What Car Under Rs.14 Lac Budget? Please Suggest.

Thread Starter #1
hello guys , my family is planning to buy a new car under 13-14.5 lacs budget in the coming 6-7 months . The main reason for buying is that my daily running is 50 km now and our humble 800 we own has been showing sings of ageing since long time.

iam looking for a car with good leg room in rear seat and ride quality.
here are my preferences(1-5 rating)
Comfort = 4 * - should be comfortable with 4 persons on board . most of family trips will be in city only . ride quality should be good too[:)]
Space = 5 * - this area is some thing which i dont want to compromise( another reason for buying) im 6'2" so is my dad and brother . the legroom must be good not cramped in both rows( front and rear).
Reliability = well since we own maruti 800 which has good A$$ we want something with good reliability and after sales.
Safety = since most of running is in city , minimum requirements like airbags and ABS are mandatory .
Fuel type = diesel only.
Body type = since we already have hatchback we are looking for sedan or suv segment.

so far i have checked verna fluidic , storme and xuv 500 but did not have TD , if there is any other car that comes under the above budget please let me know[:)].

Last edited:
Hi
Do check Chevrolet cruze .If you can wait ,then wait to Corolla . Do not forget beloved New Honda City .

XUV can be considered as It has long space in middle seats but mainly for highways usage .

Ankit

Last edited:
You can check out the Maruti Ertiga since it is hugely flexible and has Limo comfort if the 2nd row is slid all the way backwards.
Highway performance of the diesel is awesome, but has some lag before turbo kicks in at 2000rpm.
You can also have the additional flexibility of carrying more 2/3 passengers if needed.

Since you have an ample budget and given the fact you and your family members are quite tall, you should look in the SUV territory. Sedans won't be able to provide you with that much head and leg room as compared to a full blown SUV. Though there is one drawback to that, Fuel efficiency in SUV's would surely be lower as compared to the similarly priced sedan.

XUV500 and Tata Safari Storme seem to be right in the budget and to be fairly clicking most of the boxes. Renault Duster would fit in the budget as well and will give you better FE than the above two, but maintenance could be a tad higher for the Renault.

If you want a spacious sedan, go check out the new Honda City diesel. Its quite spacious from inside, though headroom maybe of a little concern for you. It will be easy on pocket to run as its FE will surely be considerably higher than the likes of XUV500 or Storme and comes with the coveted Honda's After sales service. Do test drive all of these cars and decide which suits your requirements the best.

Thread Starter #6
hey guys thanks for your inputs.
Hi
If you can wait ,then wait to Corolla . Do not forget beloved New Honda City .
Ankit
Is that face lifted corolla you are talking about? When is it going to be launched
You can check out the Maruti Ertiga since it is hugely flexible
Yes i did check ertiga today. this car is peace of mind with strong A$$.
Sedans won't be able to provide you with that much head and leg room as compared to a full blown SUV.
Yes GM88 its true (some are exception though) . FE need not be astonishingly high but should be decent enough[:)]. most of the driving will be in city itself where sedan or suv will have + or - 2kmpl difference that's it.

i have also found that ertiga & xuv 500 have same width , but xuv is taller than ertiga. Similarly storme has good riding position (also taller than xuv) but misses the reclining 2nd row seats ( i was not informed storme has reclining seats owners please correct if wrong). The head room was same in xuv and storme though .
also i was told tata has revised storme prices (read slashed down) and removed ABS & EBD in lx & vx variants and the alpine head unit will not be available in any variant . one has to purchase a kit accessory which is worth 60k
Iam really confused why a manufacturer cant adopt a feature that other competents have. If one is good at something it misses some other thing.

Is that face lifted corolla you are talking about? When is it going to be launched
Yes ,I am talking of facelift .It is going to launch on 27 May or around .Check Autocar Review of facelifted Corolla .

hello guys , my family is planning to buy a new car under 13-14.5 lacs budget in the coming 6-7 months . The main reason for buying is that my daily running is 50 km now and our humble 800 we own has been showing sings of ageing since long time.

iam looking for a car with good leg room in rear seat and ride quality.
here are my preferences(1-5 rating)
Comfort = 4 * - should be comfortable with 4 persons on board . most of family trips will be in city only . ride quality should be good too[:)]
Space = 5 * - this area is some thing which i dont want to compromise( another reason for buying) im 6'2" so is my dad and brother . the legroom must be good not cramped in both rows( front and rear).
Reliability = well since we own maruti 800 which has good A$$ we want something with good reliability and after sales.
Safety = since most of running is in city , minimum requirements like airbags and ABS are mandatory .
Fuel type = diesel only.
Body type = since we already have hatchback we are looking for sedan or suv segment.

so far i have checked verna fluidic , storme and xuv 500 but did not have TD , if there is any other car that comes under the above budget please let me know[:)].
Looking at your requirements with the given budget i would say look for:
1. XUV 500
2. Storme
3. Terrano
4. New City

With 6'2'' height i would recommend you going with a SUV since you have the required budget as well.

