Need Suggestions For Buying a New Car !!!

Thread Starter #1
History :

I bought Alto k10 vxi 2011 model and now I need a change for a best safety car, best mileage, best look, best fetures(airbags, crash test pass, abs). So I have planned to buy a new car with a max budget of 6.5 lacs. So the cars in my mind are as follows,

1. Maruthi suzuki swift
2. Volkswagen Polo
3. Ford fiesta classic
4. Huyndai I20

so, let some gurus and experts in this forum throw some light and guide me along the way.

Last edited:
Re: Need suggestion for new car !!!

History :

I bought Alto k10 vxi 2011 model and now I need a change for a best safety car, best mileage, best look, best fetures(airbags, crash test pass, abs). So I have planned to buy a new car with a max budget of 6.5 lacs. So the cars in my mind are as follows,

1. Maruthi suzuki swift
2. Volkswagen Polo
3. Ford fiesta classic
4. Huyndai I20

so, let some gurus and experts in this forum throw some light and guide me along the way.
Hi Ananth,
Ford Fiesta Classic is too old now hence you can strike it out from youre list, although its a fantastic car. Maruti Swift is good and is perfectly suited to you. Interiors are slightly cramped.
VW Polo is also very good car with Brilliant Dynamics, but the 1.2 L Petrol and Diesel engines are underpowered. 1.6 is much better but it'll not fall in you're budget. Hyundai i20 is stylish, loaded with features and its diesel engine is good, but bear in mind that there will be new i20 expected to be launched later this year.

If you're ready to wait then New i20, Honda Jazz are the cars expected later this year. If you want compact sedans, there is Amaze, Xcent, Dzire. Amaze and Xcent are very good. If you want diesel, Amaze is good. If you want petrol, both are good.

if you are looking for a diesel car, go for swift and swift dzire. if you have to choose petrol go for honda brio. fiesta is the perfect driver's car if you can bare ford's costly service and it's a outdated model.

Cars you mentioned will come under premium hatch back segment except classic, which is a good old sedan from Ford may be production stopped within this year. All these hacthbacks have most of the safety equipments available in topend variant and if you are considering diesel models, you should have to extend your budget minimum 50 K to 150k Rs. Other options are
1. Beat LT
2. Ritz Zxi /Zdi
3. ford Figo
4. Nissan Micra/renault pulse
5. Etios Liva

Please specify the choice of fuel your looking for in your new car. Is it Petrol or Diesel? \

Regarding safety features, almost all top end variants of the cars you mentioned come with Dual front Airbags & ABS. NCAP Crash test ratings for Indian manufactured Swift will be out this month. VW Polo got 4 star rating for the variant which had dual front Airbags which is pretty good.

Regarding looks of the car, well they are subjective and the choice will differ from person to person. All three hatchbacks you've mentioned are quite good looking cars and it all depends which one you've got your heart on.

Feature wise the Hyundai i20 trumps the competition with a few extra features on the top end variant such as DRL's, Reversing camera with display on the IRVM, Electric folding ORVM's,etc.

Thread Starter #8
Please specify the choice of fuel your looking for in your new car. Is it Petrol or Diesel? \

Regarding safety features, almost all top end variants of the cars you mentioned come with Dual front Airbags & ABS. NCAP Crash test ratings for Indian manufactured Swift will be out this month. VW Polo got 4 star rating for the variant which had dual front Airbags which is pretty good.

Regarding looks of the car, well they are subjective and the choice will differ from person to person. All three hatchbacks you've mentioned are quite good looking cars and it all depends which one you've got your heart on.

Feature wise the Hyundai i20 trumps the competition with a few extra features on the top end variant such as DRL's, Reversing camera with display on the IRVM, Electric folding ORVM's,etc.
Hello GM88,

I would like to prefer the petrol variant. Just went a test drive for swift zxi and the driving made quite peppy. I have big confusion also I have a place for I20 too in my heart. But in some recent pages and reviews heard that having some steering issue with i20. So can some one suggest on that to decide.

The facelifted VW Polo with new engine and new Hyundai i20 will also be launching soon.
Also, the Swift facelift with more equipment could be coming.
I suggest you to wait for some more time sir.

Thread Starter #11
The facelifted VW Polo with new engine and new Hyundai i20 will also be launching soon.
Also, the Swift facelift with more equipment could be coming.
I suggest you to wait for some more time sir.
Hello DJ bro,

Yes I am now in complete dilemma to proceed further. I have planned to change to a new car the main reason is due to on account of my marriage on june1st. So before that had a thought of changing it. So I am now in silent mode due to the strength vitamin "M" (Money). Let me sit and wait for some new rivals post this july hopefully to decide.

Thanks all for helping me and giving in suggestion to my request. Hope I would like to keep this thread alive to discuss regarding the new models and to decide in future, hope that should not be long..

Thread Starter #12
On Hunting,

I was quite very much impressed with I20(Asta) interiors and it features almost at the same cost of swift zxi. If there is no steering issue which most of TAI members discussing in the new model that will make my mind to go beyond I20 without any second thought..

On Hunting,

I was quite very much impressed with I20(Asta) interiors and it features almost at the same cost of swift zxi. If there is no steering issue which most of TAI members discussing in the new model that will make my mind to go beyond I20 without any second thought..
i20 Petrol is a big disappointment in terms of Performance and Mileage. Though Diesel is good, if you want. Why buy car just going by looks and features ? Swift Petrol is better then i20 Petrol. You can wait for Jazz if you want.

@nishant +10 to that.

@ Ananth- We were in a similar situation when we had plans for the petrol car. I used to like the i20 too. But when i TD'ed it,I was conveyed a message of something like the engine was crying. Absolutely no power. Sadly, had to drop it from my list then and there. I had written a slip in the suggestion box at dealer's place please tell the management to give a better petrol engine[anger]

Top Bottom