Need Advice on Buying the Hyundai i20 Sportz Petrol

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,
This is my very first post on any automotive forum, so pls pardon me for my ignorance .
Let me start by telling you a bit about myself.

I am a 26 year old working professional; recently I have decided to invest in a 4 wheeler to make mine and my parents life a bit comfortable. I am an newbie when it comes to vehiclesand have just recently learned driving and still can be termed as an amateur when it comes to driving. Also, since this would be the first car in our family, I was hoping it be good both in terms of features and driving comforts and safety features

Since my monthly usage is going to be around 300 - 400 kms (mostly city driving within Mumbai) I believe a petrol car would be a better choice. My budget was up to 6 – 7 lakhs on road price. I am looking for a Value for money car that's not going to burn a hole in my pocket when it comes to maintenance.

As per the above requirements and after months of searching, I had shortlisted the following cars:

Honda Brio => While I was not very comfortable with the rear design for this hatch, but after reading rave reviews about the handling and the i-vtec engine decided to give it a shot. While I was mighty impressed with the ride quality, I somehow felt that the interiors were a bit sparse considering the competition. I also did not like the fact that the Honda dealers in Mumbai were not willing to negotiate on the price (OTR – around Rs. 5,68,000 for SMT) for any of the models and were basically giving a take it or leave it offer by saying that Honda is prioritising on the Amaze and City so no discounts on the Brio, which made me a bit angry as till recently as Dec 2013 there were discounts available across all Brio Models.

Honda Amaze => Brio with a boot. My parents were not comfortable with the shape of the compact sedan plus the fact that the necessary safety features were available only in the SMT (O) model which cost around 7.5 L OTR, made me reject it.

Grand i10/ I-20 => I really like this car and I still do and was almost going to finalize the Asta (O) model with ABS and dual airbags when my parents laid their eyes on the i-20 version and instantly liked its front and overall design. Also the fact that putting in about 50K extra (Grand i10 Asta (o) OTR = 6.4 L with no discounts and i-20 sportz = OTR ~ 7L), I would be getting not only a bigger, better looking but also a premium hatchback with the required safety features (ABS + EBD + 1 airbag – I would have loved 2.. but alas), I decided to go ahead and finalise the i-20 Sportz version.

As mentioned, since I am complete noob when it comes to vehicles (the only knowledge I gain is via forums like TIA which I have been reading religiously over the past couple of months), I needed some advice from fellow TIA mates regarding the buying process of a new car. . I am planning to take delivery by this month end i.e during Gudi Padhva.
I have bargaining hard(or atleast I feel so :P) with the Hyundai dealers in Mumbai(read : Modi, Shreenath, Shreeram and Sai Auto) for their best quotes on the i-20 sportz and this is the deal that most of them are offering.
OTR – 7,05,000/-
Gift Cheque – 10,000/-
Corp. Disc – 3,000/-
Acessories => Teflon coat, Mud flaps and mat sets(Given on purchasing the extended warranty) and anti rust coat(single coat – need to get this done every 6-9 months as per a dealer.)
I would like to know a few things regarding the deal :

A)Is this the best deal one can expect in terms of the i-20 at this current moment or is there scope for more cash discounts (most the “big” dealers in Mumbai have flatly refused me a cash discount saying that Hyundai has stopped the practice from 2014 and they attract a huge penalty in caught. Although one dealer is offering me and addition 15K discount above everything – though am not sure of how is he managing the same)

B)What more can I bargain for in terms of accessories as part of the deal if further cash discount is not possible, apart from the above mentioned accessories

C)Any more suggestions in the process for buying the car

P.S : Thanks a lot for bearing with my monologue. Appreciate your valuable comments [:)]

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
welome uno. given your monthly usage , indeed petrol is the way to go.

now coming to grand i10 asta(o) vs i20 sportz.
you have to decide do you really need that extra space that the i20 offers ? since you will use this in city i think grand i10 will suit you more.

easier to park and more fuel efficient than the i20. Also grand i10 comes with better suspension setup. i20 will feel underpowered since it uses the same engine used in i10.

i know haven't said anything good for i20 but grand i10 makes more sense to me for a city car.
you can spend that extra 40 k on other things [;)]

and if you decide to chose the i20 , wait for some time. i have to meet a hyundai executive tomorrow and will confirm the ongoing discounts on i20 for you.

Thread Starter #3
welome uno. given your monthly usage , indeed petrol is the way to go.

now coming to grand i10 asta(o) vs i20 sportz.
you have to decide do you really need that extra space that the i20 offers ? since you will use this in city i think grand i10 will suit you more.

easier to park and more fuel efficient than the i20. Also grand i10 comes with better suspension setup. i20 will feel underpowered since it uses the same engine used in i10.

i know haven't said anything good for i20 but grand i10 makes more sense to me for a city car.
you can spend that extra 40 k on other things [;)]

and if you decide to chose the i20 , wait for some time. i have to meet a hyundai executive tomorrow and will confirm the ongoing discounts on i20 for you.
@allhyundaicars thanks a ton for the same [clap]

I am planning to make the booking early next week so still have time to haggle a lil more with the executives [;)]

Well regarding grand i10 being a better city commuter, I completely agree with you on the same, however I am felt the i20's suspension to be better (drove both on a very patchy road) but well as I said, I am a bit newbie to cars, so leave the judgement to the experts.

