Hunt For New Car!! (Booked Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDi)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
hi folks!
so, many people here doesn't know that i crashed our beautiful,sturdy 14 year old Hyundai Accent!
yes, some months back in the highways near madurai at around 11:00pm, I made a T_bone with a college bus! i was driving alone from Coimbatore to nagercoil. The front left almost everything gone! headlights, fender,bumper,fogs. Left the car for service outside as we had only 3rd party insurance. i was repaired in just 10 days and was perfect. so how dad didnt feel good to drive the car . he sold it to my uncle yesterday(12/3/14) and we already had a plan to change our Hyundai i10 with some diesel compact sedan or hatch. so now there no use of buying another hatch. so with a budget of 10-12L we are planning to get a C-segment sedan.

we are considering only diesel and will be using this car for family trips and highway drives! planning to buy in next 4 months. so started the TD for the next car from now on.

i'm considering New Honda City,VW vento, Skoda Rapid and Hyundai Verna(1.6 CRDI)

so the basic requirements are ABS and atleast driver airbags, Music system is not mandatory. we are only 3 people in home, so rear space for the 5th person is not a big problem too

so guys please pour your advice and ideas regarding this and help me choose a perfect ride!

you can give suggestions about other manufactures also. [:)]

Last edited:
Re: Hunt for new car!!

i was repaired in just 10 days and was perfect.
[:)][lol][surprise]

Apart from jokes.
Buy Honda City if you get one. Best car you can buy in 2014. If you live with ok after sales go for Rapid or Volkswagen Vento.

Honda will give good mileage and ABS AND AIRBAG And good resale value.
There will be hardly any car with ABS and without Music System.

Last edited:

Why not Tata Manza. If you need airbag, go for EX model. It has all the features you can imagine. Manza is a tremendous VFM product from Tata stable.

It has Fiat Engine and Gearbox, I never felt any turbo lag. Only issue is Tata name which many people don't like. But, TASS is superb now-a-days.

Refer to the following threads:

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/automotive-shopper/15055-best-entry-level-diesel-sedan.html

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ice-vs-maruti-suzuki-after-sales-service.html

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/indian-auto-news/16094-why-not-tata-cars-personal-use.html

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

in 11-12 lakhs you can get Honda City V model and Hyundai Verna SX.

Advantage of City Over Verna
* Cruise control. ( you can hardly use it on indian roads but a nice feature to have :P )
*Rear Ac vents
*Touch Screen Stereo
*better mileage

Advantage of Verna Over City.
* More Powerful Engine. ( i took a TD of amaze , power was good for the car but can't say how much good is the engine for city )
*Brake Assist ( according to carwale.com)
* 40k cheaper than city ( + ongoing discounts )
* tyre size( 195\55 R16) , i know not a deal breaker but city has skinny tires ( 175\65 R15)[surprise]

Common Features.
* ABS with EBD
* 2 Airbags (6 in verna sx opt)
* Automatic Climate Control
* Great Looks [:D]

no wonder people are choosing the new honda city. i never expected verna will get beaten by features.

TD the cars , check the perfomance , comfort in both the cars and decide [:D]

Last edited:

no tata. dad doesnt want to go for a TATA car.
Then I would suggest for Hyundai. Only Verna comes to my mind with your budget. Honda diesels are with high NVH (at least amaze has high NVH) and Hyundai has much better ASS network.

If your car gets broken down far from city limits, Honda guys will charge you for towing more than 100 km (a very less distance for me since I usually drive more than that every weekend). Also, you will have 1 Honda dealer in your city and getting a second opinion/quotation for any problem later will not be feasible.

In India, I believe in ASS and Hyundai has much better ASS in India than Honda. I would consider buying Honda in US but not here.

BTW, why are you avoiding Tatas? You own Tata Nano it seems. Are you not happy with Tatas?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7

honda city E (base model) comes with ABS EBD and driver airbag.

i have already booked the TD for city online. Verna i'm doing this saturday.

I have Skoda Rapid, the 1.6L engine is very good interms of perfomance but you wont get to speed unless you put you're foot down. The City on other hand is linear. The Verna has slight turbo lag, but its manageable. All three cars are comfortable with City being most spacious.

Rapid suspension is very good at soaking bumps but it does scrap on average speed breakers as does Verna. All three cars ride well, but City & Rapid ride a lot flat at speeds above 100, Verna bounces too much, some person like me suffer from motion sickness. Rapid steering is good but would have liked little more feel, City's steering weighs up nicely according to speed, Verna's steering is completely lifeless. No matter how much features Verna has Rapid & City are certainly better cars.

The only reason for Rapids low sales numbers is Skoda ASS and Dealer Network. The local Skoda dealer sells more Rapid then Vento,Verna every month. Yet it sells less then other 2.

So, it's the 2014 Honda City which in my opinion is the best car in its segment

My choice is simply a new Honda City diesel. Though I have not driven one, but heard from others that it is an excellent buy[:)]

The new model looks elegant to me

Last edited:

Well don't buy a verna. Buy a product which is new in market. I personally do not like rear seat comfort and suspension. It's also not a good handler. City has noise but its worth.
According to me Honda has superior products then Hyundai.

Re: Hunt For New Car!!

^^May it is in reverse at times for example: Honda and Suzuki launch their products elsewhere first and then bring in to India, so it is already tested and proven[:)]

Still its India and there would either be cost cutting measures or something that forces them to cut on something, so it is always advisable to wait for a few months if the car is new. In fact you won't even get offers on newly launched products whereas on older ones you will, though there are still advantages but still its the Indian market.

My advice would be between City and the Verna only.

Volkswagen ; Availability of spares, cost, maintenance, "Sar, this is a German car." attitude will land you into issues in future though the machine is great.
Skoda ; Same as above.

Honda City ; Great engineered car, won't bother you in future. Only thing that you should keep in mind about before buying it is availability of the service center and the dealership's reputation, if that's not a problem it definitely should be the Honda City.

Hyundai Verna (1.6) ; I'd say go for the SX (O), you get more than what is required. Only issue would be , if you're a driving enthusiast, you won't feel it. Otherwise its a great car and there's a reason it was on top of the charts. Plus you will be mostly able to find one or two Hyundai Service Centers nearby to your area so that should also not be a problem to you.

[:D]

Last edited:

Sai, Today I had chance to put myself in driver seat of City diesel. All I can say is simply superb. I have driven Verna and rapid a lot but always Rapid was topper but with less features. City score high marks leaving the rest two behind. Please TD and share your experience. I raise hand for City.

Hunt For New Car!!

2014 City is a good decision to go if you are planning within 4 months.

As someone said Hyundai has better ASS, don't go by this. No wonder roads are full of Honda from 2004. Almost all their models were a hit if not affected by fuel prices.

Honda has shown us to replace parts if found faulty after sales.

however, my choice would be Linea - either Tjet or Multijet. but the rear bench cannot seat 5 as in the City! If 4 is what you need to carry, check this out

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom