Ertiga Petrol vs Diesel? Unable To Take Decision

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

Please tell me which will be most economical car for me, maruti ertiga ZXI( petrol ) or maruti ertiga ZDI( diesel ) ? rate difference between both car is rs. 1.5 lac. my annual travelling is maximum 20000 km per year(15000 city + 5000 hi way). my area petrol rate is 78 & diesel rate is 60.
1. Current fuel difference(diesel vs petrol) is 18/- rs. After six months i am expecting difference will be 8 Rs/- .

please consider this also.

sorry for poor English.

Re: Ertiga petrol vs diesel ? unable to take decision

With initial price, you also need to consider the bit higher maintenance and service costs.

Personally I would say go for Diesel Ertiga, because when you say your usage would be 20000 per year, I know it would go above it. No logic, just a feeling as a car enthu.

Since your annual running is 20k go for the diesel ertiga. For highway trips i always prefer a diesel for its higher torque and low RPM.

Go for Ertiga Diesel because your annual running would be 20000kms. Also, the DDiS engine is really good to drive and has enough grunt for the highway and personally having learnt driving on diesels I like the diesel cars.

Since your annual mileage is quite high, its best to go for diesel variant.
Given that the diesel engine is an absolute mile muncher, it will be the best for highways.

Its diesel one.
Year 1
78/14 = 5.6
61/17 = 3.6
Savings = 40000

Year 2 onwards
69/17 = 4Rs
Savings = 32000

+Easily you will break up investment by 5th year onwards.
+ Going forward Fuel prices will go up better mileage means fast recovery of investment
+Resale value: Market Mood may change once diesel subsidy was removed but it might be limited only for Hatchbacks & sedans definetly not for big vehicles.

Eyes closed: Its diesel for you

Last edited by a moderator:
maruti ertiga ZXI( petrol ) or maruti ertiga ZDI( diesel ) ? rate difference between both car is rs. 1.5 lac. my annual travelling is maximum 20000 km per year(15000 city + 5000 hi way).
Go for Diesel.

1.5L price difference can be recovered in 3~4 years. Your assumption of 20k km annually isn't such a small mileage and ofcourse the actual will be higher than the initial assumption in most cases.

If you are planning to keep your car for a long time that is more than 5 years then go for diesel. but if you are a frequent car changer then go for petrol as the extra costs would not be recovered.

Hi All,

Please tell me which will be most economical car for me, maruti ertiga ZXI( petrol ) or maruti ertiga ZDI( diesel ) ?
Diesel could be deregularised soon ( wait for the budget), if so, it makes no sense for you to go for diesel.

Source: Economic Times

If your monthly running is above 1500 KM then go for Diesel Ertiga.
If the Diesel deregularised soon..then Diesel car will not be a cheper tourer.

As per my experience, my ZXi return around 13KMPL in town with 60% AC.
On Highway i am getting around 15/16 KMPL with 90% AC.

As suggested if you can wait for budget then all situation will be more clear.

Diesel could be deregularised soon ( wait for the budget), if so, it makes no sense for you to go for diesel.
Even if it is deregulated and priced Rs 10/- lesser than petrol , still it makes sense for him to go for Diesel due to high running and better FE.

See Post # 7 of this thread for calculation. Do your math before giving advise to some one.

Even if it is deregulated and priced Rs 10/- lesser than petrol , still it makes sense for him to go for Diesel due to high running and better FE.
The difference quoted is a speculation, just wait a month and the picture will be clear!

Anything beyond a running of 15000kms suits diesel for the difference of fuel rates even if the plan is to remove the subsidy which wont be getting with the same price as petrol any sooner, along with the better FE you would have with diesel mill.
ZDI is the choice.

Top Bottom