Car Buying Puzzle Intensified

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
My friend stays in a joint family with Four Petrol Hatchbacks. As per him, all of them have one or the other thing good and bad but none is perfect.
This time he is going to get the one for himself with budget of Rs. 10 Lakhs and below.
Lesser the better.
Fuel Option is Diesel, however he may compromise if he finds Petrol counterpart better.
He narrowed down his search on the (self made)criteria of 'P-Q-R-S'

P=Perforamcne - It should be punchy and not adequate or less
Q= Quality - Should feel good inside-out, Plush is the word, NVH Levels should not feel like Diesel(remeber his family is petrolhead [;)])
R= Ride Quality and Reliability - It should absorb bumps and potholes well, similarly out on the highways, it should stay flat and confident.
Reliability- He cannot compromise and does not like to take the car to Service Center apart from Periodic Services. He says,"No Niggles Allowed".
S=Safety, It must have two airbags and ABS

He is open to any body type as far as above criterias are met.

Last edited:
Only this came into my mind FIAT LINEA T-JET

P - It could do wonders with 1.4 Turbo charged petrol engine
Q - I don't have anything to complain about Linea (personal view)
R - Best in class ride & handling.
S - ABS + Airbags available

none is perfect
Sorry to say, you (or anyone) can't get a PERFECT car.

Last edited:
+100 to Mr.Boss Comment !! Linea is IMHO one of the best Cars to have under 10 Lakhs !! I don't know about the Safety ratings but i am sure it will be safe as the Frame is well designed !! Always go for the Top-end model !! My Options

Sedans

1) Fiat Linea 1.4 Turbo Petrol Around 9.8 Lakhs
2) Ford Fiesta 1.5 Turbo Diesel Around 9.3 Lakhs (No Petrol Version) [cry]
3) Chevrolet Sail 1.3 Turbo Diesel Around 7.7 Lakhs

Hatchbacks

1) VW Polo GT TSI Around 8.2 Lakhs (GT TDI Diesel Available)
2) Chevrolet Sail UVA Diesel Around 7 Lakhs (Petrol Available)
3) Fiat Punto SPORT Diesel or Petrol Around 8 Lakhs (If you can,Wait for the Punto Facelift as
its just around the corner)

Thank you

Only this came into my mind FIAT LINEA T-JET

P - It could do wonders with 1.4 Turbo charged petrol engine
Q - I don't have anything to complain about Linea (personal view)
R - Best in class ride & handling.
S - ABS + Airbags available

Sorry to say, you (or anyone) can't get a PERFECT car.
True! I wanted Fiat Linea with a lesser cost. Bought Tata Manza. Happy with it. Manza is extreme VFM, and a copy-paste of Linea. Also, engine and gear box are of Fiat Linea. Loads of features and costs less. Tata ASS is the best (at least by owning Alto for last 8 yrs., Tata ASS is much better than Maruti ASS, believe me).

The cars that tick the PQRS are
Ford Fiesta, Ford Ecosport, Fiat Linea, Honda City P, Maruti Ertiga, Volkswagen Polo GT TSI. As Mr.Boss said, no car is perfect. Last but not the least Diesel can no way be as refined as Petrol.

AMG

Suspended
P=Perforamcne - It should be punchy and not adequate or less
Q= Quality - Should feel good inside-out, Plush is the word, NVH Levels should not feel like Diesel(remeber his family is petrolhead )
R= Ride Quality and Reliability - It should absorb bumps and potholes well, similarly out on the highways, it should stay flat and confident.
Reliability- He cannot compromise and does not like to take the car to Service Center apart from Periodic Services. He says,"No Niggles Allowed".
S=Safety, It must have two airbags and ABS

Vento
Rapid

Now that Zest launch is just round the corner. I guess your friend should consider Zest. Its the most complete car that you can get in the current lot.

BTW have read in mutliple websites that Tata would be offering a mindboggling 3 years + extended 3 years warranty on the Zest. Though this is going to be a few month offer, its worth considering the car. Who gives this sort of warranty?

Last edited:

AMG

Suspended
His budget is 10 lakh rupees, so stop advocating the zest so much, which is clearly a segment below what he can afford to have.

AMG

Suspended
So if you atart a thread that you've got 50 lakhs to spend, I instead of suggesting tou E-class/A6/5 series, recommend you to get the 320d, what's your reaction be?

Thread Starter #15
"Thank You all guys" are the words from my friend. [clap]
He is overwhelmed by your response.

He had a word with his family which further restricted or filtered the choice.
As he said,

1. Since car would be driven mostly in city, it is best to stay in sub 4m range though it can be accommodated.

2. His family rejected Fiat but liked Linea. His family had bad ownership experience with Fiat Uno 1.2L petrol. Avoid is the word by family.

3. Same with TATA, they had Indica, which was efficient with chronic habit of visiting service center for one or the other problem. The experience at service center too was horrible.

4. He is well aware of Skoda horror stories but VW too is following. He is considering Vento albeit halfheartedly w.r.t peace of ownership.

5. His parents suggested to prefer Japanese/Koreans or volume cars as ownership experience is expected to be better.
One of their suggestion is Hyundai Verna 1.6L and Ford Ecosport.

He has driven Verna and found engine punchy, ride quality good for city but reports of bouncy suspension or boat like handling is really worrying him.
(He drives i20P so light steering isn't an issue)

He has not tested Ecosport but will it qualify P-Q-R-S criteria.

Any other cars from his filtered choices?

How about new i20? New Reports claim that it may have better handling and dynamics(Grand i10 has better ride, so more anticipation)
Thank you again for your time and patience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom