Punto 1.2 Dynamic or Polo 1.2 Comfortline

Thread Starter #1
I am rather very new to driving a car or for that matter knowledge about cars. I am still a learner(appeared for learners license [;)] ).

I am planning to buy a petrol car budget around 7 lakhs approx by next month end.
I have done some r&d and reached on the below 2 options -

Punto 1.2 petrol Dynamic -- 6 lakhs approx (on road)
Polo 1.2 petrol Comfortline - 6.6 approx (on road)

I just did a TD for Polo but that was TDI, as I am relatively very new could not find much difference handling was bit better than Swift which my driving school provided and steering was very light comparetivley. Was finding some issue adjusting to clutch and gear control.
Yet to try out Punto.

My main use will be city driving mostly once I am confident then daily running might be 20 km and ocassionaly some short trips on highway.

Plz help me decide as I am more concerned about Polo's high maintenance cost and A.S.S on the other hand I have heard not very good reviews of Punto's A.S.S also along with re-sale value but maintenance cost being on lower side as parts are less expensive.

Also, Polo Dealer told at times parts can take 40 days to arrive from Pune(am residing in Bangalore) [confused]

Punto is too old now and the petrol engine is not good. Same with 3 cyl Polo, although it is very good car. If you want petrol car then my pick would be Brio or Swift. If you want sedan, you have Amaze, Xcent, Dzire.

Among the two cars you've mentioned, I would vote for the Polo. Both are good looking cars with good driving dynamics. Polo petrol sells in decent numbers and is a solidly machine overall where as the Punto petrol hardly sells any unit. A.S.S will be expensive with VW but since you are going for Petrol variant, VW provides customers with AMC i.e Annual maintenance contract for first three years where you don't have to shell out any extra money during the services and for any other maintenance related issue. Check with your VW dealer if you could get a good offer regarding the AMC.

Another car you should add to you list is, Hyundai Grand i10. The petrol engine is peppy to push around and is fairly easy to drive in the city coupled with nice looking interiors as well as exteriors and tons of fancy gizmos. Hyundai's A.S.S is also a little better rated.

Do test drive the above vehicles and see for yourself in which one you are more comfortable driving around.

I am rather very new to driving a car or for that matter knowledge about cars. I am still a learner(appeared for learners license [;)] ).

I am planning to buy a petrol car budget around 7 lakhs approx by next month end.
I have done some r&d and reached on the below 2 options -

Punto 1.2 petrol Dynamic -- 6 lakhs approx (on road)
Polo 1.2 petrol Comfortline - 6.6 approx (on road)
Petrol !!! It should be a Honda. Both the cars in your list have a very good diesel mill. If polo, then TSI is good. But that will not fit in your budget. If you are OK with the looks and boot of the brio. TD it. That should be the one, may be. There are many facelifts and launches happening this year. Wait if you could [:)]

If you are looking for Punto wait for this year end, Punto face lift will be available soon.
As far as this segment is concerned SWIFT is the dominating car. TD new Swift and you will feel the difference. If you are more concerned with luxury features go for Hyundai i20.

Brio as compared to SWIFT/POLO/PUNTO/i20 struggles little bit on comfort/space/Seats/rear head room.

Still Punto is great car to have in your garage. POLO TSI is good one among all other variants, but the price may overshoot your budget.

TD Renault Pulse for your satisfaction and decision clarity.

Thread Starter #6
Punto is too old now and the petrol engine is not good. Same with 3 cyl Polo, although it is very good car. If you want petrol car then my pick would be Brio or Swift. If you want sedan, you have Amaze, Xcent, Dzire.
Thanks for the insight. Even I was a bit curious that I don't see many petrol 1.2 Punto around, all are generally Emotion variant that is petrol 1.4 and diesel mostly.

For me brio is not that spacious as I am close to 6 ft and swift for me is boring as it is too common, may be VFM is highest and maruti A.S.S is also best I would say.

Among the two cars you've mentioned, I would vote for the Polo. Both are good looking cars with good driving dynamics. Polo petrol sells in decent numbers and is a solidly machine overall where as the Punto petrol hardly sells any unit. A.S.S will be expensive with VW but since you are going for Petrol variant, VW provides customers with AMC i.e Annual maintenance contract for first three years where you don't have to shell out any extra money during the services and for any other maintenance related issue. Check with your VW dealer if you could get a good offer regarding the AMC.

Another car you should add to you list is, Hyundai Grand i10. The petrol engine is peppy to push around and is fairly easy to drive in the city coupled with nice looking interiors as well as exteriors and tons of fancy gizmos. Hyundai's A.S.S is also a little better rated.

Do test drive the above vehicles and see for yourself in which one you are more comfortable driving around.
I am convinced about Polo only apprehension I have is maintenance cost and parts availability as it is only assembled in Pune.

Will definetly TD i10 grand but Polo is bigger in terms of space but hyundai A.S.S is far better that VW.