I primarily opted for the i20 as its a segment higher and does feel bigger that the grand (atleast from the outside) and more premium(no offence to the grand) plus the fact that my Mom really liked the i20 looks and feel.

I10 grand and i20 use the same engine but there is difference in bhp..i20 is having more bhp than i10 grand..my friend is going to get his grand on coming Monday ,he got it at 6L 5 thousand (sport) model in bangalore after applying tax reduction .
Car feels good..you can consider this.

Last edited:
Hi uno,
I also own an i20 ,I am not happy with its FE. It has good looks , space but very very poor mileage (Around 7-8 KMPL)

I have not driven the grandi10. But going by my friend's impression it is better than than the i20 petrol. i20 petrol seriously lacks that punch. Power just isn't enough for its size. If you could wait I would suggest you to do so. There are many other cars coming in the near future. Keep your eyes on the zest.
Good luck. Make a proper and satisfying choice buddy and welcome to TAI :)

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
so i asked the executive about discounts , he said they are offering 15k cas discounts on the i20 petrol. no discounts on the grand i10.
if your heart says to go for the i20 book it. it's not a bad car after all. [:)]
i test drove the grand i10 just now and the car felt planted , even better than my verna.

and about the other dealer who's giving you more discounts , confirm the car is 2014 model and there should be no issues. Car comes from the same factory [;)] how much difference will be there. chose the dealer who's giving you more discounts.

Hi uno,
I also own an i20 ,I am not happy with its FE. It has good looks , space but very very poor mileage (Around 7-8 KMPL)
i don't know how you get just 7-8 kmpl. my verna gives me 8+ kmpl in summers. i too drive in delhi. my friends i20 gives him 10+ kmpl.

Last edited:
@allhyundaicars - I was saying figures of Autumn or Spring Season. In Summers with AC always on I get 5-6 KMPL[frustration][frustration]. I have recently posted my figures in the thread fuel efficiency of your car. NEVER GOING TO BUY A HYUNDAI.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
@allhyundaicars - I was saying figures of Autumn or Spring Season. In Summers with AC always on I get 5-6 KMPL[frustration][frustration]. I have recently posted my figures in the thread fuel efficiency of your car. NEVER GOING TO BUY A HYUNDAI.
that is just unbelievable. lets not go off topic.

Yes thats unbelievable!! [anger]. Took to service centre in Badli, Hans Hyundai they said car is ok but couldn't find reason. There was a recent increase but slowly back to normal. In Delhi winters I got average mileage of 11-12 KMPL WITH HEATER AND DEFOGGER. The car is at 11k, Will it increase???

Thread Starter #11
so i asked the executive about discounts , he said they are offering 15k cas discounts on the i20 petrol. no discounts on the grand i10.
if your heart says to go for the i20 book it. it's not a bad car after all. [:)]
i test drove the grand i10 just now and the car felt planted , even better than my verna.

and about the other dealer who's giving you more discounts , confirm the car is 2014 model and there should be no issues. Car comes from the same factory [;)] how much difference will be there. chose the dealer who's giving you more discounts.
@allhyundaicars Thanks a ton for checking the discounts on i20.

Just a small query.. would it be possible to provide a breakup of the 15K disc that you mentioned. In Mumbai here, I was quoted a 13K discount (10K Gift Cheque + 3K Corp Disc).

Also, in case of the dealer who is offering me more discounts(to the tune of 12-13K over and above of the normal the 13K discount), if the is an authorised dealer and if he is guaranteeing me a 2014 model, then is it safe to go ahead with him.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
@allhyundaicars Thanks a ton for checking the discounts on i20.

Just a small query.. would it be possible to provide a breakup of the 15K disc that you mentioned. In Mumbai here, I was quoted a 13K discount (10K Gift Cheque + 3K Corp Disc).

Also, in case of the dealer who is offering me more discounts(to the tune of 12-13K over and above of the normal the 13K discount), if the is an authorised dealer and if he is guaranteeing me a 2014 model, then is it safe to go ahead with him.
it was cash discounts. didn't confirm for corporate discounts.

Sorry for the OT-Thats just insane ,when you drive other cars do you get good mileage?(i mean just to clear doubts of driving style)

Your mileage figure is similar to an automatic i10 with ac blowing & decent throttle.

Something is wrong for sure.

Sorry for the OT-Thats just insane ,when you drive other cars do you get good mileage?(i mean just to clear doubts of driving style)

Your mileage figure is similar to an automatic i10 with ac blowing & decent throttle.

Something is wrong for sure.
Yes I get good mileage when I drive my Honda City in Summers around 9-10KMPL.i20 is driven by Driver (60 percent). The car is driven daily for 60 KM. Rest for 2-3 weeks in 2 or 3 months. Weekdays drive most of time.

Hyundai i20 will be replaced by new model later this year, so resale value will take a dip. I seriously wouldn't recommend i20. Try other options, Swift Petrol is good, Amaze is also good, Nissan is offering discounts on Micra Petrol. The only Hyundai i will suggest is Grand i10 Petrol.

Top Bottom