New CNG Hatchback: i10 or Wagon-R or Others?

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,
Been doing a lot of reading. below are my requirements:

Budget: 5 lacs - Max 5.5 lacs
New or Used: new
Your Location: Mumbai/Thane
Top Five Priorities: CNG, Fuel Economy, Comfort, Maintenance, Looks
Monthly Running: (Eg: 800 - 1,000 Kms)
Type of Fuel: CNG
For What Purpose: Daily office use 35kms to and fro + occasional long weekend drives
Seating Capacity: 4
Type of Segment: Hatchback

Options :
1) Wagon R (LXI CNG) - no brainer but dont like the looks (no offence please)
2) Hyundai i10 (1.1 - Sports) - my preference

Concerns with i10 [confused]
1) Mileage - not so good feedback on mileage, not sure if they are to do with the 1.1 engine or 1.2 engine. For now oly 1.1 is available
2) Dealer fitted CNG: although the company warranty will remain, but what abou the rear shock absorbers? will they be able to bear the weight when fully loaded with 4-5 passengers. Wagon R provides a different type of suspention on the CNG model.
3) Availablity and value - with the advent of grand i10, will Hyundai discontinue i10? they have already removed the i10 Asta, 1.2 and AT models from the i10 lineup. only available are 1.1 in Era, Magna & Sports

There are limited choices in CNG, by default its Wagon R, but dont like the looks a bit (no offence please).
The other alternative is Hyundai i10 (1.1) where company warranty would be honoured.

I am more inclined towards i10, but somehow not finding enough reviews of its performance. Also i have read about concerns about its mileage, not sure if its with the 1.1 engine or with the 1.2 engine which is now discontinued in i10.

Please help [roll][confused]

Hey, have a look at below points :

1. The only problem with CNG is that after every 180-220 odd kms, you will have to get the tank filled with CNG. With 35 kms running, that means almost every 5th day, you will be at CNG bunk.
2. Eventually ZERO boot at the space will be taken by CNG Tank and the spare tyre, so highway drive may not be that adventurous.
3. I feel it's because of elections, CNG Prices are low and once new govt. comes in, it's bound to go high killing the "not so expensive" fuel tag.
4. Last but not the least, it's no fun driving a CNG Car. I mean it kills the pick up and forget the pick up when the AC is on. I'm doing a car pooling where every alternate day I'm picked up in factory fitted CNG Wagon R and I've felt it.

Though other fuel prices will also rise however I personally feels it's better to go for diesel, even if it's "pre-worshiped". In new car, choices are less but worth trying once. A bit of effort is required to hunt for pre-worshiped diesel cae however it'll be fruitful in near & long term basis. That's my 0.02 Cents thought.

All the best [:)]

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
I completely agree with mashy on all his points.
You can get beat diesel in your budget.

If not diesel, then in cng company fitted is always better. But i'll tell you this i10 won't have mileage problems in cng. It'd be more likely the same as wagonR.

Cng will cost you 2-3 rs per kilometer, diesel will cost you around 4rs per km.

Service of both cars will be similar. My frnd has wagonR with company fitted cng and it costs him 5000 rs for every service from maruti because they use synthetic oil which is expensive. Diesel service will cost you 4k-5k. Don't know about i10 cng.

If you can go for diesel look for a car.

If cng, company fitted is always recommended but dealer fitted itslef is not bad. Don't think too much, if your heart says i10 go for it. Interiors are much much better than the wagonR and performance and mileage is not a problem.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
Thank you so much for your inputs. yes if i consider deisel, the options open a lot, but i read a lot of people saying that diesel is worth if your daily running is more than 50km or monthly running of 1400kms.. thats pretty much double of my expected usage.

Plus diesel car will overshoot my budget by a lot (atleast 1 lac - lower to middle end model) and return of investment (deisel) would be longer.

Any folks who have or their close friends/relatives have the Hyundai i10 1.0 CNG installed? whats the feedback?

I guess, In CNG i am pretty much limited to 2 choices wagonR or i10 (not considering Santro, Eon). please share if anyone has any other options in mind.

thanks in advance.

I would suggest to go with CNG.
The cost of running even after increase of price after elections will be around 2 only
Mileage of Wagon R CNG is around 25 with AC so even the CNG price reaches to 50 after election it will be 2 only.
Beat Diesel is good option too,but the extra investment at the beginning to be considered based on the monthly travel so as to understand how many KMs to be run before the extra cost can be recovered.

Top Bottom