Need Inputs on Buying Tata Sumo Grande (Used)

Thread Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I am planning to look for Used Tata Sumo Grande MKII in the market. The space inside the car is good and i am a sort of guy to drive in reasonable speed around 100KMPH maximum.
I can see the price range from 3 Lakhs to 5 Lakhs. My Budget is around 4 lakhs maximum.
Since my plan was to replace the entire Seats and replace the stock steel rims with Alloys plus body skirts.
Kindly provide your input on buying a TATA product. What are all the thing i need to check for in the used Car.

Vanakkam bro! Check the car history thoroughly and for damage too.
Being a Tata car, it would have had it's share of niggles. Check for rust damage, mechanical parts, under body, turbo functioning and other key engine/ suspension/ transmission problems. One test drive would be enough to highlight any problem. Anyway think more than once before getting a second hand Tata car, depending on the kilometers the car has run and year of production.

Go through following thread http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...pecting-second-hand-car-exhaustive-guide.html
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-tata-sumo-grande-mk-ii-ownership-review.html

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/automotive-library/2182-looking-buy-used-car.html

Hi Everyone,
Since my plan was to replace the entire Seats
Why?? For what? Among all the UV cum SUVs like Scorpio, Sumo ,the Grande has got best seating comfort especially the model with the third front facing row.

Kindly provide your input on buying a TATA product. What are all the thing i need to check for in the used Car.
Do extensive research on the quality & reliability of TASS in your city .
Also read about reviews about suspension of the Grande.

Also

Last edited:
@Amby : I had brought Indica DLS(2004) model in 2006 around 17K Kms(Not sure) on ODO. And used it till 2012, previous generations TATA cars had some issue, But, it is managable and repairable. in TATA, Spares are damn cheap, so it won't make any hole in pocket.

BTW, Black Indica DLS made me to go for another TATA product, That is why I brought Vista and roaming happily with it.

checklist:
ODO reading, Tyre status, Engine refinement, Rust on body and underchase, rattles, Battery. I think these basic checks are enough.

tata sumo grande is a good car. it has stadium like space for the occupants. the ride quality is slightly uneven.

my friend has got a used sumo grande gx for 4.80 lakhs with 37 kms on the odo. the vehicle has a sheer size and looks very big.

things to check:

1. suspension.
2. electrical( worst in tata cars?
3. make sure that the odo is not tampered.

i got a safari ex 2008 for 3.90 lakhs with 48k on the odo. when you guy sumo grande, try bargaining a lot as it has a poor resale market.

Thread Starter #6
Thanks Guys for your valuable inputs.
@DJ Bro - As you said, the Kilometers run were the main aspect. But whether the TATA Service people will give the data to us.
@AppU - Great to see a proud owner of TATA cars. Spares were very cheap compared to Other manufacturers.

@Tornado - From my point of view, Seats were the first point in Comfort. Normally the seats were bit hard in almost all new cars. If you see my Ambassador, it have a different sort of Cushion with my custom height specifications, and Comfort is guaranteed. So only i am planning for that sort of seats.

Top Bottom