Confused on Buying a New Car: Hyundai Grand i10 vs Toyota Etios Liva

Thread Starter #1
Dear friends sold off my indica vista, now looking for a diesel hatch back. Actually i am confused whether to go for i10 grande or toyota liva. Liva flimsy thin body worries me compared to the grande i 10.but grande diesel i10 is little under powered. Friends please put up your opinion on these two cars.

Liva is a good car in all aspects except Looks. Performance, Comfort, Space, Dynamics, Reliability, Peace of Mind are all good. The 1.4 Diesel has very good drivability and is efficient.

Grand i10 is a bit trendier, has more features, and is slightly cheaper. But that diesel engine is sore point as you have mentioned. It won't be as powerful as you're Vista.

Now, if you're looking to extend you're budget( you haven't mentioned) and wont mind different sized cars( Compact Sedan, Premium Hatch) then you have lots of options. Let me know it before i make you're decision simpler.

Here are my observations:
Liva:
+No hatchback can match back seat comfort
+ Space
+ Toyoto unmatched reliability
- Too thin metal sheet (Really too bad)
- Unrefined engine, i felt too much noise inside cabin
- Boring design,awful interiors( i hate that glove box design)

Grand
+ Features features and features
+ Perfect city car just drive like any other petrol car
+ dash intergrated gear lever and excellent interiors
+ new bee
- Lack punch on highways defenetly not under powered
- Hyndai maintenance cost comparing to toyoto, i paid 3200 for second(free) service.
- back seat is not an perfect 3 seater.

My recommendation is if you are too much spoiled with Tata vista (especially back seat comfort Liva is way to go dont even think of Grand i10
But if you are ready to comprise on Backseat comfort do a test drive and decide yourself (my personal recommendation is Grand i10 to escape yourself from Taxi image)[;)]

Last edited:
After having owned a Vista, I am not sure why you want to settle down for a smaller hatchback. Because there are some very good choices in the form of Polo 1.5 TDI, Punto(90hp), I20, which are in the upper range of the hatchback category, not to mention the Swift/Ritz cousins which follow immediately

Thread Starter #5
Here are my observations:
Liva:
+No hatchback can match back seat comfort
+ Space
+ Toyoto unmatched reliability
- Too thin metal sheet (Really too bad)
- Unrefined engine, i felt too much noise inside cabin
- Boring design,awful interiors( i have that glove box design)

Grand
+ Features features and features
+ Perfect city car just drive like any other petrol car
+ dash intergrated gear lever and excellent interiors
+ new bee
- Lack punch on highways defenetly not under powered
- Hyndai maintenance cost comparing to toyoto, i paid 3200 for second(free) service.
- back seat is not an perfect 3 seater.

My recommendation is if you are too much spoiled with Tata vista (especially back seat comfort Liva is way to go dont even think of Grand i10
But if you are ready to comprise on Backseat comfort do a test drive and decide yourself (my personal recommendation is Grand i10 to escape yourself from Taxi image)[;)]
Yes what you said is true the leg room and backseat comfort in indica vista is superb i did not get that feel in grand i10.

If it is for highway use,space & comfort >> liva

If it is for City, mostly single use, feature> > grand i10

What i heard from my friend who owns and Etious, swift & karizma- toyota service charges are very less than many other cars and even less than his karizma.

Close your eyes and go for Grand i10 diesel, best car in the segment. And who droves daily with 100+ speed?

All the best

Last edited:
As all mentioned, Grand i10 rear legroom is not bad. In fact, i found it to be much better than Swift and Figo(My uncle own Figo and I drove Swift long enough to conclude this). But again, Live gives you a lot of rear legroom, if you sacrifice a bit on design & interiors.

Grand i10 is a comfortable city rider, and with light clutch and steering wheel, city driving is breeze. OTOH, Liva clutch is a littlee bit long and not to my liking. I won't prefer it over Grand in City. I never got a chance to drive Liva in highways, so can't comment on this.

How about facelifted Polo? Heard a lot of good reviews.

Thread Starter #10
As all mentioned, Grand i10 rear legroom is not bad. In fact, i found it to be much better than Swift and Figo(My uncle own Figo and I drove Swift long enough to conclude this). But again, Live gives you a lot of rear legroom, if you sacrifice a bit on design & interiors.

Grand i10 is a comfortable city rider, and with light clutch and steering wheel, city driving is breeze. OTOH, Liva clutch is a littlee bit long and not to my liking. I won't prefer it over Grand in City. I never got a chance to drive Liva in highways, so can't comment on this.

How about facelifted Polo? Heard a lot of good reviews.
Definitely not a polo as fed up of reading reviews on poor volkswagen service plus high service costs.Now just waiting for 11th august to do a testdrive of new I20.shall decide after that.The flimsy thin body of toyota liva is worrying me otherwise i am comfortable with liva.

Since it's going to be a diesel, hence it must be Liva. It has got a gem of an engine with enough of the power and displacement to give fantastic driveability to the vehicle.
The 1.4 D-4D is silent, smooth and efficient along with the space this car offers inside is also nothing but great - only if you can adjust with poor interior quality and unconventional looking dashboard.

Rest you can try Nissan Micra too if ease of driving and space are your top priorities. No 'low - displacement' engines for me!!

Dude! Built quality of both cars is not up to the mark. LIVA lacks in aesthetic where i10 lacks in space. Since you mentioned DIESEL variant my thought is that your monthly drive would be accordingly.

If you have space for other cars to consider SWIFT, i20, i20-Elite, FIGO, Micra, Punto, BOLT [will be soon into the competition].

My suggestion:
If your daily/month/yearly drive is not that much to buy a DIESEL car, think of petrol variant and you can get a little higher variant in less or same money you pay.

Also think of your & car safety... go for car with ABS+EBD+Airbag.

I think between Liva and Grand I10,there is a big separator which impacts all of us.It is the mileage.

Grand I10 is between 24-25 as per AARI and Liva is around 18.Is it not a significant deciding factor considering the rising fuel prices.

Top Bottom