New Car Below Rs.5 Lakh

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

My friend is just back from UK (after on sight project for couple of years now) and he wanted to buy a new car and requested my assistance. The following are the points.

• He is looking for a car below 5L. Do not want to burden himself with big EMI amount.
  • He is new for driving (yet to learn and get License)
  • He is willing to go for Diesel (might use it for office commuting, some where from ECR to somewhere to OMR)
  • 50% Financing
  • Just young, recently got married and expecting a baby soon, so small family.
  • Might travel to his native near Pudhukottai often (I am adding this)

Will add later if any points found.

I have suggested him Beat LS or Grand i10 (do not know the basic price On Road)

Pls help him choose a good car.

Re: New Car below 5L

Hi Sethu,
Not sure if we have a diesel car within 5 L, I doubt.
What would be his travel plan in kms/month?

Thread Starter #3

Srini, am not sure about that but he is also keen on diesel car only (as I said he might travel to his native frequently if he can have diesel car)

What about Beat LS I think it is having some offers now. (recently I checked)

Srini, am not sure about that but he is also keen on diesel car only (as I said he might travel to his native frequently if he can have diesel car)

What about Beat LS I think it is having some offers now. (recently I checked)
  1. You may need to inform your friend there is no diesel car within 5 Lacs (may be he can try in second hand market - which is also good as he is new to driving)
  2. I heard Beat has good mileage and is well fit for small family too.
  3. Since he is returned from onsite, he may wish to check on Celerio AMT; it will help him to adapt to gearless driving quickly as he would have driven gearless cars in UK

Last edited:

yet to learn and get License
In this case it is always better to get a used car, familiarize cramped area driving, get confidence, then go for a new car. Cons of learning in a brand new car (all "MAY BE") Scratches / dents, Clutch abuse.

PS: Why don't you ask your friend to join TAI? We don't have much complication in registering as like other forums [;)]

Yes. Diesel cars will be available at this budget

Beat diesel LS, Indica & Indica ev2 are the entry level diesel cars available and they are really VFM too.
Since he is new to driving and it will be his first car, petrols also good option. Alto k10 & datsun go are good options in petrol. Briois an another option, if he is ready to extend his budget.
Celerio AMT & Micra CVT are the good options in auto gear models. If launched soon Bolt petrol (AMT?) may be also come in this budget.

Difference in the initial amount will compramice fuel expense on petrol.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7

1. You may need to inform your friend there is no diesel car within 5 Lacs (may be he can try in second hand market - which is also good as he is new to driving)
  2. I heard Beat has good mileage and is well fit for small family too.
  3. Since he is returned from onsite, he may wish to check on Celerio AMT; it will help him to adapt to gearless driving quickly as he would have driven gearless cars in UK
Do not know about his idea about 2nd hand cars.
Celerio AMT was good option, even i thought about it. Since he is specific on diesel I did n't push further.
He has n't leart driving I belive, let me check with him about his opinion on AMT.

In this case it is always better to get a used car, familiarize cramped area driving, get confidence, then go for a new car. Cons of learning in a brand new car (all "MAY BE") Scratches / dents, Clutch abuse.

PS: Why don't you ask your friend to join TAI? We don't have much complication in registering as like other forums [;)]
Already I did Boss. As soon as I opened this thread, I sent the link to him asking him to follow it and also requested him to register and take part of the discussion. Hope by doing that he will know all kinds of nuances of selecting a new car.

Yes. Diesel cars will be available at this budget

Beat diesel LS, Indica & Indica ev2 are the entry level diesel cars available and they are really VFM too.
Since he is new to driving and it will be his first car, petrols also good option. Alto k10 & datsun go are good options in petrol. Briois an another option, if he is ready to extend his budget.
Celerio AMT & Micra CVT are the good options in auto gear models. If launched soon Bolt petrol (AMT?) may be also come in this budget.

Difference in the initial amount will compramice fuel expense on petrol.
Thanks for lot of options. Since he is looking for entry level (budget also important) I do not want to push him further. Let us see.

Hi
As their is a famous quote "If a person can drive in India, He can drive anywhere in the world."

After coming back from UK., He might have difficulty in driving here and he might be adjusted to traffic rules in UK and not a city where 2 lanes are 4 lanes.

Best suggestion to him would be a used car till he masters his driving skill. Many diesel reliable cars are available in used markets like Swift, Ritzy, i20 etc.

Also make sure that when he is driving first time try learning in an empty road or ground.

Ankit

when is he coming back, may be Nano diesel can be lanched by that time. Also what about the safety consideration if his native is a highway drive and if he is a new driver I would suggest spending some more money for this is worth.

First check his requirement. If he is not using his car much he can stick to petrol. Since he is new driver, I am not sure how much highway driving will he be doing.

Thread Starter #11

Hi
As their is a famous quote "If a person can drive in India, He can drive anywhere in the world."

After coming back from UK., He might have difficulty in driving here and he might be adjusted to traffic rules in UK and not a city where 2 lanes are 4 lanes.

Best suggestion to him would be a used car till he masters his driving skill. Many diesel reliable cars are available in used markets like Swift, Ritzy, i20 etc.

Also make sure that when he is driving first time try learning in an empty road or ground.

Ankit
I dont think he would have driven car in UK (I did n't check, most probably answer might be NO since he is not even got indian license)

when is he coming back, may be Nano diesel can be lanched by that time. Also what about the safety consideration if his native is a highway drive and if he is a new driver I would suggest spending some more money for this is worth.
He is already here and he wanted to start the process by next week and get a car by this month end (very eager)

First check his requirement. If he is not using his car much he can stick to petrol. Since he is new driver, I am not sure how much highway driving will he be doing.
I will do that Anshuman (I think he may not do highway trips immediately, but am sure he would like to do that and he will pick-up highway driving very fast, I know this guy very long time)

Hi buddies, Thank you to all for your suggestions.

Im Kali, Mr.Sethu’s friend.

I have decided to buy used car because I’ve chance to travel again within a year. Could you please share me the best dealers to buy used cars.

I have decided to buy used car because I’ve chance to travel again within a year. Could you please share me the best dealers to buy used cars.
Welcome to TAI.
For used cars, it is always better to get directly owner rather than dealer (lot of disadvantages)
Will the budget remain same for used car too?

Thread Starter #15
Kali, I think it is better to try with known resources among our friends if you are planning for used cars. Generally don't trust the used car dealers.

Anyway I will buzz to one of my friend who is also member here who recently bought used car and ask for his guidance.

Go thru his experience of buying used car, Tata Saffari

Last edited:

Top Bottom