Should I Buy Mahindra XUV500?

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends,

Just joined the forum because of my craze for XUV500. I have been planning to buy XUV500 from last 4-5 months. I started reading about the product on different blogs,forums and got to know that the buyers faced lots of issues with the car including brakes, suspension, engine, some irresistible sounds and many more.

Because of reading about the niggles with the car, i have delaying the plan of buying it as i am not confident in spending 12-13 lacs on W6 if its still facing the issues. So, i thought to join the forum and ask some of the experts and the owners of XUV500 in this forum. Please guide me friends should i go ahead in buying this car, as i would like to keep it for next 8-10 years. It would be good if you all can let me know whether new models are also facing issues as it happened with earlier models.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

HI manrup,

First of all Welcome to the Forum.

XUV500 IMO is one of the best vehicles in India under 15lakhs.
I dont think any of the new batches are facing with any serious issues or even minor niggles.
Mine has done 16000+km (Dec '12 model) without any major issue. you can read more about it in the ownership thread(search for Optimus in the search forum link)

Go for XUV is the only thing i can say. and see if you can stretch your budget to accomodate the W8 as the extra Safety features in that variant is worth much more than the extra 1.5-2 lakhs.

Let me know if you need any specifics.

Edit: I am also planning to keep it for the next 9 years or more if issues are not there. One year already done.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
Thanks for your reply friends.

@Kinshuk--- I actually checked your ownership thread well before joining TAI and is actually pretty happy to see that none of the new members of XUV family are facing any issues.

Well before this i have driven 2nd Generation Honda City for 7 years and was over satisfied with her performance. Honda made me their fan and infact my family want to but the current Gen Honda city , but i would say i got bored with Sedan now and want to have a change.

I have test driven all SUV's 3-4 times and my heart stops whenever i see XUV, u can say i am in love with XUV, but going after some threads, forums and ownership threads i got confused, so thought to come up here and clear my doubts.

Also, would like to know one thing how is the performance of speakers (factory fitted) as i am too fond of music and usually drive car with high Bass songs :P.

For sure, i am trying to stretch the budget to W8, but sometimes i think its not required as we are only 3 members in family. So, please guide W6 will be OK or W8?

@Ankit-- Thanks buddy for your reply. Well you are right, but i am sure my ODO will reach 1 lakh in 8-10 years only because most of my travelling is in city only (say 90%). My monthly travel is around 1000 KMs only.

If your heart says XUV, then go for it. Initial niggles are all sorted out. Few things here and there are possible but not life threatening.

IMO W6 have driver and front passenger airbags and should be enough .

hi Manrup. welcome to TAI. go for it if your heart really yearns. I don't think those small initial niggles in few cars is worth letting go your love for XUV 500. you'll surely not be disappointed with it. even I read quite a few threads on XUV 500 and I've rarely come across cars with problems and owners who are not satisfied. Coming to the Variant, go for the top end if your budget allows you to because you get all the safety features.

If you want to keep it for 8-10 years go for a petrol sedan and diesel running are usually not kept longer then 6 years or 1 lakh odo . Ankit
Are you saying that Petrol engines last longer than their Diesel counterpart? I beg to differ. How buses and trucks are running for years with a daily running of thousand km?

That particular segment and price range has only two SUVs unfortunately XUV and Storme, so you if you like XUV then go with it as it is good buy no doubt about it. Yes the new versions seems to be trouble free and they call it is a crossover so it is not a SUV completely.

But if you can list out your requirements and max budget then, members can suggest what is suitable for you[:)]

Number of people will not matter for the variant.

I suggested W8 majorly for extra safety equipment. But, even if you are not able to stretch budget W6 is quite good as it still has Basic Safety of Dual Air Bags and ABS.

regarding the stock ICE setup it definitely would be needing an upgrade at least speakers, woofer and amps, if you a re huge audiophile for average listeners like me who doesnt even know which frequencies are bass and how to set an equalizer it is good enough.

Since your major driving would be in city XUV is more than enough.

Last edited:
You are in love with the "Cheetah".So nothing else will do and you are not alone. There are a steady 2000+ XUVs being sold every month and for me, there is nothing to brood over at present, be it the the vehicle or the customer support from Mahindra. I don't see any reasons, why this current state deteriorates in the future.

I actually checked your ownership thread well before joining TAI and is actually pretty happy to see that none of the new members of XUV family are facing any issues.
You, yourself have the answer already.
Go get your beauty and live your dream.[:)]

Regarding the variant, it should be the top end W8 as in the future, you don't want to regret your decision of not opting for all the luxuries, since you are going to keep it for some serious time.

Thread Starter #13
Thanks everyone for their views and support. I am checking if i can extend my budget more for W8. I hope i will extend it [;)] ...

@Johnnie Walker ---> i actually took TD of Terrano too. I liked the ride quality but i did not liked the interiors of the car. Also, no features/gizmos present in the car and i felt that its highly overpriced (atleast 1-1.5 lac), so after that i went to TD XUV as i was in love with XUV since it was launched. Meanwhile i was pretty satisified and happy with my Honda City, just sold it to buy some SUV and have a change in life.

I am discussing with my family on requirements of top model and stretching the budget, i hope i will get it extended. I checked today again with Mahindra dealer, the SE told me that M&M has announced cash discount of 12k and stopped 50% discount on Insurance. Will check with one more dealer tomorrow.

Will keep you all posted on the new developments.

if you like xuv, go for it. definately a great car and has the big car feel and looks majestic. I have travelled only once in xuv for a short while, the low speed ride quality is awesome but once above 100, the great quality becomes iffy and vertical movements are felt. but it's only car below 15 lakhs with all gizmos and features. the head lights are awesome.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Welcome to the forums Mate!
my Replies IN LINE
Thanks for your reply friends.

@Kinshuk--- I actually checked your ownership thread well before joining TAI and is actually pretty happy to see that none of the new members of XUV family are facing any issues.

Yeah, Kinshuk has been handling a very hot thread on forums.

I have test driven all SUV's 3-4 times and my heart stops whenever i see XUV, u can say i am in love with XUV, but going after some threads, forums and ownership threads i got confused, so thought to come up here and clear my doubts.

GO for it man! GO GO GO!!

Also, would like to know one thing how is the performance of speakers (factory fitted) as i am too fond of music and usually drive car with high Bass songs :P.

The Default w8 HU is VERY good. However, Mahindra has used small 4 inch paper speaker who can't handle much bass. Be prepared to swap the speakers and you are in! I have installed a 4 channel AMP and Dual subwoofers. and the system rocks like no other.
Link here-
DIY Dual woofer setup (Hidden and Underseat)

For sure, i am trying to stretch the budget to W8, but sometimes i think its not required as we are only 3 members in family. So, please guide W6 will be OK or W8?

@Ankit-- Thanks buddy for your reply. Well you are right, but i am sure my ODO will reach 1 lakh in 8-10 years only because most of my travelling is in city only (say 90%). My monthly travel is around 1000 KMs only.
Good old w6 or W8 debate
Please refer here- (read all links)
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...indra-xuv500-nissan-terrano-2.html#post366761

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...indra-xuv500-nissan-terrano-3.html#post368479

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...indra-xuv500-nissan-terrano-2.html#post366742
My thread-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...oo-detailed-review-decals-audio-led-mods.html

Top Bottom