New Car Buy - Compact Sedan or Premium Hatchback?

Thread Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am contemplating to repace our 2011 WagonR which has run 17000kms and is used by Sister. She is very sedate driver, she is happy with it. Now she being a lady, doesn't mean restriction to Automatic Transmission cars, she likes manual cars. Now she mainly uses it for City Driving. Hence a bigger car is not essential.

Apart from Ease of Use, Fuel Efficiency, Space, Looks are also required. So i have presently choosen 4 options, they are

1. HONDA AMAZE
2. HYUNDAI XCENT
3. HONDA JAZZ
4. HYUNDAI i20

Now 1,2 are available and 3 is still yet to come, 4 is available, but the current iGen i20 is not considered, while the 2014 i20 expected later this year has been considered.

So, please everyone feel free to express you're opinions, views. I will be waiting for Jazz, i20 to get launched.

Thread Starter #5
If u need petrol engine go with xcent,
if diesel go with amaze
You have read my mind.!!
If petrol, Xcent and if Diesel, Amaze. Petrol Amaze has same 1.2 L engine from Brio, i already have a Brio. Thought about Grand i10 Petrol but Xcent also has boot.

The diesel Amaze though powerful, is quite a noisy one.
The petrol will be a better option though.
The Xcent can be considered if more comfort and quality, value is needed.
But, if no need of a big car, better stick to hatchbacks.
The Celerio AMT is a great city car.

Thread Starter #8
@DJBro
Amaze diesel is good, noise is lesser on 2014 versions compared to 2013 versions. No Amaze petrol as i already have Brio. Xcent is good, Equipment and Interior Design is segment best, but Amaze is spacious then Xcent and also is much powerful, more efficient then Xcent Diesel. Xcent Petrol is already considered but low mileage of that 1.2 Kappa Engine is worrying me.

No Celerio as its a Maruti, we have owned many Maruti cars before and not interested in it. Automatic is also a BIG no.

Well If you have to go with a Petrol than i would place Amaze over Xcent and if diesel than Xcent over Amaze.

In petrol Honda engines are great but diesel Hyundai engines are more proven and have been in the market for a while. It's not that Honda diesel is not good. But comparatively Hyundai has a upper hand in diesel same way Honda in petrol.

I have recently purchased a petrol Xcent (Top) Model and its full value for money. It has got all the comfort , features and peppier engine.

Thread Starter #11
I have recently purchased a petrol Xcent (Top) Model and its full value for money. It has got all the comfort , features and peppier engine.

Ya, that's why i have considered Xcent too, this and the Grand i10 have impressed me a lot among all the Hyundai's.

Well If you have to go with a Petrol than i would place Amaze over Xcent and if diesel than Xcent over Amaze.

In petrol Honda engines are great but diesel Hyundai engines are more proven and have been in the market for a while. It's not that Honda diesel is not good. But comparatively Hyundai has a upper hand in diesel same way Honda in petrol.
Honda diesel engines were launched 1 year ago but not many complaints about the engine except the NVH levels related to insulation.
Their AMAZE and HONDA CITY are already on top in the sales charts.

Thread Starter #13
Had a brief Look & Test Drive of the Elite i20 last Saturday.

First saw the car thoroughly inside out. The things which impressed me are
1. Looks Elegant and will impress person of all ages
2. Car looks longer then old car but is shorter.
3. Bright colors look pleasing compared to sober colors.
4. Interiors are again plush and not too trendy
5. Fit & Finish is good throughout and plastics have good feel to them
6. Seats are more supportive (Front & Rear)
7. Boot space is good again like the old car
8. Tail lamps have attractive LEDs in them.

Things which disappointed me
1. Window line is higher, short persons will not like it.
2. Rear seat space especially if tall persons are in front
3. Rear AC vents are useless IMO, since they get blocked when 3rd passenger is sitting
4. No soft touch plastics

After seeing it, I asked for Test Drive and the SE was very prompt in answering my questions. Test Drive car came and off we went.

As soon as we stepped inside car, AC was set for full speed with Recirulation on. It was Hot outside. The engine is barely audible, After iVTEC & K Series engines, this might be the most refined engine. I haven't Test Driven Polo GT TSI though.
Gearshifts are smooth and slick and need very less effort to shift. Clutch is light as is the steering. Car pulls well once you pass 1300-1500 rpm, post 3000rpm the car will struggle to maintain speed if gear isn't changed. Keeping it in the boil will make the most of this engine. It isn't as free revving as K series or iVTEC though. Drove for around 6 kms on rough & smooth roads and the ride quality is good. Handling though improved over earlier car isn't in the league of Polo, Figo.
So then, Initial Impressions are good and I like it much compared to earlier version. But, I will wait for Honda to launch Jazz and then decide.

Thread Starter #15
What about Zest? You have petrol and Diesel options as well.
Sorry to say this, Not interested in Tata Cars, although Zest is very good. Brand Image is the reason why we are not interested. Though I will recommend Zest to others who are looking for Compact Sedans.

Top Bottom