Planning To Buy a New Car For Rs.5 Lakh

Thread Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am planning to buy a new car in Bangalore. Here are the details:

• I am new for driving (Took driving lessons and got License)

• Looking for a car around 5Lakhs

• For city ride: 750-1000km/month (office and family use)

• Top priorities: Fuel Efficient, Comfort, stylish interiors & exterior, safety and low maintenance cost

• Type of fuel : Petrol or CNG

Thanks in advance

^^ How about Alto K10/Datsun GO/Eon Sportz+

K10 - Peppy Engine, Good FE, Low cost of ownership - OK interior
GO - Good engine, good space, FE -Yet to know about service stories,-Interiors are bland
Eon - Good interiors,Good looker -Puny engine, average A/C

Please let us know which all car are you considering ?

Any specific reason for not going for Diesel car as at 1K per month you may break even earlier?

It looks like your first car, How many people will usually (family size) in it?

How much will be your highway travel?

Thread Starter #5
Please let us know which all car are you considering ?

Any specific reason for not going for Diesel car as at 1K per month you may break even earlier?

It looks like your first car, How many people will usually (family size) in it?

How much will be your highway travel?
Thanks for replay

I thought diesel car may cost more, so I not include that option.

For family of 5 members and I am only driver [:D]. as of now exclude highway drive

I am considering below option based on internet reviews only, actually im not having any practical experience in cars

1. Hyundai i10 or grand
2. Maruti Suzuki Celerio
3. Maruti Suzuki Swift
4. Maruti Waganor
5. Chevrolet Beat
6. Datsun GO

Among the above, Grand i10 diesel will be best option for you. Excellent interiors, space and nice city handling along with excellent FE makes it good buy.

Out of the cars you have shortlisted, some are petrol and some are diesel. The choices you have made are good. But remember that some cars have some uniqueness in them. Let me make it simple to you.
1. Hyundai Grand i10/ i10 - Both are good, but the Grand i10 is new and is a better choice. Petrol version is good while diesel has 2 shortcomings, it lacks grunt and is very underpowered. Engine is refined, efficient though. Apart from this Space, Interiors, Exteriors are all good. Majority of sales comes from petrol version.

2. Maruti Celerio - It is a fresh product and is in good demand especially the AMT versions. It's spacious has a good sized boot and is well priced. Negatives, that k10 engine is underpowered. Maruti service costs are on the higher side now, once they were very cheap, but not now. No safety features in mid and low variants.

3. Maruti Swift - It is the most popular car here, and is a bigger car then mentioned ones. Good pair of engines, good Dynamics, good FE. Small boot and dark cabin are its weaknesses.

4. Maruti WagonR - Tallboy design, easy entry/exit, compact dimensions, practicality. Weak engine like Celerio. My sister has one and you need to work hard to get the car moving. We have paid very costly service bills for it.

Other options are Nissan Micra Active, Honda Brio, Ford Figo.
I will definitely recommended Brio if you are ready to compromise on boot space. Its a fantastic little car. You can get base model for around 5lakhs, it has AC, Power Steering, Power Windows, Central Locking. If you don't like it, then my next best suggestion is the Grand i10 (Petrol) version.

Last edited:
For 5 lakh rs, you would need to compromise on some or the other feature. I would say that Micra Active (fully loaded ) would be a great option, it has safety features, PLENTY of space for 4 people, and a large boot (250lts plus). The engine is tuned for economy, so generates 68ps for 1200cc. But thats fine for everyday use. Fuel efficiency should be good too.. I get around 15kmpl for my Micra CVT, so a manual should be even better..

Venky. Your best choice would be between Maruti Wagonr and Celerio. They got better city FE and would suit your budget well. Test drive both and decide.

Thanks for replay

I thought diesel car may cost more, so I not include that option.

For family of 5 members and I am only driver [:D]. as of now exclude highway drive

I am considering below option based on internet reviews only, actually im not having any practical experience in cars

1. Hyundai i10 or grand
2. Maruti Suzuki Celerio
3. Maruti Suzuki Swift
4. Maruti Waganor
5. Chevrolet Beat
6. Datsun GO
Hi Venky,

These all are good cars and are being sold in good numbers in the market. But you need to select the one which suits your budget and requirements for long run.

1.) i10: It used to have great kappa2 engine which they have been moved to grand now, No point in buying i10. Grand is a gud option. Hyundai makes good & smarter packages but some how I am not a fan of Hyundai, especially due to their costly service.

2) Celerio: Being a maruti, service cost will be lower and resale value will be higher BUT if those are not the only things you looking in the car than as nishant5858 mentioned, I too feels its underpowered.

3) Swift: Getting face lift very soon, This will be gud option if it fits in your budget and you don't mind buying a car which is very common on streets. I use to in love with its older version... [:)]

4) WagonR: Tall boy design, still selling like hot cakes.... top model should cost u around 4.5K, easy to drive. But not very gud on highways due to body roll.

5) Beat: Its a dud when going in for a patrol car. Its get sold mostly in diesel due to the fact that its the cheapest diesel car available. You should consider it only when going for diesel version.

6) Go: I test drove it sometime back for my friend who was a first time buyer just like you and was learning driving. By the looks and on paper it really looks a great car but I found it lagging in terms of security and quality. Even after being quite big it weigh only 750Kg. Getting parts will be difficult and can be costly.

Just like nishant5858, Pravin & acechip, I will suggest you to have a look at micra active & brio. I myself have bough Brio some 2.3 years back and its going gud. Swift was out of budget and common, Wife rejected wagonR and I rejected i10. [angel] Only issue with it is its small boot and because my daily travel is now 70 kms... I have to spend extra on it being a patrol car.

I will suggest you to test drive all cars and make a wise decision.

Top Bottom