Booked New Wagon-R. Need Feedback & Inputs

Thread Starter #1
We were out in the market to buy a new car. The new car was meant to eventually replace our aging Zen MPFI 2004 Vxi. This thread is meant to aid prospective buyers (like me) with equipped with a budget of 4.5-5 Lacks with their car purchase:

Our prior requirements were:

1. Tall Boy – Easy Ingress/Egress.
2. Budget of 5 Lacks.
3. Petrol Hatchback since our monthly running is limited to 1000km.
4. 80% city runs and 20% highway runs.
5. Good mileage.
6. Good Resale value.
7. Good After-Sales service.

The cars that ticked our requirements were:

1. Maruti Celerio – Newest hatch in the block. But I was not a fan of the front end design howsoever. Seemed outdated. Rear would match that of an Alto. Plus the NVH levels were not to my liking.

2. Hyundai i10 1.1 iRDE2 – A complete package I must say. Good ride quality combined with quality interiors and Hyundai’s ASC. The low end torque of the 1.1 iRDE2 engine was better than the 1.2 Kappa2 engine and is a boon for city drives. Our assumption was - it may offer better mileage figures due to the low engine capacity. But the top end Sportz version was missing Rear Wipers and stock tires were too thin for my liking.

3. Maruti WagonR – Completely packed and ticked all our boxes. Revamped interiors looked neat although not as good as a Hyundai. The frugal 1 litre K-Series engine could not punch out the enough torque needed for city runs – a let down! [frustration] However the engine is built to yield out the maximum mileage. The NVH levels were high too, blame it on the 3-cylinder engine. Other than these, the car was shod with 14 inch tires, with inbuilt stereo and rear wipers. The OTR would come up to be 4.82L in Kolkata.

4. Maruti Ritz – The 1.2 K-Series engine is simply brilliant. The car is stable at high speeds and there is less body roll as compared to the WagonR. But the rear hatch design was a little quirky. However, the VXi trim (priced at ~5.4L) was not loaded with inbuilt stereo and the ZXi trim was beyond our budget.

5. Chevrolet Beat – the 1.2L engine is good to drive in city and the car is pretty easy to maneuver too. But the back bench felt claustrophobic. Hence ruled it out.

6. Honda Brio – The best petrol engine within this range. Free to rev and easy to drive. The road presence is excellent also. Good turning radius makes it easy to take turns. I would have taken it into consideration had it not been for the rear hatch design (safety issues) and low GC.

This would conclude our initial search. The final contenders were the Hyundai i10 and Maruti WagonR.

Booked the WagonR owing to better mileage figures, good resale value and better exchange value offered for our Maruti Zen Vxi.

Thanks for reading. Please provide your valuable inputs and feedbacks. [:)]

Re: Best Car under 4.5-5 Lacks

You made a good choice choosing Wagon R over i10
Sometimes i find the comparison pretty absurd between the two in driving experience.
Wagon R's K10 Engine is free revving unit and feels happy at revs above 1800rpm.
Sometimes you won't even come to know that you touched 3K RPM while accelerating.
But the low end suffers, you cannot lug this engine. Always stay above 1500RPM for this engine.
But does more revvs means more hit on FE. Seems to be NO, it yields better figures if you keep the revs between 1500-2500RPM and drops below 1500RPM.
The figures you can get from this engine would be better being 3 pot engine.
Just as a comparison we get 20kmpl on highways with AltoK10 so 18kmpl in Wagon R won't be an issue.

Contrary, i10's low end is much better, 45km/h and 5th gear, no problem. 2nd gear response, lovely and 4 pot engine's thrum.
i10 feels upmarket and relatively easier than Wagon R to drive but the ride quality suffers, well in Wagon R too but i feel more here.
The FE figure from 4 pot engine won't match 3 pot.
Also, I found no. of owners with glitches in their i10 were more from IRDE engine than Kappa. I doubt their QC for this engine.

Some High points
- Drop in performance is more felt in i10
- Driving fatigue is less in i10
- Gearshifts of i10 are much better than Wagon R
- Maruti After Sales Service is cheaper and better than Hyundai's.

Overall, if one looks for practicality, it's Wagon R.
Relatively Plush car is i10

P:S1: My views are on performance and driving front.
P:S2: All of the views are subjective to author's opinion. Forum has no connection with them :tongue:

Hello friends, can you suggest the best RPM range for Ritz. As whenever I shift to 2nd / 3rd gear at speed 10+ to 20+ the RPM comes at about 1000 RPM from 1.5k+. But generally it is suggested to drive around 1.5k to 2k range.

^^ RPM will fall down during gear change as engine is cut off. Once you change the gear and press accelerator pedal RPM will go up again. Try to shift 3-4 and 4-5 at 1.8 and 2.0 RPM only.

@Charger91 , Congrats on the Wagon R. Its a no nonsense car an very practical for city use. I owned one earlier (previous version) and absolute fun to drive in city.

