Need All Your Inputs To Buy My First Car

Thread Starter #1
Friends

I'm in market to buy my first car. My budget (OTR price) is 5lakhs INR, but if a vehicle is good I can stretch my budget upto 1lakh more.

The car will be used within city and sometimes outside on weekends by my family (me, wife and daughter). So considering the less usage I will prefer a petrol version with good FE.

For the past 1 month I'm spending hours on internet to read the various reviews and most importantly ownership reviews of various cars. Because the real review comes for the owners.

I had leaning towards Hyundai grand i10 sports (P) for 5.8lakhs OTR in Hyderabad without any discount/offer. But after learning about the battery drain issue, poor AC, poor audio, I've taken a back step [confused]

The second car which I had sort listed was Maruti Suzuki Swift. But when I compare features and inside space of grand i10 it does not shine. Also rumors are on air for the next version of swift very soon.

Now I'm confused, what to do. I need all your valuable suggestion. If something is already in pipeline and will be launched soon, I can even wait for it.

Hi go for Hyundai i20 . If you can wait ,Go fr Zest or Bolt which is going to release in Mid 2014..
Else you have other options like Polo ,Brio ,Ritz.

Yes Grand i10 has smaller compressor not very effective .

Ankit

Hi wyswyg,
The Swift is only getting a facelift,not an all new model.The Swift is a better car than Grand i10.The AC is a chiller in Swift,while it's about average in i10.What is missing is Bluetooth in Swift,other than that I don't find any difference to crib.
Regards,
Aneesh.

Go for swift or Honda Brio but Brio also lacks in features. If you want features then only one option is in market which is Hyundai. So decide on that. [:)]
Best of luck.. [:)]

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Hi wyswyg,
The Swift is only getting a facelift,not an all new model.The Swift is a better car than Grand i10.The AC is a chiller in Swift,while it's about average in i10.What is missing is Bluetooth in Swift,other than that I don't find any difference to crib.
Regards,t
Aneesh.
Grand i10 also has rear parking sensors and start stop button which will come in swift's newer model.

Anyways, the battery issue was limited to some cars and I newer cars don't have the issue. And I too agree AC was not upto the mark in the Test drive car I drove.

Have you personally checked the car? Do take a TD.
If I were you I won't go for swift. Brio seems to be a better option.

Contact both dealers and see what all discounts honda is giving and post the final OTR price here.

@wyswyg, can you pls. confirm on your driving skills like experienced, novice etc.

If experienced, you can very check in for new car of your choice and budget. Grand i10 is a very nice car which I have heard about. You may also wish to check on Celerio also wth AMT or top end ZXI manual etc. Hyundai cars may be costlier to maintain in long run as compared to Maruti.

If you are a novice, then best advise is to go for second hand untill you become little experienced before scouting for a new car. Second hand car market offers lots of varities too at your budget and you can even get at cheaper prices too.

Thread Starter #7
@srinivas_gs Thank you for your suggestion. Yes, you got it right from the thread title. It's my first car, means I'm not a experienced rather novice driver who just passed out from the driving test :-)

Even I was considering secondhand car which is more sensible both financially and as a novice driver. But I'm not sure if I'll be victim of some cheat. Friends are saying NEVER EVER go for secondhand car as its a hit or miss (50-50) as you do not know how the owner was driving the car, if the odometer has tampered, etc.... many genuine questions.

@HaruH Frankly I do not like the looks of brio. And I do not want to buy something which I do not like.

Last edited:
@srinivas_gs Thank you for your suggestion. Yes, you got it right from the thread title. It's my first car, means I'm not a experienced rather novice driver who just passed out from the driving test :-)

Even I was considering secondhand car which is more sensible both financially and as a novice driver. But I'm not sure if I'll be victim of some cheat. Friends are saying NEVER EVER go for secondhand car as its a hit or miss (50-50) as you do not know how the owner was driving the car, if the odometer has tampered, etc.... many genuine questions.

