Amaze SX vs Dzire ZXI - [Edit - Booked Hyundai Xcent SX(O)]

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am confused between Amaze Petrol SX & Dzire ZXI.
Dzire ZXI has all the safety features.
Amaze SX Petrol has ABS but i am not sure if it has ABS with EBD (Only diesel has ABS+EBD).
How much will it affect if it has only ABS & no airbags?
This would be my first car.Any suggestions guys?

Re: Amaze SX vs Dzire ZXI

Go for Honda Amaze ,Better Space ,Honda better quality materials , Good resale value . Do check Expert reviews , Ownership reports in TAI and on net .

I would suggest you to wait for the Tata Zest!
It seems to whole lot better than the Dzire and Amaze.

Amaze for its Space, Reliability and slightly bigger boot.
Dzire for its Refinement, Better Interiors backed up by wide spread ASC.
If its going to be a used in a crawling traffic as city commuter, then its ok to have ABS alone else stretch your budget and go for ABS+Airbag model.
Eventhough mine is a diesel one (ABS+EBD), I found the braking to be really impressive, such that it inspires a lot of confidence on high speed braking. Coupled with 100ps engine , I am fully exploiting its potential[:D]

Thread Starter #5

Go for Honda Amaze ,Better Space ,Honda better quality materials , Good resale value . Do check Expert reviews , Ownership reports in TAI and on net .
Most of the reviews are about Honda Diesel. Couldn't find many about amaze petrol.
In a dilema now. Heart says "Amaze" & mind says "Dzire"

I would suggest you to wait for the Tata Zest!
It seems to whole lot better than the Dzire and Amaze.
I am looking to buy car in coming month.I think TATA will launch it before Diwali...

"The Amaze petrol is powered by the same 1.2 Liter SOHC i-VTEC engine as the Brio. The motor is rated at 87 BHP (@ 6,000 rpm) and 109 Nm of torque (@ 4,500 rpm). When this engine made its India debut on the Jazz, it was rated at 89 BHP (@ 6,200 rpm) and 110 Nm torque (@ 4,800 rpm). There are no changes to the engine, except a slightly different ECU map & gear ratios to improve low end power delivery. It comes with variable valve timing, similar to all other Honda iVTECs. The Amaze petrol is lighter than the Dzire by 10 kilos and enjoys a marginally better power-to-weight ratio. The Etios retains the top spot in the C1 segment with a power-to-weight of 97 BHP / tonne.

Pulling away from a standstill, the motor displays a decent amount of pep. Bottom end behaviour is the same as the Brio, and the Amaze offers above average torque at low rpms. This is no Etios 1.5, but neither will Amaze owners complain of poor driveability. The car is at home in urban traffic conditions. Of course, there is no comparison with its diesel sibling that offers double the torque at a third of the rpm level. The real fun is on the open road (Amaze diesel is quicker though). Like any other Honda, the engine feels eager to revv and is refined even at high rpms. The mid-range & top end is where this motor feels its best. The revv-happiness and performance put a huge grin on your face. You make rapid progress on the open road, and all that's required to overtake fast moving vehicles is a downshift. The engine revvs enthusiastically to ~6,700 rpm, where the electronic rpm limiter cuts in. It is easily capable of going higher up, but Honda's engineers decided otherwise. At 100 km/h in 5th gear, the engine is spinning at 3000 rpm. If I were to rank the petrol engines from the segment, I'd give the Etios petrol / Fiesta Classic the top spot, followed by the Amaze 1.2 and then, the Dzire 1.2.

The bright green ECO light is present on the Amaze petrol too. The car has an ARAI rating of 18 kpl (Brio = 18.4). The Dzire sits a full kpl higher at 19.1.

The Amaze petrol's clutch is super light, noticeably more so than the diesel's, and has a very short throw. As if to match, the gearshift is short & light as well. Overall NVH levels are markedly superior in the petrol. The idle is super silent, engine start / stop is seamless and there are no excessive vibrations felt on the pedals. However, the engine can get fairly vocal at the top-end and the exhaust note is sweet. This is something enthusiasts will appreciate, regular joes might not.

