Please Help Me To Choose My First Car

Thread Starter #1
Hello friends and fellow members. This is my first post in this forum. Please help me to choose.

> Your Budget: (Eg: Rs.3 – 3.5 Lakh)

> New or Used: (Eg: New Car) (though not sure yet)

> Your Location: (Eg: Kolkata, India)

> Top Five Priorities: (Eg: Fuel efficiency, Low Maintenance, comfort, design, ease of driving)

> Monthly Running: (Eg: Between 300 – 1,000 Kms)

> Type of Fuel:
Patrol/ LPG

> For What Purpose: Occasional in-city use and sometimes going out on highways

> Seating Capacity: Maximum 5 Adults

> Type of Segment: (Eg: Sedan or MUV)

I am going to buy a car for the first time and I am from Kolkata. I intend to drive the car myself (I am learning to drive). It would be driven mostly within city but I may take it occasionally out. After a lot of deliberation, I have short listed the following:

Maruti Suzuki Alto 800 LXi

Maruti Suzuki Alto 800 Vxi

Tata Nano Twist

Considering the poor feedback I received and low power engine and the price comparison with the other two, I have almost ruled it out. So please help me with the following:

1. Am I right to rule out Nano Twist?

2. Should I go for Alto 800 VXi version instead of LXi for 15k extra? The dealers are really pushing me hard to buy the LXi version and then add a third party music system.

3. What accessories are important to have? I really like the "Parking assistance" with camera- is this a worth buy? (price about 10k).

Please help me out.

Thank you.

Well, have you checked out Datsun Go? I guess it will fit your budget(or stretch by 20k max) but will prove to be a better purchase than an Alto by every way.

Alto 800 is the best choice than Datsun go considering long term maintenance, spare parts availability and costs, ownership costs

Alto 800 is the best choice than Datsun go considering long term maintenance, spare parts availability and costs, ownership costs
Any report of shortage of spares supply or any long term ownership review of Datsun Go? Having driven one, I'll any day go for this 1200cc car over even a Hyundai i10, so good it is overall(it drives really well).

Best choice is Dutsun Go it is a awesome car with city average of 15kmpl. I did a TD and loved it over a cramped Alto 800.

Datsun Go [:)] it has more space ,IMHO looks good,But if you are firm on budget then Alto as ownership costs are known and its a maruti product (cheaper to maintain ). since you're a new to driving "Parking assistance with camera " will help you a lot. All the best[drive]

Last edited:
Sir,You could consider the Chevrolet Spark too.As It is your First car,Safety is the first and formost priority if I were you.It has got 4 star safety rating where all the 3 cars you have mentioned have failed !! Datsun GO is an excellent package.Only problem is Nissan Datsun Dealership is weaker than of Chevy's.Spark dosn't provide that space but it is a well built car and you could choose one among the Sparky and Go.I don't recommend going for the Alto Bros and the Nano only because of safety !! No offence meant to Owners.Here are some pics of Sparky !! Thank you

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

Thread Starter #10
Thank you so much for your responses.
Datsun GO was an option for me at the beginning, but I ruled that out because of two reasons- firstly, extremely weak dealer and service network (there is only one dealer in whole Kolkata city) and secondly, the availability of spare parts and serviceability. Otherwise I did like the car a lot. There is also another question of resale value, I am not sure what will happen in next 5 years for a brand relaunched by Nissan. You would be amazed to know that I am yet to see one single Datsun car plying in my city. :)

I have also ruled out Spark because of cost of ownership and resale value. Cost of ownership as well as on road price are more compared to Alto 800. Finally, the company quoted FE is quite less compared to the same for Alto800.

I also considered Alto K10. Excellent engine, I liked the looks too, though it was bit lower in height than Alto800 (and I am about 6ft tall) and the VXi version costs about 40~50k more than Alto 800 VXi.

So my main dilemma seems to be regarding LXi and VXi versions of Alto800.

Thanks again. :)

I own ALto 800 LXI version. VXI version has 4 door power window, Audio without CD (USB only) 2speakers, 12V socket, rear parcel tray, central door locking and spoiler.Now you decide upon your needs

My advise - Maruti Alto K10 VXi.
The Alto K10 needs no introduction – the highest selling car in this country..
The running cost of this car is almost negligible as spares are affordable and the reach of Maruti’s service network is second to none.
The Alto K10 is now available in two variants – LXi and VXi. The base variant gets almost nothing apart from AC and power steering, while all the other features like fog lamps, power windows, central locking are available with the VXi trim.
Ex-Showroom Price :- 3,51,940

Thread Starter #15
I did like Alto K10 a lot but I hardly find any reason for paying about 50K just for the engine as the space and other features are almost same in both (afaicr Alto 800 VXi is more feature rich). Furthermore the height of K10 is bit less though it offers better leg room. So ultimately, it seems the engine of K10 becomes the most important factor.

@dhoom9, any specific reason for suggesting VXi version over LXi version?

Last edited:

Top Bottom