Mahindra Bolero Camper vs Tata Xenon vs Isuzu D-Max

Thread Starter #1
Guys, (I think gals should not be asked this question, however they are welcome) my father is looking for a crew cabin pick up as a replacement of his wagon R.
Of late he has to carry lot of agricultural products from farm to home to market & vice versa. Eg. Gunny bags full of grains, seeds, some times dogs and calf to vet., sometimes pipes and diesel water pump for repa ir purpose. Sometimes he has to carry some labourers to & fro.

Also, in the era of freebie schemes(food guarantee, free reproduction services, employment /unemployment allowance schemes, free health insurance blah blah) for poor ppl in India. It is extremely difficult to find sincere and willing labour hence He has to take the vehicle to all corners of farm where there are no roads. Hence I would prefer him to buy a 4×4.
Also he has to come to Pune from our ancestor's village (200km) And he carries my or brother's family to farm from Pune. Hence AC, PS is must. But won't mind retrofit them later on.

Expected Monthly running is 1000 to 1200 km.
He told me to enquire about Bolero camper. So I searched on net to find Xenon as an option .

I also read about Isuzu pick up but couldn't gather much info on that.

I have read the review of xenon by fellow TAIger Zinam. However could not read anything about 4×4 review.

Guys, please suggest, let the info flow in about these vehicles eg. TD, 4×4 utility, ASS cost etc.

Tata xenon Crew cabin 4 ×4LSD, OTR =Rs 7, 45 000 approx.
Tata xenon crew cabin 4×2, LSD, OTR =Rs 6, 80,000 approx.

Mahendra Bolero Camper gold crew cabin OTR =Rs 6, 50, 000
All these are AC PS models.

I have already TD Xenon 4×2, I couldn't find any thing to complain about. But not sure about niggles, ASS.

BOLERO Camper gold is not available in 4×4, however he said a Basic version of Bolero Camper is available in 4×4.
None of the Camper is available for TD or Demo. [frustration]. But he said that they are biggest dealers of M&M in Pune.

I tried with a small dealer but fellow didn't picked up the phone whole day.

Some one please help me to get TD of Camper preferably 4 ×4, and Isuzu D max.

Let me know how much useful is the Ltd of Xenon for my requirements.? Does Camper comes with LSD?

At 7.45 the 3 liters xenon is supremely yummy, Tata sneaked this in after flopping with the previous version, but this time hardly marketing it. When they get it right they don't market when they get it wrong they are all over - hope they learn someday.
The camper would be the more reliable workhorse but for me choice would be xenon on paper, I haven't driven any of this yet, but it's my educated guess. It's a bs3 though I guess it doesn't matter to you.

Thread Starter #3
BS 3 is OK for me.

IR, please help me reach Isuzu D max. Their website is of no use.

I want to know which version is with features and about their maharashtra dealership and ASS plans.

Last edited:
I would suggest you to go for xenon as you do not need to carry much load camper is more like a load carrier. Looking at your requirements I dont think you will carry much load so maintanance would not be that high. Also look of Xenon are awesome I am sure your dad will love it. If possible go for AMC with TATA this will make you tension free.

Tata Xenon is the answer. One resident of our apartment has bought one and is parked now a days. But its BS3 only and hence yellow board.

Tata Xenon is the answer. One resident of our apartment has bought one and is parked now a days. But its BS3 only and hence yellow board.
that should not be a problem for Tornado as he can take it out side pune address so BS3 can be obtained with white number plate

Thread Starter #7
Irrespective of BS 3 or BS4 xenon can be regd with both white and yellow number plate.
For xenon Crew cab 4×4,white number plate regn charges approx Rs 98 k while yellow number plate regn charges are Rs 25k and would require fitness certificate every 2 years @1700 Rs.

I wish if any member from hyderabad or trivendrum helps in getting info about dmax Isuzu as Isuzu doesn't have a dealer in Maharashtra.

Thread Starter #9
@Anshuman, I will love to visit bengluru if they are allowing an extensive TD. More importantly, it would be an ultramini TAI meet between me and you if not others.

I wish you talk with them.

Last edited:
Ok had a chat with the dealer, bad news for you only single cab D-Max is launched now, twin cab will be launched by next 6 months.

They have display vehicle but TD not possible, but if we insist he may take to yard to check a few ones in stock.

If you are interested in single cab I will pursue further.

I have seen Isuzu D-Max on road and frankly it does not look impressive. Looks like a wanna-be carrier. The size also small as compared to Bolero or Xenons. It looks like car is converted to a pickup.
If you want to go for commercial and good transport use, Bolero or xenon can be chosen. If for personal use, Xenon without any doubt. No two ways about it.

Xenon XT would be best. have seen Xenon XT on Mumbai pune express highway and with lights on top (like Tuff Truck concept) it look mighty muscular and a beast incarnated. To me it looked bigger than my storme. :)

Now coming to ASS's:

I am experiencing much improved TASS, and you based out of pune, I dont think you should have issues with TASS. Isuzu still dont have any many outlets. Now that if you are facing difficulty in finding a dealer in pune, think of what ASS you might get.
Cannot comment on MASS, but I dont think there's any issue with MASS.

Last edited:
Note Xenon is not under PCBU, hence TASS for Aria/Storme and Xenon are different. Earlier it was under same umbrella but I guess 2012 onward(or after Venture launch) its under commercial vehicles same as Winger.

Thread Starter #15
@vj, I wish you take a TD there at Hyd , Hyd being first showroom of Isuzu in India.
One of my friends who's father owned few Isuzu trucks decades back told me that Isuzu vehicles lasts for years & decades together. Hence I am interested.

The load carrying capacity of the xenon is 1000 kg & that of Dmax is 1200 kg.
I hope they are looking forward to open a showroom @Pune.

Top Bottom