The BIG Hatchback Dilemma!

Thread Starter #1
Finally the time has come folks. Our wait is finally going to end. Dad has decided that within a month or two, we will book our first car. But that is where all the simplicity ends and the confusion begins. Our budget is around Rs.5 lakh (no more than that-it is already stretched to the limit) and we will be buying the car on finance. Trouble is, there is a plethora of options to choose from in this segment, making our decision more difficult. After a lot of consideration, we have been able to come down to these four cars-

1.Ford Figo 1.2 EXI/ZXI Petrol
2.Maruti Suzuki Wagon R LXI Petrol
3.Tata Indica Vista Aura Petrol
4.Volkswagen Polo Trendline Petrol

Our main requirements are easy drivability, space, solid build quality and good ride comfort. Mileage and performance are not a concern as the car will hardly be run 300-400 kms per month and none of us are driving enthusiasts. It seems then, that the automatic choice should either be the Figo or the Vista. But its not that simple. You see, when we get our next car, this car will be handed over to ME. And I do not want to have a roller of a vehicle (I am a hot-blooded teen after all [:D] ) and that's why my heart is set on the Polo, even if it is a bit impractical and pricey. I want to know your opinion on this. I am just worried about the spare and service costs of the Polo, as my brothers are newbies, and minor accidents are bound to happen. We cannot afford huge spare bills. I am not sure about Tata's aftersales service, and the Wagon R and Figo are a bit too serious for me, but they are more sensible and I feel, in the long run, will be more reliable and easier on the pocket too. Also, any advice on financing is very much welcome.

HELP GUYS!!!! [confused]

I think since you are keen on going for a petrol, then the best choice would be the new WagonR. with the new wagonr you dont have to compromise on interiors or looks. It is a great package and imo suits your needs.
Stay away from Vista as its petrol engine is really boring and add to it the troublesome tata a.s.s.

Hello Amaan,

Your expectations are pretty clear!

Latest heartthrob in market. But not an proven petrol engine.

Still in top ten selling car. Huge space, not an impressive engine.

Would not recomend petrol cars from TATA. These guys are good at diesel hearts.

Best your money can buy. More advanced & impressive German!! engine in India.

I would recommend VW Polo as its the Gem of Car you can buy :)

The mainitenance will be on lower side as the service intervals are on the higher end. But Spares are likely to be costly. But dont stay away from Polo just forthe cost of spares, since spare costs will come down soon & after all its going to be your car very soon [;)]

Last edited:

The mainitenance will be on lower side as the service intervals are on the higher end. But Spares are likely to be costly. But dont stay away from Polo just forthe cost of spares, since spare costs will come down soon & after all its going to be your car very soon [;)]
another vote from my side in favour of the polo.

Go for the Polo!
but the Vista aint that bad! I heard it has the FIRE engine from FIAT. Anyone please confirm this.

Thread Starter #6
Hello Amaan,

Your expectations are pretty clear!

Latest heartthrob in market. But not an proven petrol engine.

Still in top ten selling car. Huge space, not an impressive engine.

Would not recomend petrol cars from TATA. These guys are good at diesel hearts.

Thanks for the help Zinam! But I don't think the new Wagon R has a bad engine, in fact I have heard the car has some decent pep under the hood. As far as the Vista goes, I actually love it for the comfort it offers, and it might have been a default pick for us. It's just the fact that Tata have not even bothered to call me back after I had enquired about the car two weeks ago. They seem to be truly lazy.

Go for the Polo!
but the Vista aint that bad! I heard it has the FIRE engine from FIAT. Anyone please confirm this.
Yes, it does have the 1.2 FIRE engine from Fiat. We had taken a test drive and trust me, that thing has superb pickup! Okay, it doesn't have outright speed or grunt, but who needs that anyway? We're just gonna be driving in the city with a rare highway trip. And I think the Vista's low-end grunt is perfectly suited to city-driving. Also, I'd like to mention here that I have met scores of petrol Vista owners, and not one of them has been unhappy with their car. They just love it, and that's what made me consider the Vista.

practical choice would be the wagon r but if i was in your place, i would opt for the polo. also do consider that polo's spares & service would be costlier than maruti's.

Thanks for the help Zinam! But I don't think the new Wagon R has a bad engine, in fact I have heard the car has some decent pep under the hood. As far as the Vista goes, I actually love it for the comfort it offers, and it might have been a default pick for us. It's just the fact that Tata have not even bothered to call me back after I had enquired about the car two weeks ago. They seem to be truly lazy.

Yes, it does have the 1.2 FIRE engine from Fiat. We had taken a test drive and trust me, that thing has superb pickup! Okay, it doesn't have outright speed or grunt, but who needs that anyway? We're just gonna be driving in the city with a rare highway trip. And I think the Vista's low-end grunt is perfectly suited to city-driving. Also, I'd like to mention here that I have met scores of petrol Vista owners, and not one of them has been unhappy with their car. They just love it, and that's what made me consider the Vista.
in that case, i would suggest Vista. Btw, u not considering Beat?
EDIT: Vista isn't really an enthusiasts car. So when it gets passed on to you, will u like the Vista?

