Ford Ecosport 1.5P or All New Honda City 2014 VMT

Thread Starter #1
Since long I have been waiting to get myself a new ride and when my Dad asked me to return his Ford Figo back, I started hunting for the replacement.

As my monthly running will be no more than 1000 km max, petrol is the one I decided to go with.

After looking and test driving almost all the cars and so called SUV in price range of 8 to 12 lakhs I finally settled down booking Ford Ecosport in the month of nov 2013.

And the long wait started as quoted by dealer of 6-7 month.
After launch of new Honda City, I thought of giving it a shot and did pre-booking of petrol variant in Dec 2013.
Dealer told me that I will have to wait till march to get one.

After waiting for almost 3 long month [frustration], I decided to go with Honda City and cancelled my Ecosport booking. Dealer were like always ready to cancel without asking any reason.

Now in march, one side Honda dealer is ready to give me my desired car in my given colour option and suddenly Ford dealer called me one day informing that they have one petrol high end 1.5 variant ready to be given to me if I am willing.

So now I am very much confused whether to go for ready Honda City or drop City and catch the Ecosport.

Family is divided in this as my wife feels good in Honda and calls it future proof in context to increasing family size where as parents want to see me in SUV like thing going by my personality.

Also I wish to inform that I am doctor by profession.

Kindly help me in deciding between these two. [confused]

Last edited by a moderator:
Both are 5 seaters with decent luggage room. Ecosport in my opinion is a hatchback with high ground clearance. I heard highway stability is not that great in ecosport. If you are going to use within city and rare highway drives then you can think of ecosport. For frequent highway drives i would suggest City.

Ecosport

+SUV
+SPACE ,COMFORTABLE
+MILEAGE
+FEATURES
-NOT BEST PETROL ENGINES
CITY

+BEST PETROL ENGINE
+SPACE
+HONDA BAGDE
-COST CUTTING ,
-LESS FEATURES

Ankit

If you are travelling on village sides too often where the quality of roads is very poor then go for Ecosport so you can easily travel on that Hard surface.
But is that is not requirement then be firm your choice of City because you can get very good after sales service which is not possible with Ford, I can assure you that you need to go at ASS only for routine service apart from that no need of that with City and Honda's petrol means no option for that in India. Plus you can get good comfy ride in City.
There is some cons but they are not deal barker at all. So my advice to you is go with City only. [:)]

Both the cars belong to different segments so they have their own advantages and disadvantages. But no doubt Honda has the best petrol engine and are reliable.

Ecosport has a better design (personal view) and definitely has better GC. Both have good features and good interiors.

What i would suggest is go and TD both the car again and then decide. TD them back to back.

Thread Starter #8
I have TD Honda city like 3 times for short run (Approx 4-5 km each) including both diesel and petrol variants and i feel comfortable driving it.

Dealer in my town don't have ecosport as TD vehicle, so haven't had any TD. Do you think I should go for ecosport without any TD ?

Also as _Ankit_ replied
FORD ECOSPORT
-NOT BEST PETROL ENGINES

Any specific reason for that ?

Also as _Ankit_ replied
FORD ECOSPORT
-NOT BEST PETROL ENGINES

Any specific reason for that ?
It is because Honda was only selling petrol engines in India for last 15-16 years and got a diesel motor recently.Most people bought Honda because of its petrol engine .
It is good ,Almost equal to it .If you want to TD the car go to a far Ford Showroom or request them to TD the happening delivery .

Ankit

On the comfort front, City is ahead of Ecosport but Ecosport scores in terms of practicality (200mm GC) and high seating position. Since you are opting for petrol, I would suggest you to go for City not that Ecosport petrol mill is worse but still the refinement + power is definitely ahead of Ford 1.0 or 1.5 mill. Also, the reliability is one of the strong point to choose City.

Thread Starter #11
On the comfort front, City is ahead of Ecosport but Ecosport scores in terms of practicality (200mm GC) and high seating position. Since you are opting for petrol, I would suggest you to go for City not that Ecosport petrol mill is worse but still the refinement + power is definitely ahead of Ford 1.0 or 1.5 mill. Also, the reliability is one of the strong point to choose City.
I have always favored high seating position in car / SUV as it gives extra confidence while driving.
Same i experienced with my old Santro. Ingress and egress is easy too.
Practicality in terms of ground clearance don't matter much as this vehicle will be used only in city limits or highways for long drive and not in village side.

Definitely parents are going to like comfort of sedan on long run.

But the kid in me likes to have SUV like thing. Really confused.

^^Ecosport is really a good buy in that price range where it offers great GC and high stance of seating, but I have my own doubts on Ford petrol engines in long run and also treat Ecosport as 4=1/2 seater and in my driving experience the ride quality on rear bench is not that good.

On other hand the new city is surely looks elegant with its new look and well proven petrol engine for years and great reliability tag. Sedan always give more comfort and especially your parents. It also suit to your profession in my personal opinion.

My final pic in this case would be Honda City and if it would have been a diesel mill, then probably ES for sure

Both the cars are doing very well in their segment. Since both falls in different segment, the purpose will decide the car to chosen.

Both car have ample of space and luxury. The only difference I found which is the ground clearance in ECO. The advantage you may get in ECO if you buy a AT variant is you will get
Emergency Brake Assist, Electronic Stability Control,Traction Control System, Hill Launch Assist.
Whereas in CITY you will get Electric sunroof.

The power in both case is almost same. Well to decide which vehicle will suit your need is,

- if your family member are tall enough then sure ECO will be more comfortable.
- if you are a driving enthusiastic and have a thirst for little or more off-road the ECO for sure.
- if you a city and highway cruiser then CITY is the best option.
- the extra chrome work gives CITY a luxury appearance; if you are looking for style statement.

Both petrol engines are very good in terms of performance. CITY has a very good reputation in due to its petrol motor. Even petrol FORD are also good but due to improper marketing as ASS, consumer has lost its faith on Ford.

[:D]

Thread Starter #15
Thanks for all the support and valuable suggestions.
I was able to finalize on Honda city looking at my usage.
Previously I was interested in silver but after looking at UT color on road, I opted for it and yesterday got the delivery.
I would say UT looks very good and different in 4th gen as compared to 3rd gen city.

Bad [anger] I got goodyear and even bad outside Michelin dealer quoted only 2000 in exchange.
Thought of using goodyear as of now and will replace it after a year or two.
Dealer (Destination Honda, Anand, Gujarat) gave very good service and I am happy to refer others for honda cars there.
Had a small puja at dealer place and then at temple.
Ride was very good in short distance which I covered yesterday and I just love the new car smell.
Will post some pics very soon.
Bye.

Top Bottom