My head goes out to i10/120 but heart tells Polo.[:)]
I still have time on hand so will keep looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are looking for Punto wait for this year end, Punto face lift will be available soon. As far as this segment is concerned SWIFT is the dominating car. TD new Swift and you will feel the difference. If you are more concerned with luxury features go for Hyundai i20. Brio as compared to SWIFT/POLO/PUNTO/i20 struggles little bit on comfort/space/Seats/rear head room. Still Punto is great car to have in your garage. POLO TSI is good one among all other variants, but the price may overshoot your budget. TD Renault Pulse for your satisfaction and decision clarity.
Completely disagree with you buddy..!! I am telling this because we have owned every car you have mentioned apart from Punto.
Brio has best Engine followed by Swift, i20, Polo, Punto.
Brio is spacious then Swift, i20, Polo, Punto. Brio has better seats then i20, Polo, Punto. Swift has best seats.
Rear headroom is not a problem in Brio if person height is below 6"2' ( I am 6"1' Boot Space is smallest among all cars here.
Honda's "Man Maximum, Machine Minimum" philosophy has used fully.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
Completely disagree with you buddy..!! I am telling this because we have owned every car you have mentioned apart from Punto.
Brio is spacious then Swift, i20, Polo, Punto. Brio has better seats then i20, Polo, Punto. Swift has best seats.
Rear headroom is not a problem in Brio if person height is below 6"2' ( I am 6"1' Boot Space is smallest among all cars here.
For me looks matter and looks are subjective. I don't like Brio shape as such and boot space definetly less is also a concern.

Last edited:
Add me to that list. Another satisfied Brio owner who is 6'2''. The engine of the car will just make you overlook everything. The best engine easily by some margin. It is a complete driver's car. But yeah. Looks are completely subjective. If your heart says you cannot live with it. Listen. Its your heart and money afterall [;)]

Last edited:
I am convinced about Polo only apprehension I have is maintenance cost and parts availability as it is only assembled in Pune.

Will definetly TD i10 grand but Polo is bigger in terms of space but hyundai A.S.S is far better that VW.

I still have time on hand so will keep looking.
Well do try to negotiate about the AMC package with the dealer if you do intend to book a Polo petrol. This will give you a tension-free ownership and you won't have to worry about expensive service bills, etc. I was in a similar dilemma a couple of years back when I was looking for a car for myself. Everyone in the family and friends were suggesting to go for Hyundai i20 but my heart was set on the Polo from day 1 and I went ahead and got the same. Fortunately, Its been over 2 years now and there hasn't been a single day till now where I've had to regret my decision.

Regarding part availability, VW workshops have had a few incidents where the parts have taken almost 1 month to reach. But that was during the early days, now they've expanded their network. I'm sure there must be 4-5 workshops in Bangalore itself and they would be keeping parts in stock. But I guess you'll have to locate a good workshop and maintain a good relationship with them in-case a need comes up. They are all lazy folks at the service centres and you really have to push them, let it be of any manufacturer/company.

Saying that its manufactured in Pune and you won't get its part in Bangalore is going a little overboard. I'm sitting even more far from Pune at Chandigarh, I guess I should be even more worried than you .[;)]

Thread Starter #11
Well do try to negotiate about the AMC package with the dealer if you do intend to book a Polo petrol.
Saying that its manufactured in Pune and you won't get its part in Bangalore is going a little overboard. I'm sitting even more far from Pune at Chandigarh, I guess I should be even more worried than you .[;)]
Thanks a lot for the advice dude. Really help me to think with a clear mind now.
Will definitely bargain for a good deal for AMC. Can you plz share more details on this(AMC).

AMC is basically a maintenance contract in which you pay some money upfront or if you can bargain and get it for 50% price during the booking itself. The jinx of it is that you don't have to pay for any single regular repair or service during the period your car is under the AMC scheme. Its mostly for first 3 years provided by VW and that too just for petrol cars, the offer is not valid on diesel vehicles. Like I have a diesel Polo and I would be spending close to 30-32k in total on my 3 regular annual services in the span of 3 years. For petrol cars, the service cost is slightly less but still. You could save that amount if you have the AMC package. So in case you do proceed to go for a Polo petrol, it would be absolutely worthy to spend a few extra bucks upfornt for AMC or even better if you could bargain with your dealer to get it at half the price.

Yes, ASS from Hyundai is almost at par with Maruti and VW is not even in picture, though they have improved over these years.
Polo is good car but seats are positioned very low and ingress is not easy either, so you need to bend more while entering. Fit and finish of interior is very good in Polo but so is in Grand i10, only difference being the one in Grand i10 looks more up market!
For features no comparison absolutely, Grand i10 rocks.

Thread Starter #14
AMC is basically a maintenance contract in which you pay some money upfront or if you can bargain and get it for 50% price during the booking itself. The jinx of it is that you don't have to pay for any single regular repair or service during the period your car is under the AMC scheme. Its mostly for first 3 years provided by VW and that too just for petrol cars, the offer is not valid on diesel vehicles. Like I have a diesel Polo and I would be spending close to 30-32k in total on my 3 regular annual services in the span of 3 years. For petrol cars, the service cost is slightly less but still. You could save that amount if you have the AMC package. So in case you do proceed to go for a Polo petrol, it would be absolutely worthy to spend a few extra bucks upfornt for AMC or even better if you could bargain with your dealer to get it at half the price.
Thanks GM88 for the info.

Yes, ASS from Hyundai is almost at par with Maruti and VW is not even in picture, though they have improved over these years.
Polo is good car but seats are positioned very low and ingress is not easy either, so you need to bend more while entering. Fit and finish of interior is very good in Polo but so is in Grand i10, only difference being the one in Grand i10 looks more up market!
For features no comparison absolutely, Grand i10 rocks.
Guys want to know how about engine performance[petrol] and overall built of
i10 grand VS Polo.
Also, anyone throw some light on music system in polo also I noticed during my TD the AC makes more noise as compared to any other cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Newman

Hey man! I am also planning to buy Polo 1.2P (Comfortline) and as someone has suggested, AMC sounds like a must have for Polo. Do share your experience on the AMC deal. Also, which VW showroom in Bangalore are you considering?

Top Bottom