Honda Amaze SMT or Hyundai i20 Asta (Diesel)?

Thread Starter #1
Guys am new to this forum. I am seriously in doubt whether to go for Amaze SMT diesel or i20 asta diesel. Took TD twice with both the vehicles. My heart says Amaze but my mind is for i20 as I feel its VFM given its resale value.

Amaze - pros
Superb handling, Very minimal turbo lag (Like it a lot)
Is fun to drive, Small turn radius
Amazing rear space and boot space

Amaze - cons
Dashboard is so plain
No fog lamps or any additional feature
Little pricey given the interior quality
Rear view mirror is small
NVH levels - Fearful about all the complaints about rattling noise

i20 - pros
More specs in the dashboard and lots of add-ons (You all know very well)..
Interior feels little more premium but not that spacious as Amaze..

i20 - cons
Turbo lag..
Not that good mileage.
Steering wheel is too light to manoeuvre confidently (Heard it's hard to drive at high speeds)

Should I go with the fun to drive Amaze or more premium i20.? So very confused. [confused] I am posting this in Amaze page as I want to hear from Amaze users.

Last edited by a moderator:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
first would like you to give a suggestion , if you're ok with amaze why not test drive the hyundai xcent ?

you will get nice interiors + features + good mileage [thumbsup]

read the review here http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...hyundai-xcent-review-test-drive-pictures.html

coming back to your choice.

interiors : amaze interior's are too bland. i took a TD of the car and was shocked to see the quality of interiors. no need to say anything about i20's interior.

engine : i liked the performance of amaze and in traffic it's effortless to drive with it's light clutch and gear shifts ( although sometimes gears were not that smooth ) haven't TD'd the i20 so won't comment although i know the NVH levels would be good.

mileage : amaze wins in this , and petrol i20 had mileage issues , never heard for the diesel.

steering : xcent's steering is better than i20 and even the suspensions are good. amaze's steering has no problem.

BTW i own 3 hyundai , have crossed 150kmph in my i10 and 180kmph in my verna , obviously at these speeds any car's handling will create a doubt. so i don't think i20's steering should be a problem.

conclusion : i'll say take a TD of xcent , although the engine is not that powerful but the car easily does 120 kmph ( i took a TD of grand i10 , same engine ) but after that , in many reviews , car stalls. not much power.

if you don't mind the quality of interiors + features amaze is the choice for you otherwise the i20.

Please keep in mind that i20 is 6 year old model and will be discontinued by yearend. Why consider a car which will be discontinued ?. Secondly, Amaze is a Compact Sedan while i20 is Premium Hatchback. Both cars have pros & cons.

Honda Amaze Pros
Space, Fuel Economy, Performance, Driveability, Handling

Cons
Interiors - Equipment List

Hyundai i20 Pros
Premium Looks, Feature Packed

Cons
Driving Dynamics, Dated, Service Cost

So, Both cars are very good, but its the Amaze which comes ahead due to the fact that its just 1 year old model compared to 6 year old i20. Coming to resale, both cars have good resale, just like Hyundai, Honda cars too have good resale. The factors that'll favour Amaze are cheap service cost, high fuel economy. Both cars are reliable and will last long. Despite its bland interiors Amaze still makes a strong case itself. Coming to NVH, Honda has made some changes to the engine, it is much more refined then before. When you go for TD, ask the dealer for old TD vehicle and new 2014 TD vehicle, if they don't have, try another dealer. I had been to Honda, Hyundai dealership to test drive Amaze, Xcent. I test drove 2014 Amaze VX and the car had considerably less noise compared to earlier cars and the dashboard which had brown color is gone now, its full black and looks much better now. So Amaze is brilliantly packaged car, infact i felt Amaze much better then other cars in the 8.5-9 lakh price range.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
first would like you to give a suggestion , if you're ok with amaze why not test drive the hyundai xcent ?

you will get nice interiors + features + good mileage [thumbsup]
Thanks for your suggestions. I took a look at grand i10 but not yet at xcent. Checked the link you provided - The interiors are so cool :cool:, definitely it looks VFM but the engine alone lets me down, cause once in every 6 months we go to our hometown ~1500km round trip. We never took our santro out for that, being afraid of how it would handle such a trip. So only looking at higher CC engines.

I have asked for grandi10 TD, I think both has the same engine. So will get to know how it comes out.

Hi. As your priority is diesel engine. Amaze will be my choice. It has good after sales and also you like it.

Other cars can be considered as City Diesel (If budget Permits) or Fiat Punto, Ford Figo, Volkswagen Polo, Vento etc, Etios, Liva . Try to expand your budget, A lot of options will come.

Ankit

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
Please keep in mind that i20 is 6 year old model and will be discontinued by yearend. Why consider a car which will be discontinued ?. Secondly, Amaze is a Compact Sedan while i20 is Premium Hatchback. Both cars have pros & cons.
Nice points you have made. But I think i20 is going nowhere. At Hyundai they said it's going to get a facelift by end of 2015.

I too heard that 2014 version has less noise but I test drove a 2013 only and that NVH too didnt bother me much as I was expecting much worse [:D] Surely, the thing I really liked about Amaze is it's linear power, felt more like a petrol engine. [:)]

i20 is not far behind as we can push it hard to get the turbo kick-in at the expense of the pricey mileage. That's where I am fearful. Whereas, I get both power and FE in Amaze but will surely miss the features of i20. Difficult call. Why can't they make a wholesome car. [frustration]

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Thanks for your suggestions. I took a look at grand i10 but not yet at xcent. Checked the link you provided - The interiors are so cool :cool:, definitely it looks VFM but the engine alone lets me down, cause once in every 6 months we go to our hometown ~1500km round trip. We never took our santro out for that, being afraid of how it would handle such a trip. So only looking at higher CC engines.

I have asked for grandi10 TD, I think both has the same engine. So will get to know how it comes out.
that's the reason i told you about the engine power at 120 kmph above but believe me you won't be driving above 120, sure you will try to take the car to the maximum maybe once or twice but 80-90 kmph is a safe speed.

it would be better to TD the xcent. also make sure you check the AC effectiveness , keep the blower at two because my grand i10 TD car AC was not that good ( blower was set at 1 )

we also have to buy a car in another month or so. liked the amaze but opted out because of the interiors. and i'd like to tell you that NVH levels of amaze were not disappointing. it's acceptable.

Last edited:
Nice points you have made. But I think i20 is going nowhere. At Hyundai they said it's going to get a facelift by end of 2015. I too heard that 2014 version has less noise but I test drove a 2013 only and that NVH too didnt bother me much as I was expecting much worse [:D] Surely, the thing I really liked about Amaze is it's linear power, felt more like a petrol engine. [:)] i20 is not far behind as we can push it hard to get the turbo kick-in at the expense of the pricey mileage. That's where I am fearful. Whereas, I get both power and FE in Amaze but will surely miss the features of i20. Difficult call. Why can't they make a wholesome car. [frustration]
Even the SA at local dealership said there will be Facelift, I said your wrong. He said Why ?. I said Hyundai has already face lifted i20 in 2012, why will they again facelift it, then he was all of a sudden stopped. All this happened when i had went to check out the Xcent. The SA also curiously asked whether i was trading my Brio for Xcent, i20. I strictly said I'll never replace a Honda with a Hyundai.

Hyundai is testing all new i20 in India and is expected to launch later this year. It is no way like the current car from any angle. The reason why the showroom folks mention all those things is to not reduce the demand of that particular car. Every month each and every dealer will be given a Sales Target. The SA at Skoda Dealer told me they must sell 40 cars/month.

If you're not in hurry, wait for new i20, otherwise go for Amaze, if you haven't liked Amaze, there are various other options to choose from.

If you need better interiors and the feel of turbo kicking in,the go for i20 else, the linear power delivery, better mileage figures and a better handling amaze will be good.

