Which Sedan to Buy???

Thread Starter #1
Dear members ,

i am wishing to buy a sedan range(6-8lac). though there are many options available but i am confused which car to buy?

my requirement is that car should last easily for around 10 years with 10,000 km per month.

i am listing some cars which suits my requirement(all are petrol, base model), now please guide which is the best of the lot. is there any new model coming soon? i can wait upto 1 year for that if any/

i stay in delhi.

car name EX Price onroad price power

maruti sx4 - 685000 lac - 740000 lac 105bhp

hyundai accent-500000 lac - 546000 lac 95bhp

hyundai verna - 655000 lac - 715000 lac 103bhp

hyundai i20 450000 lac - 494000 lac 80bhp

chevy aveo 610000 lac - 662773lac 95bhp

honda city 813000 lac - 877000 lac 118 bhp

swift dzire 482000 lac - 523000 lac 85bhp

fiat linea 634000 lac - 692000 lac 90bhp

ford fiesta 623000 lac - 680000 lac 101bhp

currently i am owning wagonr, would it be sensible to upgrade to new wagonr?

Please Help.

350Z

Core Team
Hey Anmol, Welcome to TAI and glad to have another Delhi'te on board. First of all, Could you please answer some questions which are asked in following thread (Looking to buy a car? (Must Read)) It'd greatly help us to point you towards perfect purchase. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Anmol, first you must decide whether you want to go for a sedan or a hatchback. Also have a look at the thread mentioned by 350Z and reply soon.

Thread Starter #4
Your Budget
it will be in 6-8 lac(can be stretched to +- 1 lac)

- Your Location?
delhi,

- Top 5 Priorities
Life(atleast 10 years), Technology, Value for money, Service and spares, looks

- Monthly Running?
10,000 KM

- For Which Purpose?
basically for office commuting

- Max. Seating Capacity

- Priority of Fuel Type
Petrol, CNG(can be fitted afterward)

- Body Type
sedan, i20 only the last option if anyother car doesn't fit in bracket

350Z

Core Team
Anmol, Running of 10,000 Kms per month is a lot, So why are you considering the Petrol at first? In long term with that much of running, Diesel will pay you off. I’m listing some of the top sedans in diesel within the budget of Rs.8 Lakhs which must be considered.

• Maruti Suzuki dZire ZDi (Price: Rs.7,01,601)
  • Tata Indigo Manza Aura+ Safire (Price: Rs.6,09,623)
  • Fiat Linea Emotion MJD (Price: Rs. 8,03,542)
  • Ford Fiesta 1.6 S Duratec (Price: Rs.7,29,000)
(*Ex. Showroom Delhi)

If Maruti SX4 was available in diesel, I'd have simply advised to go for it but since it is not, From the requirements you told us, The above mentioned cars currently are the best option. The first two mentioned cars belong a segment below where as the rest two are placed above and so their maintenance costs too rise to a marginal level. Among the first two, Keeping in mind the 10 Year use, You should opt for the Maruti Suzuki dZire if its looks are not a concern, but on the other hand, Manza is most feature laden but not the best for when it comes to long-term point. Also, Maza's rear looks are not something to write home about. Now, speaking about the other two cars - Fiat Linea and Ford Fiesta. Linea will be my pick right away but this is purely a personal choice, So you will need to Test out both the cars and decide yourself. In Linea, You get the most bang for the buck than in any car in the segment where as Fiesta offers the best of the driving pleasure and looks sporty as well. After Sales is equal of both the brands, neither too good nor too bad. But if you are looking in this price range, I'd highly recommend opting one of these models. Else, If you would like to wait for sometime more, Then Volkswagen Vento and Toyota Etios are coming up in July and December respectively. However, As for now, There's no news whether Diesel Engine will be available or not. Leaving you with some useful related Links:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Yes 10K km per month is huge drive. Petrol doesn't make any sense. But if its 10K km yearly, Petrol is certainly an option.

Based on your priorities -
Life(atleast 10 years) - All,
Technology - Linea,
Value for money - Dzire and Manza,
Service and spares - Dzire and Manza,
Looks - Linea

I would say Linea for following reasons.

1. Strong Built hence car would last longer.
2. 1 year/15000 km service interval maximum for any car.
3. Amazing drivability and great mileage for its size and power.
4. Loaded to the grills. (Even emotion has ACC,ABS,EBD,Rear Sun Blind,Rear AC vents etc.)
5. Looks to die for.
6. Technology.
7. Spacious and comfortable.

P.S.--> Fiesta 1.6 S is petrol not diesel.

Thread Starter #8
i am not considering diesel as i want quieter cabin and less trips to service station, so i am sticking to petrol only.my driving would be in city most of the time. also with prices rising now a days there wont be much difference b/w petrol and diesel.

kindly help me to sort the best car from the list i gave.

350Z

Core Team
This is twenty first century and gone are those days when diesel cars made noise equal to a tractor. In most of the latest diesel engines, You'll barely notice any difference in noise when compared to their petrol counterpart, additionally, there's a sound deadening material attached under their hoods which helps and after all this is not just about the noise but the high monthly usage you have. Anyways, In either of the cases, Personally, I'd pick Linea or in the lower segment, It has to be the dZire. You should first take an extensive Test drive of all the cars before reaching to a conclusion.

Drive Safe,
350Z

From the list you have mentioned i would suggest you to go for SX4, City or Linea. All the 3 of them have their own advantages and disadvantages.
SX4- Not really great fuel efficiency figures. Rear seats are not very comfortable. The major advantage is that its a maruti, so is easier to maintain.
City- A bit pricey and less on features which many of its rivals have on their top end versions. Eg- climate control ac. Maintenance pricier than some of its rivals. But you get advantage of great fuel efficiency, quality interiors. Also you get airbags and ABS as standard even on the base model.
Linea- known for having an underpowered heart. But the most adorable new entrant sedan. Looks really great and has decent interiors.
All the above are my personal opinions. Better idea would be to td all the 3 of them and then follow what your heart says.

350Z

Core Team
If it is Petrol then no doubt, SX4 leads when it comes to long term reliability and peace of mind but I would still not recommend a Petrol for that much of usage.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Even i recommend a diesel. 10k/month is a lot of mileage. And current diesel cars are a lot refined. The most common eg being swift diesel.

Since you need a petrol, out of the cars you have listed, i would select the i20. since you would be using the car for office commutes, you dont really need a boot. so in the i20, you get a spacious cabin & hyundai's A.S.S & resale value is good too.

apart from the i20, i would like to have the fiesta 1.6, simply because its great fun to drive!

Fiesta already looks dated, and Anmol wants to keep the car for another 10years. Thats why i didnt suggest the ford.

Top Bottom