Petrol Hatch - Swift or Polo? Edit: Booked Punto 90HP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Your Budget: Max 7 Lakhs

New or Used: New Car

Your Location: Bangalore

Top Five Priorities: Safety, Mileage, Power, Low Maintenance, Comfort (in that order)

Monthly Running: 500 - 1000

Type of Fuel: Petrol (Usage is less)

For What Purpose: Weekends and occasional highway drives

Seating Capacity: 4 (5 occasionally)

Type of Segment: Hatchback

Had Test driven Swift, Polo and brio.

Likes in Swift -
Like the power in the engine, very peppy
Mileage, Low maintenance

Dislikes in Swift -
Difficult for 3 persons to sit in the back
boot space
lots of swift on road and it is quite old

Likes in Polo -
QUALITY of the product(WOW)
Good and comfortable seats
good boot space

Dislikes in polo
Slow pickup
Noise of engine inside the cabin
Low resale value
Maintenance cost high?(Need more clarity on this)

Brio -
First of all i never had brio in my shortlist because of the shape and design of the car did not like it at all. but got my Colleague's car for a 5 km test drive and it is very good.

Likes in Brio -
Silk smotth driving in Banglaore's pot holed roads.
No outside world noise at all
HONDA petrol engine

Dislikes
Service cost? maintenance?
Dont like the shape of the car at all.
rear boot space. tiny car.

Am confused as hell. Please help!

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Wait for some time. Upgrades | facelift of both the polo and swift are coming. They will include cosmetic changes and few features but waiting for them will be worth it.

Brio is a great car , if you don't want to wait you can surely buy it but for some reason the sales have dropped quite drastically, not any problem with the car itself. Some say amaze is killing the sales some say other cars.

Anyways take a TD of grand i10 too.

According to your priorities, safety is better in Polo. For the rest you've answered them yourself.
Maruti Swift is cheaper to maintain while the Polo is expensive.

What about Micra and Pulse?

Thread Starter #4
Hi @AHC,
Any timeframe when both will be available?
grand i10 and xcent there is no test drive vehicle and the SA said he can bring it to my by this friday. so waiting for it.

@nikhn,
I'll be going for swift zxi which also offers ABS and airbags. so how will polo be different in safety?

I dont know if everybody knows this Polo comes with ABS and airbags standard in all variants. :):)

Any polo petrol owners can you please elaborate on the service bills for their rides?
Same for swift petrol owners i heard nowadays maruti is not that cheap to maintain.

Hi Pras,
Go for Honda Brio or wait for Jazz 2014.
The i-VTEC will not disappoint you.
The service cost and maintenance is also less and all the parts are durable, which has very good life.

Thread Starter #6
When can i expect Jazz 2014?
I also did not like the flimsy seat of the Brio :( (This is my personal opinion sorry if i hurt anyone)

Swift is definitely better then Polo. That's because the 4 cylinder K12 is efficient and responsive, refined then Polo's 1.2 MPI.
Both cars offer good Dynamics and are good to look at. The Polo is slightly feature packed and it feels more premium.
Regarding Brio, it has the best engine amongst all small cars and it is dynamically very good. Maintenance and service costs are very low.
If you don't want boot, then Brio is very good and its the cheapest car here.

Jazz is expected at the end of this year. Nov-Dec 2014

Wait for Jazz because it was the Best Hatch when it was launched in India. Apart from Lack of Diesel Engine and High Price it ticked all the boxes. Honda will price it correctly and will be available with Diesel Heart this time.

Last edited:
Sticking to your choice between the Swift Vs Polo and your Top Five Priorities: Safety, Mileage, Power, Low Maintenance, Comfort (in that order) I would recommend the Swift 'Z' variant.

Thread Starter #9
Hi Nishant5858,

Thanks for the information on the maintenance cost of Brio.
But for the on road price all three swift zxi(7 L), polo comforline (6.7 L) and Brio VX (6.65 L) is all same.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Polo facelift will come this july. And swift will come later near festive season. I'll say buy the polo after 2 months [thumbsup] service cost will be more than maruti but like you said maruti is not that cheaper to maintain as it used to.

Also, try to take a TD of grand i10 as well.

Last edited:
Sticking to your choice between the Swift Vs Polo and your Top Five Priorities: Safety, Mileage, Power, Low Maintenance, Comfort (in that order) I would recommend the Swift 'Z' variant.
If in Polo you are looking at the TSI or the GT TDI variant, Go ahaead OR else await the Polo 1.5 TDI ( upcoming).
I will not reccommend the current Petrol 1.2 (3 cyl) variant of the Polo.

Last edited:
If you are buying today -- Swift

If you can wait till Dec' 14 -- new Honda Jazz

If you can put in another ~1.5 lakhs and bargain hard (and get all sops VW providing now --3 year insurance, low interest rate) -- suggest TD the Polo TSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom