Advice on Buying a Small Cheap Compact Car?

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I am looking to buy a small and cheap car, I don't plan on using it that long, maybe about 3 to 5 years. I want a new car and I don't like the TATA nano. I want it to have A/C and I generally don't want many options and want the most basic model even if its slow, I don't really need power steering. So far I can't chose but I saw a Hyundai Eon and it seemed interesting. I don't want it to have too high maintenance cost.

Advice please. I'm looking for stuff in the budget of the Hyundai Eon.

If you concern more on resale value then take cars from maruti or hyundai
otherwise you can include Datsun GO also

Thread Starter #4
How is the value for money of the Eon, its running cost and safety? What's the main differences between these cars. I'm currently interested in the most basic model of the Eon. Is it strong enough and does it drive fine?

Cost wise which of these cheap cars is the most worth it? What is the difference between the Santro and Eon?
I've never had a low cost car before.

You should definitely look at the Datsun Go, it is great value for money. Otherwise you would be better off with the Alto K10 or Santro.

If you are concerned about safety, just walk away from the Eon.

Basically, the Santro is a more suitable family car due to it's larger size and more powerful engine, which means you can fit 5 passengers quite well and the engine will not struggle much even if the car is heavily loaded. Meanwhile, the Eon struggles to fit more than 4 occupants and has a small boot.

If you have no problem with it being a very short car, the K10 would likely be better in terms of resale value.

Thread Starter #6
You should definitely look at the Datsun Go, it is great value for money. Otherwise you would be better off with the Alto K10 or Santro.

If you are concerned about safety, just walk away from the Eon.

Basically, the Santro is a more suitable family car due to it's larger size and more powerful engine, which means you can fit 5 passengers quite well and the engine will not struggle much even if the car is heavily loaded. Meanwhile, the Eon struggles to fit more than 4 occupants and has a small boot.

If you have no problem with it being a very short car, the K10 would likely be better in terms of resale value.
I'm not really concerned about size as its just for one person and in fact I like the small size of the Eon. I saw one and found it quite nice. Safety doesn't matter that much and its a small car as long as its reasonably safe. Would body parts etc be cheap for the Eon? I don't know why but I don't like the look of the K10 that much.

Datsun Go seems interesting though and so does the Nissan micra.

I would advice you to go with K10 or Datsun Go.

K10 - Cheap maintenance and spare costs and even if bumpre gets damaged, you won't have to shell out more.

Go - Sturdy build, and very cheap cost-of-ownership as per the company's claim.

I don't think Eon is a good choice when it comes to ease of maintenance.

Eon has the better interier in the segment.

Datsun go is the real VFM car in the segment. It is really a looker from outside and bigger though interier is not that great.You should look at Micra active also though the price will 50-100K rs more than Go.

Datsun go is the real VFM car in the segment. It is really a looker from outside and bigger though interier is not that great.
+1 to that.
EON interior is great (at its segment) but it struggles on an incline with AC and 4 persons, alto800 also struggles but a little better (a little)
i did compare both of them for my friend, even though Hyundai was offering loads of accessories he opted for the Alto800.

Planning to TD the Datsun GO and Celerio for another friend this week. will post updates.

I'm not really concerned about size as its just for one person and in fact I like the small size of the Eon. I saw one and found it quite nice. Safety doesn't matter that much and its a small car as long as its reasonably safe. Would body parts etc be cheap for the Eon? I don't know why but I don't like the look of the K10 that much.

Datsun Go seems interesting though and so does the Nissan micra.
The Eon might not be your best bet then, certain parts can be quite costly and resale might not be that strong.

Datsun Go may not have great resale value either, but the company is flaunting it as the lowest maintenance vehicle in it's class. I would recommend the Go.

Thread Starter #12

Datsun go is the real VFM car in the segment. It is really a looker from outside and bigger though interier is not that great.You should look at Micra active also though the price will 50-100K rs more than Go.
No offence, but I would still would advise you to TD Nano Twist.

Next Best options are Alto 800, Alto K10, Go, Beat , Micra Active, Celerio.
I would advice you to go with K10 or Datsun Go.

K10 - Cheap maintenance and spare costs and even if bumpre gets damaged, you won't have to shell out more.

Go - Sturdy build, and very cheap cost-of-ownership as per the company's claim.

I don't think Eon is a good choice when it comes to ease of maintenance.
+1 to that.
EON interior is great (at its segment) but it struggles on an incline with AC and 4 persons, alto800 also struggles but a little better (a little)
i did compare both of them for my friend, even though Hyundai was offering loads of accessories he opted for the Alto800.

Planning to TD the Datsun GO and Celerio for another friend this week. will post updates.
Thanks for your advice. I did some research and currently I am considering the Maruti 800 AC, Alto 800 and Hyundai Eon mostly and I'm sort of opening up to the idea of Tata Nano a bit too. I am looking for a cheap car and I'm not too bothered with low performance etc that comes with it. I already have a large powerful vehicle.

It will be mostly used without passengers. I do find the Eon nicer still currently and the Maruti 800 AC looks interesting too. The whole point of this is to experience a low cost Indian hatch.

I have not yet decided though and if I increase the budget, I'd consider Renault Pulse, Nissan Micra, Fiat Punto .... and guess what Ambassador might be interesting too.

Thanks for your advice. I did some research and currently I am considering the Maruti 800 AC, Alto 800 and Hyundai Eon mostly and I'm sort of opening up to the idea of Tata Nano a bit too. I am looking for a cheap car and I'm not too bothered with low performance etc that comes with it. I already have a large powerful vehicle.

It will be mostly used without passengers. I do find the Eon nicer still currently and the Maruti 800 AC looks interesting too. The whole point of this is to experience a low cost Indian hatch.
Maruti 800 AC is phased out. You can buy Alto 800. Check my thread on same.

I think you are perfect customer for Tata Nano Twist. You may want to wait for few months as Nano Automatic is being launched.

I may suggest something different, you can also look for Spark. It is nice and small car and strong enough but you may not get better fuel efficiency on this.

http://www.chevrolet.co.in/spark-low-maintenance-car.html

It has better look and little premium over like K10, Eon etc.

I have one at my home town and I love to drive it whenever I visit parents.

Going with your requirement Nano Twist suits you best. I guess less than 3 lakhs and also it will offer better visibility on road.

On stretching a budget little , you can also look for Celerio.

Last edited:

Top Bottom