Thread Starter #9
in that case, i would suggest Vista. Btw, u not considering Beat?
EDIT: Vista isn't really an enthusiasts car. So when it gets passed on to you, will u like the Vista?
Nope, not considering the Beat. Reasons-
1.Claustrophobic rear seats. The rear window is too narrow for my mom's liking. And the space isn't all the great either.
2.Overtly High-Set Dashboard. Not ideal for newbie drivers.
3.Previous unpleasant experience with Chevrolet Motors.

The Vista isn't an enthusiasts car agreed, but let's face it, I'd rather have a Vista than a Wagon R or even a Figo. The Vista looks far more modern than both of them and offers greater comfort too and that's what I ultimately seek [:)]

But that's where the problem is. My head says Vista, but my heart says Polo! I have just fallen in love with that car. I believe that is a small car a person will be proud to own. It a VW after all! However, if we do go for the Polo and if the spares cost a bomb, be rest assured I will be dead [cry]

Last edited:
Hmmm so if i were you even i will choose the Polo just for its sheer looks , the best looking of the list you have put up but even am not sure about the spare costs!

I will drop out WagonR and Vista only because of its looks as it is you who is going to drive after some years! And moreover i feel these cars are family cars and not suited for youths like us![;)]

And hey Figo , trust me i have seen a few Figo with alloys and they looked stunning! So if you are to buy Figo , go for a white Figo and add black colored alloyed and it will surely look great!

But anyways if i were you i will surely buy the Polo even though its a bit pricey. Even if the spares are costly i guess your dad will agree to pay as you will have bought the car and just cant dump it![;)]

If you are happy with petrol vistas performance then the figo petrol wont disappoint you. And moreover the build quality of figo is much better than vista. We have a few figo owners on board, so you can have their opinions too. Also i really wonder why punto is not on your list. Punto has the good petrol engine(same as that of vista), and looks superb.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
Hmmm so if i were you even i will choose the Polo just for its sheer looks , the best looking of the list you have put up but even am not sure about the spare costs!

I will drop out WagonR and Vista only because of its looks as it is you who is going to drive after some years! And moreover i feel these cars are family cars and not suited for youths like us![;)]

And hey Figo , trust me i have seen a few Figo with alloys and they looked stunning! So if you are to buy Figo , go for a white Figo and add black colored alloyed and it will surely look great!

But anyways if i were you i will surely buy the Polo even though its a bit pricey. Even if the spares are costly i guess your dad will agree to pay as you will have bought the car and just cant dump it![;)]
The spare costs are what i am worried about the most. And secondly the waiting list is 2 decades long! [cry] How am I supposed to wait that long? Even though the SP at VW told me that they are ramping up production so the chances of me getting a Polo by August are very much realistic. As far as colours are concerned, we have finalized one colour for each car.

1.Figo-Squeeze Green
2.Vista-Royal White/Cavern Grey (depending on availability)
3.Wagon R-Breeze Blue.
4.Polo-Red (any other colour just won't be good enough [:D] )

If you are happy with petrol vistas performance then the figo petrol wont disappoint you. And moreover the build quality of figo is much better than vista. We have a few figo owners on board, so you can have their opinions too. Also i really wonder why punto is not on your list. Punto has the good petrol engine(same as that of vista), and looks superb.
Yes, the performance of the Safire engine is adequate for our use. The Figo may have better build quality, but the Vista is by no means flimsy (except for some iffy interior plastics). We have not included the Punto as only the base variant is in our budget, and that car is quite heavy and won't be as fuel-efficient. And honestly, I don't like the car's looks.

Since you have already done the shortlisting, I think its just mind (Vista) vs heart (Polo).
My recommendation would be to go for Polo. Its just looks awsome and looks matters. Engine wise, all are more or less same. Polo's built quality is best amongst these.

Vista will certainlly give you most features at that price, spares are cheap and available. But since you are in Bombay, VW should provide you all A.S.S support.

I will not choose Figo and WagonR from this list.

Welcome Amaan. I never said Wagon R has a bad engine. I said it wasn't impressive since i have driven almost any cars that came in this segment for last 3 years.

And FIRE is a good engine, but the ASS of TATA will make you regret for it. so please stay away with these clueless guys. Go for QuadraJet if you want Vista.

The spare costs are what i am worried about the most. And secondly the waiting list is 2 decades long! [cry] How am I supposed to wait that long? Even though the SP at VW told me that they are ramping up production so the chances of me getting a Polo by August are very much realistic. As far as colours are concerned, we have finalized one colour for each car.

4.Polo-Red (any other colour just won't be good enough [:D] )
Yes. Polo has a great waiting period. But when people are waiting for a Indian Brand "Maruti" why not wait for a German brand "VW" ?

Your wait will be deifnitely worth, dont be in a hurry. stay cool & think. And Red color on Polo is the s-e-xiest of 'em all.

Congratz for your buy.

Top Bottom