Is Figo VFM in Terms of Resale Value?

Thread Starter #1
After reading lot of threads in various forums I have finalized to go for figo D titanium but have doubt about it's resale value.

Is it worth to buy it ? .. keeping in mind the value we will get after 4-5 year if plan to upgrade .

I am not that sure about it but know that certainly it has less resale value than Swift , amaze, grand i10 but then it also come cheaper than these. But where this all settles in terms of net value for money

I know I am thinking too much but as a biker I am feeling very tough to spend bucks on car [;)] hence checking all aspects

I differ that.....
I travelled in Figo petrol and own an grand i10 deisel

Its obvious that you pay for what you are getting.

Figo:
+ves
Decade old engine but proven and rock solid one, Wow no turbo lag at all
Excellent ride quality and stability the best in segment or trail punto
Excellent AC

-ves
FE is not great comparing to it segment
Poor Ford resale value + outdated model
Low stance
Budget dashbaord and bare basic door ( i hate that sound when we close door)
No back power windows, A big no after paying commendable price
Built quality is bit poor, people reported paint quality also not upto mark which show rust signs after 3-4 years

Grand i10

+ves
Premium dashboard + very good built quality + even boot looks premium with its plastic cladding
Class leading features
Looks are deceptive its truely spacious inside
Better fuel efficiency comparing to Hyundai siblings
Am i driving petrol car feel + your truely an good city car

-Ves
Lack punch on highway, 1 cylinder less for better fuel efficeincy pay price here
Not so good AC

Now you can decide which is more VFM.
I go for Grand and list goes on as below(keeping Resale value as important criteria)

1) Grand i10
2) Ritz
3) i20 (yes its bang for buck though it looks costly)
4) Swift
5) Figo
6) punto
7) Liva
8) Micra
9) Polo

May be my choice might become wrong once Our TATA release its flagship model

Last edited:
When i purchase figo on 2011 i felt its vfm, and may be my thinking is narrow i didnt find any relationship between the terms VFM and RESALE VALUE because i felt VFM refers to the money you spent is worth it or not and if it comes to automobiles we need sell that at lower price (sell at price lower than the price you paid )

Some used to calculate fuel used and kms done intrest rate and so on to say i have sold it out at profitable price, but i felt for what i spent did i got the comfort i expect, did i got my expected driving pleasure does maters to me in such way it differs from person to person.

Resale value is just a prediction just assume what if suzuki closed its business in india (remember once standard motors is a famous company but shut down all of sudden and same thing goes with daewoo cars in india )

I baught figo at 6.60 lakhs when selling same ford dealer asked for 4.10 lakhs and other sellers like mahindra first choice said it will fetch only 3.90 lakhs

You know onething i used the figo for 3 years it ran close to 30 k on odo and thru olx i sold it out at 4.75 lakhs

So it depends up on your selling skills too,

Requesting you to prioritize safety, comfort and quality ahead of resale value.

If it comes to urgency for money one will sell his car at dead cheap price (my friend got a 8000 kms and 7 or 9 months old only good condition fortuner at 12 lakhs, because the seller is in need of money)

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
Thanks Dear , a useful clue for me.

When i purchase figo on 2011 i felt its vfm, and may be my thinking is narrow i didnt find any relationship between the terms VFM and RESALE VALUE because i felt VFM refers to the money you spent is worth it or not and if it comes to automobiles we need sell that at lower price (sell at price lower than the price you paid )
Yeah, but I am including selling price, stretching definition of VFM a bit i.e considering money you get back once you sell.

Some used to calculate fuel used and kms done intrest rate and so on
You are right but I prefer handling , ride quality over mileage

I baught figo at 6.60 lakhs when selling same ford dealer asked for 4.10 lakhs and other sellers like mahindra first choice said it will fetch only 3.90 lakhs
You know onething i used the figo for 3 years it ran close to 30 k on odo and thru olx i sold it out at 4.75 lakhs
I got a fair Idea friend. I was look for this approx figure. Even if I will get 50-55% after ~3.5 yrs then I feel it ok.

What I was afraid of finding no buyers after 3-4 yrs given dated looks but I feel I was thinking too pessimistic .

Requesting you to prioritize safety, comfort and quality ahead of resale value.
Yeah , thats why I am only looking for cars with AirBag and ABS [:)]

If it comes to urgency for money one will sell his car at dead cheap price (my friend got a 8000 kms and 7 or 9 months old only good condition fortuner at 12 lakhs, because the seller is in need of money)
Sad, and this opportunistic world [anger] ... I can stretch for an i20 or entry sedan but safety in term of feature and as well as pocket is my top priority this time. Only when it comes to biking my hearts always win over logic.

Rather go for RITZ ZXi/ZDi, you will like the built quality and performance of the car.

+ VFM for Maruti is always better.
- Some people do not like the shape of the car.

Rather go for RITZ ZXi/ZDi,

- Some people do not like the shape of the car.
Swift is VFM but not RITZ

Yeah still some people argues that Honda built quality as bad what to do...

RITZ is a hatchback, but am still not able to figure out why it has a hatchdoor at back with low or almost no luggage space.

Last edited:
There is no norms to sell or buy a used car although firms like truevalue, 2nd choice etc., are trying to fix some means. But i personally think second hand buyers still prefer a maruti than other brand. But you cannot think about resale when you buy a product which you like today!!!

It depends on how one defines a "VFM" product.

Some will define them keeping running and maintenance cost in mind.
Some will define them keeping engines and diving pleasure in mind.
some will determine VFM based on resale value and space it has to offer.
Some will simply prefer japanese/european cars over the americans.

I belong to the second category. I never thought of resale when we were buying a car. You just have to be sure the car meets your priorities for which you pay.

And yes in the second hand market swift is a clear winner in india atleast. But i would have preffered a punto (talking of diesel cars) or a honda (talking of petrol). These are the ones who respect my priority of driving pleasure courtesy of their respective engines

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
@msn1 I own both a ritz vxi and a swift vxi. Let me assure you ritz has more spacious boot as compared to swift.Even the specs confirm it.I have loaded my 8 year son's bicycle multiple times in ritz but it was not possible in swift even once. Ritz is a value for money sturdier hatchback from maruti but I feel swift has more resale value because its most popular. Most of the people avoided ritz because of its back. The shape of the rear is the single most important thing for disliking it in favour of swift.As for me I have gotten used to it.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
And yes in the second hand market swift is a clear winner in india atleast.
I was not looking for a resale value like of swift but still a 50 % post 3.5 yrs is something OK for a Figo (and acceptable to me) ... I guess. But not sure whether even that much be the value given that new FIGO model is already due next year ??

But i would have preferred a punto (talking of diesel cars) or a honda (talking of petrol). These are the ones who respect my priority of driving pleasure courtesy of their respective engines
Honda Amaze is also I am looking for.. but in used car market for a VX MT diesel model but hard to find. I will wait max till May else will go for a FIGO (... still a bit confused [confused] but seems to no other option)

For Punto D , I think it's all about looks else engine wise, I would like to wait for Bolt

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Even me and my dad were having a discussion on the same. I told him if we buy a diesel hatch i'll go for rhe figo since it will come around 6.5 lakhs having all the safety features.

I liike figo's design and when i read about the handling and performance i was impressed then members having figo reported that even the maintenance is low i was more impressed.

The other day i was reading about figo and dad came and asked what car are you looking at.

I told him it's the figo and i think we should buy this whenever we will buy the next hatch.

As soon as i told him about figo he just said there's no resale value. I told him that we'll get all the safety features and a good car but he said there's no point in discussing. [confused]

I told my cousin about figo he too said that it has no resale.

Told an uncle about figo he said the same.

I myself got confused why nobody will look at the car and the performance but it's true that figo will fetch lesser value after 5 years.

Figo titanium diesel is 2nd on my list after grand i10.

Grandi10 asta(o) with airbags and abs cost 7.2 lakhs on road. I had a chat with the sales executive and he told me he'll give cash discounts (7k) and may give more on closing the deal. 10 k discounts as loyalty. So a difference of 50k in figo and grand i10. If i pay 50k more on grand i10, i know that i will get most of the amount back in resale.

I know how confusing this will be but in the end money is the biggest factor.

Last edited:
After reading lot of threads in various forums I have finalized to go for figo D titanium but have doubt about it's resale value.

Is it worth to buy it ? .. keeping in mind the value we will get after 4-5 year if plan to upgrade .

I am not that sure about it but know that certainly it has less resale value than Swift , amaze, grand i10 but then it also come cheaper than these. But where this all settles in terms of net value for money

I know I am thinking too much but as a biker I am feeling very tough to spend bucks on car [;)] hence checking all aspects
So it depends up on your selling skills too,
MSN1 covered it pretty well. IMO, resale value is based on how the car is used, maintained, and of course sold. Nothing else. I personally don't believe spending more money on buying a car with very basic or less features, thinking it will fetch a better value after 5 years. Rather will go for a, a better one for the same cost of lesser to enjoy my today's ride.

When I bought Figo D ZXi in Mar 2011 for 5.75 Lks. Swift VDi was placed at 6.5 Lks minus features like BT (Sorry, not even ICE), Powered ORVMs, Rear Wiper, Washer & Demister, Lesser Cabin Space and Boot Space, etc. etc. the list was long then. Moreover, ZDi wasn't available at all and the waiting period for VDi was 9 Months! So, I pay about 75K more, to get less and again spend some more for some of these accessories like ICE etc. So, that was the game then and it's nothing really different even today, except for ZDi on sale. However, the Titanium is more equipped today compared to the the time I bought it.

Hope you would have got a better picture with my example.

Swift is VFM but not RITZ
Madhu - Are you sure you wanted to mention Swift as VFM? [surprise] IMO, it was never and most probably will ever.

Thread Starter #13
When I bought Figo D ZXi in Mar 2011 for 5.75 Lks. Swift VDi was placed at 6.5 Lks minus features like BT (Sorry, not even ICE), Powered ORVMs, Rear Wiper, Washer & Demister, Lesser Cabin Space and Boot Space, etc. etc. the list was long then. Moreover, ZDi wasn't available at all and the waiting period for VDi was 9 Months! So, I pay about 75K more, to get less and again spend some more for some of these accessories like ICE etc.
You bought FIGO D but paid 75 K more ? sorry I am confused.

I also checked carefully and I dont think Figo KA is going be launch before 2015 mid at least .

But Bolt and Zest launch too near to ignore them hence will wait for 2 month for it's test drive. In aug hopefully Zest and Bolt will be ready

Madhu - Are you sure you wanted to mention Swift as VFM? [surprise] IMO, it was never and most probably will ever.
Called swift as VFM when compared to RITZ (among both the cars swift is VFM)

while telling the above statement have excluded all other cars such as vista figo manza punto...

@ yogeshmalhotra
Bolt and Zest looks promising but we have to see it in real life performance (just a praising review from so called media doesn't makes any car as the best its performance at the hands of actual customer makes it.....)

Last edited:
You bought FIGO D but paid 75 K more ? sorry I am confused.
Of course not. Hope I quoted the figures rightly... [surprise] I said, if I had to take Swift, I should pay 75 K more (than Figo) for getting lesser features and other mentioned pointers (than Figo) and wait for more than 9 months.

Called swift as VFM when compared to RITZ (among both the cars swift is VFM)
Got it. Thanks.

Bolt and Zest looks promising but we have to see it in real life performance (just a praising review from so called media doesn't makes any car as the best its performance at the hands of actual customer makes it.....)
Very valuable point Madhu. Though Tata have better products today, yet they are not best or could be better than what they are. Just my personal view! Ideally, a perfect verdict on Bolt & Zest will be known at least after a year of their launch.

Top Bottom