In fact, I love most of Fiat's small cars including the Old 500, new 500, Stilo and Punto!

If you're in for a sedan why not buy the Linea with the 90HP engine?
Hoping that i also get used to a MT and it would be effortless in stop -go traffic
The chances of AT are looking sleek now as CVT is not my type and linea is a MT too if i go for that option and rarely someone is recommending the ford ecosport
And i really wish we had some premium hatch- backs like 500 in india

If your preference was diesel i would have suggested Vento but as its Petrol buy City as Ecosport can't match the fun to drive factor of City petrol. Also City petrol has SV and VX models and there is no V variant. Get the VX one in manual.

Although not in your list still I will suggest to do a TD of Linea T-jet. You will be surprised how much fun it is to drive.
I am going to test drive the linea soon as every one is recommending me that car ... Something must be good in it !
I see city overweighting the ecosport in almost all my requirements so i might go get the city but only after trying the linea.
if the linea does not overwhelm or i get some bad reviews or my dad doesnt allow me to buy a FIAT then i might go book a city as that would be the best bet
BTW. There is a model betweeen SV AND VX Called V Which does not have sunroof but 5 inch screen and alloy wheels and it cost 50k more than SV and 100k cheaper than VX and sorry i cannot buy the VX As it is out of my budget

Last edited:
BTW. There is a model betweeen SV AND VX Called V Which does not have sunroof but 5 inch screen and alloy wheels and it cost 50k more than SV and 100k cheaper than VX and sorry i cannot buy the VX As it is out of my budget
Sorry, i thought the discussion is for CVT which doesn't have a V variant. Petrol manual of course has a V variant.
Yes, i agree with you. VX doesn't makes any sense. That's what happened to me. I wanted V which had more waiting period and VX made no sense so i got Sv. Go for V as in 56k more one gets enough extra features.

i love driving the petrol & i dont like the NVH levels of diesel cars so its a no-no to diesel so what do u suggest in the safety aspect
a honda city or ford ecosport or some third option (sedan please) how about a ford fiesta 2014 instead of the classic is it a good competitor ?
Test drive one today, you will be amazed its fun to drive but rear is crammed. If the NVH factor is only thing that keeps you away from diesel then TD some diesel car .[:)]

Top Bottom