One question,

I do feel Amaze dashboard doesn't look good compared to Dzire and Xcent. Now, my question is didn't the old Dzire share the same dashboard with Swift, It too looked ordinary, but did it stop a customer from buying Dzire ? The answer is "NO".
When i am driving, the only part of the central dashboard I'll look once is the AC & Blower Button. If its hot, I'll set it to Max till i reach my destination. I'll listen to music, radio only when i am getting bored, but the Brio doesn't allow to get bored. I will be keeping eye on Speedometer only when i am in freeway, rest of the times I'll be crawling at 30-35 kmph. You cant go further then that speed due to traffic.

So basically what i am saying is, whenever you're driving a car, the look of the dashboard, the amount of kit the central console has (i20 & Verna) isnt important.

Regarding NVH, Honda has already made corrections to the NVH level in 2014 versions. The sound is much lower compared to earlier cars. I am expecting Honda to refresh interiors of Amaze during face-lift. Apart from these negatives, Amaze is a fantastic car. .

Thread Starter #12
Hi. As your priority is diesel engine. Amaze will be my choice. It has good after sales and also you like it.

Other cars can be considered as City Diesel (If budget Permits) or Fiat Punto, Ford Figo, Volkswagen Polo, Vento etc, Etios, Liva . Try to expand your budget, A lot of options will come.

Ankit
Yes, Amaze feels better choice.. Can't stretch beyond 9lacs.. Otherwise I would have checked Ecosport (Given that is also a Sub 4-metre)

If you need better interiors and the feel of turbo kicking in,the go for i20 else, the linear power delivery, better mileage figures and a better handling amaze will be good.
Everybody says Amaze.. [thinking] Atleast you gave some fair points about i20.. I all these years grew up thinking of owning i20 and now this Amaze is giving me sleepless nights [:D]

that's the reason i told you about the engine power at 120 kmph above but believe me you won't be driving above 120, sure you will try to take the car to the maximum maybe once or twice but 80-90 kmph is a safe speed.

we also have to buy a car in another month or so. liked the amaze but opted out because of the interiors. and i'd like to tell you that NVH levels of amaze were not disappointing. it's acceptable.
Yes obviously I always wouldn't be soaring and the most I went in my santro was 100 only. Yeah 80-90kmph is safe zone. Yes, I too agree that NVH is not that bad with Amaze.

Very well said. I second that too.

@Stev Of the 2 options given by you, if you want a driver's car, amaze it should be
Hmmm.. Well said in one line..

So basically what i am saying is, whenever you're driving a car, the look of the dashboard, the amount of kit the central console has (i20 & Verna) isnt important.

Regarding NVH, Honda has already made corrections to the NVH level in 2014 versions. The sound is much lower compared to earlier cars. I am expecting Honda to refresh interiors of Amaze during face-lift. Apart from these negatives, Amaze is a fantastic car. .
I agree with your view points. But I would feel bad if Amaze comes up with good interiors in its facelift, after I get one now [;)] Hmmm, tough call for me.

Thanks to everybody for your inputs!!

Everybody says Amaze.. [thinking] Atleast you gave some fair points about i20.. I all these years grew up thinking of owning i20 and now this Amaze is giving me sleepless nights [:D]
Well I was the same kind of person. I was having a very big crush on i20 and the ergonimcs issue and dynamics of i20 really put me down. And finally settled to an Amaze :cool:

Thread Starter #14
Well I was the same kind of person. I was having a very big crush on i20 and the ergonimcs issue and dynamics of i20 really put me down. And finally settled to an Amaze :cool:
Oh.. Nice to know that you had your eye on i20 before settling with the Amaze.. Am not alone.. [:)]

Can you please throw some light on the ergonomic issues - I feel i20 is atleast better in that segment, it has an arm rest too that might come handy during long drives; Has an electro-chromic rear view mirror which they claim is easy on the eyes at night..

Also, if possible, please expand on the dynamics front too, so I would have my answers to choose Amaze over i20.. Thanks!!

Top Bottom