Yes ,I am talking of facelift .It is going to launch on 27 May or around .Check Autocar Review of facelifted Corolla .
I don't think buddy that the new corolla will come under this budget and even if it manage to come it would be the base model. And spending 14-15 lacs on a base model is something i won't do but then it's my personal opinion. [;)]

You can check out the Maruti Ertiga since it is hugely flexible and has Limo comfort if the 2nd row is slid all the way backwards.
Highway performance of the diesel is awesome, but has some lag before turbo kicks in at 2000rpm.
You can also have the additional flexibility of carrying more 2/3 passengers if needed.
Ertiga is very good choice. The only problem arise when third row seat is folded for luggage, the leg room in second row is reduced.

At this budget there are lot many choice for you to choose from different category of vehicle.
If you are family of 4 or 5 then,

MPV :
MS Ertiga
Nissan Evalia

Compact SUV :
Nissan Terrano
Renault Duster
Ford Eco-Sports

Sedan/Saloon :
Skoda Rapid
VW Vento
Ford Fiesta Classic
TM Manza
Nissan Sunny
Renault Scala

My suggestion is you have ample of time to think you needs and then plan accordingly.
But still if you you ask me then below are my preference,

Ford Eco-Sports
MS Ertiga
Ford Fiesta Classic
Skoda Rapid
VW Vento
Renault Scala

If you plan to extend your budget a little then you can get a crossover "ARIA". Take a TD at any Tata showroom, you will love the luxury of the car.

Sicne your family is a tall family, the newer cars have a big dashboard where in you need to cramped and sit.

So in older 800 you could sit comfortably however, if you check the likes of swift and dezire, the space is not that much. Thanks to the enlarged dashboard.

Most of the cars now have this kind of large dash board.

What I feel the cars that would you like is

1. Storme
2. XUV
3. Aria 2014 (yes its Aria that i have mentioned.) Its a great car though the numbers are not much. I would advice you to TD once before rejecting it.
4. Innova
5. You could also try for Honda City
6. Terrano, Duster
7. Sunny

Choose Terrano if you do a lot of driving over rough roads. Else it has to be new City topend. Next would be XUV500 since you do a lot of city driving then I would suggest you to consider the easiness of parking too hence its second on my list.

There are lot of cars in your budget.

In Sedans : Seating comfort will be poor for 5 people, and difficulty in getting in & out as well.
SUV: Driving & Parking difficulties in the city & mostly offers comfortable seating for 4 only.

Only MUVs tick all your needs and versatile for both city and occasional highway rides as well. I also started my hunt in above 2 categories and shortlisted Vento in Sedan and Duster in SUV. But finally went for more practical Ertiga, since it offers Sedan like ride quality & economy of a Sedan with some SUV advantages like good interior space, high ground clearance, better road presence etc. I moved from Sedan and if I have sum my experience in 1 sentence, it felt like relocating from an apartment to spacious independent house.

However, in my opinion preferences and priorities of everyone are different. You can start off with short listing some cars in each category and do first a quick first round TD (preferably on same day or 2 days). This is help in elimination of some cars, leaving with smaller list from which you can finalize. You can do second TD also, preferably a longer drive in different kinds of roads.

Thread Starter #15
You can start off with short listing some cars in each category and do first a quick first round TD (preferably on same day or 2 days). This is help in elimination of some cars
these people dont have vehicles when i want to have a TD[surprise]. but call every day to visit them[frustration]. should check other dealerships.

I would feel Vento would be the best option for you. If you prefer road presence then may be an XUV500 or a storme
which one has good ROAD PRESENCE Storme or XUV 500 ( no iam not starting fight or debate ) just asking opinion. the city where is live is famous for notorious autowallas and cab drivers who dont respect unless deamanded ( i dont want to bully anyone).

So in older 800 you could sit comfortably however, if you check the likes of swift and dezire, the space is not that much. Thanks to the enlarged dashboard.
your are absolutely true about 800 even in those days without tilt steering it has so much knee room that my knees wont touch steering at all.
all iam looking for is vehicle with road presence , so that no one bothers or honks un necessarily.[:)]

Top Bottom