New SUV For Rs.40 Lakh Budget

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys

I need your help, My Uncle is planning to buy a SUV.

Below are the details:

Budget: 40-50 lakhs on-road max (I own an I10 , after this I will ask him to gift me a Range Rover Evoque) [evil]

New or Used: New

Priorities: safety(assuming every car in this segment would be having mostly all safety features), comfort, looks, fun to drive(as he himself loves driving)

Monthly running: 1000-1200 km with occasional long drive.

Type of fuel: Diesel

Purpose: Daily use as well as occasional long drive

Capacity: 4/5 adults

Segment: SUV

Just a brief history of what he owns right now is Honda City, Dzire, Sunny & Duster, by this I know he really loves driving. Now he has given me this job to find a car for him in the above mentioned budget. So I need your suggestions fellow members.

As per our initial discussion he mentioned he is eyeing for Q3. I would really appreciate if any fellow member owns a Q3 could shed some light about the master piece. [;)]

Re: SUV for 40 Lakh Budget

Hi
You have a good budget. You must check BMW X3 its a superb SUV and AUDI Q5 which is good .
Q3 top model can be brought but its a bit small and not as comfortable as others .

Ankit

Thread Starter #3

Hi
You have a good budget. You must check BMW X3 its a superb SUV and AUDI Q5 which is good .
Q3 top model can be brought but its a bit small and not as comfortable as others .

Ankit
Don't you think X3 & Q5 would overshoot the On Road Price of 40-50Lakhs.

If you are in Delhi No Problem . Recently my distant relative got X3 for around 46 lakhs(Dont know how After discounts in January and Q5 can be around 48 lakhs .And don't forget there was a recent price reduce and expire in May or June .
Links for your guidance -BMW X3 - Price, Review, Pics, Specs & Mileage in India | CarDekho
Audi Q5 - Price, Review, Pics, Specs & Mileage (Diesel, Petrol) in India | CarDekho
X3 Aprrox on Road around 52 lakhs without discount (Recent reduce 1 lakh and corporate discount, free accessories and Other discounts ), It will be less then 50 lakhs.

BTW you a car once in 2-3 years Most of times so think 100 times before deciding anything

Regards
Ankit

Thread Starter #5

If you are in Delhi No Problem . Recently my distant relative got X3 for around 46 lakhs(Dont know how After discounts in January and Q5 can be around 48 lakhs .And don't forget there was a recent price reduce and expire in May or June .
Links for your guidance -BMW X3 - Price, Review, Pics, Specs & Mileage in India | CarDekho
Audi Q5 - Price, Review, Pics, Specs & Mileage (Diesel, Petrol) in India | CarDekho
X3 Aprrox on Road around 52 lakhs without discount (Recent reduce 1 lakh and corporate discount, free accessories and Other discounts ), It will be less then 50 lakhs.

BTW you a car once in 2-3 years Most of times so think 100 times before deciding anything

Regards
Ankit
"BTW you a car once in 2-3 years Most of times so think 100 times before deciding anything "

That's true buddy I agree with you.

One more thing I heard that the BMW servicing costs lot more than Audi is it true any idea about it.

Can you please let me know how much X3 servicing costs?

Hi.
Service cost have a minimal difference when you are buying a luxury car. I don't know exact cost but will let you know soon.

With the given budget, there are a few nice options in the luxury SUV segment. My choice would be to look at the Land Rover Freelander 2. It comes with an ex-showroom tag of 38.8Lakhs, so should be in budget at on road price as well.

The close second would be the updated Volvo XC60 which is priced around the 40Lakh ex-showroom price. These two are absolute fun to drive vehicles. BMW X3 will slightly overshoot the budget I feel. Do tell your uncle to take extensive test drives of the various short-listed cars before finalizing.

Thread Starter #8

Hi.
Service cost have a minimal difference when you are buying a luxury car. I don't know exact cost but will let you know soon.
Thanks a ton bro.

With the given budget, there are a few nice options in the luxury SUV segment. My choice would be to look at the Land Rover Freelander 2. It comes with an ex-showroom tag of 38.8Lakhs, so should be in budget at on road price as well.

The close second would be the updated Volvo XC60 which is priced around the 40Lakh ex-showroom price. These two are absolute fun to drive vehicles. BMW X3 will slightly overshoot the budget I feel. Do tell your uncle to take extensive test drives of the various short-listed cars before finalizing.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was too looking into these two options. I personally liked the Land Rover Freelander 2. My uncle is actually on a vacation. After his return he will be test driving all the available options. Hope I could drive to Jaipur and have some fun with him in test driving these luxurious beasts. [clap]

Why not to consider Santa Fe. Trust it looks much better than those premium UVs. and Maintenance would be much cheaper as compared to those. But if brand image is important then premium brands are the way to go.

My shortlists would be the Volvo, Freelander and Montero - the Q5 would go over budget. Q3 range is too small for the budget. Final choice you should make after TDing these.

Thread Starter #11

Why not to consider Santa Fe. Trust it looks much better than those premium UVs. and Maintenance would be much cheaper as compared to those. But if brand image is important then premium brands are the way to go.
We had a discussion on Santa Fe the 2014 model but I believe he is looking for the premium stuff so he said no to Santa Fe.

My shortlists would be the Volvo, Freelander and Montero - the Q5 would go over budget. Q3 range is too small for the budget. Final choice you should make after TDing these.
Thanks Iron Rock. Don't know about Montero if he would consider it but I will ask him to surely TD Q3, FreeLander 2 & Volvo.

Thanks Iron Rock. Don't know about Montero if he would consider it but I will ask him to surely TD Q3, FreeLander 2 & Volvo.
Montero is all about practicality.But is old and the car is same since last 7-8 years. No Huge changes, Just bit of features here and there. Won't feel like sitting in premium vehicle.

Drive all 3 and then decide [:)] montero is the biggest and most powerful I guess it's a mono bof hybrid as well. Anyways all of them should be tded and then a further short list made

Last edited:

The purpose will decide which car to buy of this price. Well looking at your condition there are many to opt for,

- Volvo XC60
- JLR FreeLander [Business Edition]
- Audi Q3 [2.0 TDI Quattro, Premium+ edition]
- BMW X3
- Mitsubishi Montero [Big Guy]
- Audi Q5 [lower variant ]
- Hyundai Santa Fe 2014 [well this doesn't stand list considering Brand value, but still the feature and aesthetic are really good and competitive]

My choice would be "FreeLander" OR I would love to give a room for Santa Fe.

You can suggest the Q3 if he enjoys spirited driving ,everyone loves the DSG automatic gearbox it comes with,That and the all wheel drive system will ensure the car gets through anything,i havnt used Q3 but driven a friends Q5 and heard steering is similar in Q3 which is very light,but after driving for a while you get used to the car & you wont complain.Its decent size so you wont complain while parking while provide good ground clearance for Indian roads.The looks are however dull.Try getting it in Red!
Space in Q3 is similar to a regular sedan like Vento for example.
But panoramic sunroof is an option so pay extra if you need one.

X3 & Q5 will blow your budget,Q3 top end is 36 ex showroom but you can reduce around 1.5 easily knowing how Audi does business [:)]

Top Bottom