@HaruH Frankly I do not like the looks of brio. And I do not want to buy something which I do not like.
Well there are tricks from saving us from bad cars .My suggestion go for second Hand and practice till you perfect it.
Here are some tips
1) Important In India, Japanese cars enjoy the best long-term resale value because of their reliability, but diesel cars also sell well on the second-hand market. Reliability should be high on your checklist; research it by looking at the quality ratings of each car.
2) Check the Original Certificate of Registration – see if anywhere it reads DRC issued (DRC means Duplicate Registration Certificate). Ask for it in writing that the Original Certificate of Registration is available.

3) Important Ask for it in writing that the Car is an accident free car.

4) Important Do not believe the Speedometer reading as almost every car sold by a dealer is calibrated – add at least another 20000 Kms. to whatever is showing on the speedometer. Check the tyres for date of manufacture – the date of manufacture should be two or three months before the date of purchase of the car as mentioned in the Certificate of Registration. This gives you a fair idea whether the car’s speedometer reading is genuine or not.

5)Insist on a duplicate key – if the duplicate key is not there – most likely it would be with the Finance Company.

6) Important Avoid buying a car which has been repossessed/confiscated by the Finance Company – you will not get the Original Certificate of Registration and besides you may end up in problems with the original buyer even though the car maybe transferred in your name.

7) Important Check where the car is being serviced – you can find this out in the Car Manual but in the event that the manual is not available – most of the service companies put the sticker on the cars – call them with the car number and ask them for the history of the car. Also, you can check with the service company as to what was the last service date and the Km. reading recorded with them at the last service – this way you can figure out whether the speedometer has been tampered with or not.

8) Preferably if you know someone in one of the service stations or having been using one – take the car for a drive there and ask them to evaluate the car.

9) Use only reputed car dealers who advertise for accident free vehicles and who have had a good reputation in the market for a number of years.

10) Important Maruti as well as Hyundai have a division dealing with used cars –
buy preferably from them though they would be slightly more expensive than the market but remember that the car is certified by the manufacturer.

11) Important Please do not go by the outward appearance of the car – get it checked. Remember all that glitters in not gold.

12) Important Never buy a modified car: You can be certain a modified car was driven “enthusiastically” by its previous owner and there can be uncertainty about the quality of the modifications. Walk away from any highly modified car.

13) Important Lightly used cars: A car that is ten years old with only 30,000 km on the odometer is probably not a good buy. Cars are built to run and long periods of inactivity cause problems.

14) Important Expert friend: If you don’t know much about cars, bring a knowledgeable friend or mechanic with you. They may discover problems unknown to you and a second opinion can be helpful or even a nearby mechanic .

Ankit

If you are worried about the niggles in Grand i10, then I would suggest you to go for tried and tested product like Swift or Brio. I prefer Swift because of its better ASC availability & support and for first timers, Maruti is a no-brainer.

If you worried about the AC in cars well go for MarutiSuzuki or Ford product. They have better AC's as compared to others in this price.

If you could stretch your budget a little, you can think of buying

- MS Ritz Zxi [ABS + EBD + Airbag + Alloy Wheel]
- Ford Figo [Diesel] Zxi/Titanium
- Renault Pulse
- Nissan Micra

I would suggest you to go for a with more safety features like abs, ebd. other gizmos can be added as a after market.

Honda brio: refined to the core. negative: poor suspension set up
hyundai grand i10: feature loaded. negative: costly maintainence in the long run.
swift: lives to the tag line "amazingly swift". negatives are poor head room at the rear.

buying a used car is like getting a girl friend who had a EX- boy friend. you need to be look into each and every detail. I would suggest you to get a new Girl friend ( i meant the car that you are going to buy).

bhvm

Honoured Member
Its AC is not at all effective .It has only 60 CC similar to Eon . Grand i10 will work if he can live with ok AC

Ankit
I think that the AC is not effective because it has Glovebox Chiller and some cooling is getting diverted for the purpose. If the chiller can be turned OFF, the AC performance can be restored?

Thread Starter #15
Thank you all your inputs. I really got lots of information from the members here which helped me to understand the things better.

I thinks its wise to wait and watch as I'm not in hurry to buy a car. So I have paused my car buying for now and at the same time I will have an eye on the latest developments.

Top Bottom