Last edited:
Hello friends, can you suggest the best RPM range for Ritz. As whenever I shift to 2nd / 3rd gear at speed 10+ to 20+ the RPM comes at about 1000 RPM from 1.5k+. But generally it is suggested to drive around 1.5k to 2k range.
Irrespective of the car you drive, always look for the sweet sound of the engine. It takes time to get used to, but if you keep shifting gears in sweet sound spots, the engine is never stressed, mileage is great and you never have to see into the RPM meter..

Congrats Charger91!!

Which variant have you booked of WagonR?

I would suggest you to go for ABS variant, even if it has little waiting period or little more to pay for it. It will add a big safety to your car.

An Ideal Shifting RPM lies between 1600-2200RPM depending upon engine and gearbox characteristics of a car.
Shifting early will be lugging your engine, you can hear and distinguish it well.

Just try different combinations of shifting, hear and feel what's engine is saying.
Trust me, Your friend(Ritz) will talk and convey it's message, this way your relationship strengthens.

Thread Starter #9
You made a good choice choosing Wagon R over i10
Sometimes i find the comparison pretty absurd between the two in driving experience.
Wagon R's K10 Engine is free revving unit and feels happy at revs above 1800rpm.
Sometimes you won't even come to know that you touched 3K RPM while accelerating.
But the low end suffers, you cannot lug this engine. Always stay above 1500RPM for this engine.
But does more revvs means more hit on FE. Seems to be NO, it yields better figures if you keep the revs between 1500-2500RPM and drops below 1500RPM.
The figures you can get from this engine would be better being 3 pot engine.
Just as a comparison we get 20kmpl on highways with AltoK10 so 18kmpl in Wagon R won't be an issue.

Contrary, i10's low end is much better, 45km/h and 5th gear, no problem. 2nd gear response, lovely and 4 pot engine's thrum.
i10 feels upmarket and relatively easier than Wagon R to drive but the ride quality suffers, well in Wagon R too but i feel more here.
The FE figure from 4 pot engine won't match 3 pot.
Also, I found no. of owners with glitches in their i10 were more from IRDE engine than Kappa. I doubt their QC for this engine.

Some High points
- Drop in performance is more felt in i10
- Driving fatigue is less in i10
- Gearshifts of i10 are much better than Wagon R
- Maruti After Sales Service is cheaper and better than Hyundai's.

Overall, if one looks for practicality, it's Wagon R.
Relatively Plush car is i10

P:S1: My views are on performance and driving front.
P:S2: All of the views are subjective to author's opinion. Forum has no connection with them :tongue:
i10 surely feels upmarket. I would have gone for the Kappa2 engine if it was present with the old i10 model. The upper range for Kappa2 is better than i10. I feel ride quality is more balanced in i10 than the WagonR, there is less body roll as compared to the WagonR. The 4 cylinder engine is fun to drive and NVH levels are more refined.

@Charger91 , Congrats on the Wagon R. Its a no nonsense car an very practical for city use. I owned one earlier (previous version) and absolute fun to drive in city.
One of the reason we chose Wagon R is because of the hassle free experience down the years. Advantage of owning a Maruti I guess.

Congrats Charger91!!

Which variant have you booked of WagonR?

I would suggest you to go for ABS variant, even if it has little waiting period or little more to pay for it. It will add a big safety to your car.
Thanks! I was initially thinking of booking the VXi with ABS but it has long waiting periods in my city. Since the WagonR will be replacing our existing Zen VXi, we needed a car fast for our daily commute. So had to a book a Vxi trim.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
Yes. Thanks for the info.

Since my existing Zen is hooked up with Sony Xplod system with Amp, I am now planning to shift the Amp to WagonR and may spruce up the speakers sometime down the line with JBL. Just have to check the compatibility with existing HU of the WagonR.

Good Choice for the budget and your requirements brother.
I am constantly getting above 18kmpl in mine. Also keep the Engine above 1500rpm as below it there is very less to nil power and feels jerky. City driving is a breeze and seats are comfortable on long hauls. Music system is decent and instrument is easy to read.
Please go through my short ownership report here http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ki-wagon-r-stingray-vxi-ownership-review.html

Thanks
DRIVE SAFE

Thread Starter #13
Thanks Buddy. Good to know that about the mileage figures. Is it with AC on?

Good Choice for the budget and your requirements brother.
I am constantly getting above 18kmpl in mine. Also keep the Engine above 1500rpm as below it there is very less to nil power and feels jerky. City driving is a breeze and seats are comfortable on long hauls. Music system is decent and instrument is easy to read.
Please go through my short ownership report here http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ki-wagon-r-stingray-vxi-ownership-review.html

Thanks
DRIVE SAFE

Congrats Charger91 for your new machine. Wagon R is excellent choice to be made and I too had almost ismilar requirement as your and I made the same choice except I went for CNG mode. The differentiators for me were Ample Space for all + Awesome Ingress/Egress + Super driving position /road view

Top Bottom