Driving on the highway, it's immediately obvious that the Amaze petrol has a lighter front end. Honda mentioned that the diesel Amaze gets stiffer dampers at the front (to cope with the additional engine weight) too. While the Amaze petrol feels that much more eager to change direction, it feels less planted. The petrol's steering is lighter in the city (a good thing) and it feels lighter over 100 km/h too (a bad thing). In terms of straight-line stability, I prefer the Amaze diesel's behaviour to the petrol. The difference between the two is quite noticeable. The Brio which runs a tauter overall setup is more confidence inspiring at speed. The petrol's short 4.5 meter turning radius is identical to the Brio. No need to make 3-point u turns anywhere! The brakes also feel better due to the engine's lower torque delivery.
Read this Petrol Review from a very popular forum

The bright green ECO light is present on the Amaze petrol too. The car has an ARAI rating of 18 kpl (Brio = 18.4). The Dzire sits a full kpl higher at 19.1.
Brio ARAI of 18.4 kmpl. On the Highways I get 3kpl higher (sure others will to[roll]). 19.5-20 is easy at 3.5k rpms [:D]

Thread Starter #8

Ok Guys... So weekend was for Test Drives.....
Test Drive the following cars (All Petrol cars):
1) Dzire
2) Amaze
3) Fiesta Classic (With the price cut, its affordable)
4) Grand i10

The following are the comments for each:

1) Dzire: I personally did not like it (No offence to anyone). The clutch throw was not that great, Also the shiny dashboard, it was reflecting in sunlight.Rear space was ok.

2) Amaze: Comfortable drive, Good Visibility(Useful as i am a newbie),Superb AC. Interiors are a big let down.

3) Classic: It's amazing to drive, no one can beat it.Car has not been updated since 2006 but still packs a punch.Braking was amazing even in the base model without ABS.Sadly i am not looking for a sedan & wifey did not like the interiors.

4) Grand i10: I found the brakes on Grand to be very sharp, had test drive of sportz model.Top end Petrol was not available for test drive.We are a family of 4 so it should'nt be a problem in grand. But I faced a issue couple of times while slotting the car in First Gear, it refused to go in 1st gear. But after that it was smooth. Anyone else faced such a issue?

Of all of them, have shortlisted Amaze & Grand i10.
Grand i10 Asta(O) Petrol can also fit int the budget.
For Amaze looking out for SX Petrol, but waiting period cannot be guaranteed. Hallmark Honda says, company has announced the variant but delivers cannot be guaranteed as they already have 4-5 bookings from Jan Pending for SX variant.

Guys give your opinion.

For Amaze looking out for SX Petrol, but waiting period cannot be guaranteed. Hallmark Honda says, company has announced the variant but delivers cannot be guaranteed as they already have 4-5 bookings from Jan Pending for SX variant.
Go for Amaze if possible cause as you said you are newbie it will only help you driving in tough conditions . I love engines manufactured by Honda than Hyundai .Amze feels more roomy . I posted the review of petrol Amaze in previous post , I am now posting Grand i10 from the same forum .
Compared to the old i10, power is marginally bumped up to 82 BHP (@ 6,000 rpm) and 114 Nm max torque (@ 4,000 rpm). Unlike the diesel, the petrol starts seamlessly. Torque delivery at low rpms, and within city driving conditions, is satisfactory by petrol standards. The refinement levels are outstanding and power comes in smooth. I didn't observe a single flat-spot in the entire rpm range. Prod the engine further and it's revv-happy nature becomes immediately evident. The 1.2L petrol feels eager on the open road and climbs clean to the 6,600 rpm limit. Where the 1.1L diesel requires you to adopt a sedate driving style, the petrol is energetic and a lot more fun on the highway. There is plenty of mid-range punch. Unlike the diesel, overtaking fast traffic only requires a downshift. Expressway performance is a full level above the diesel i10. That said, the older i10 enjoys a superior power-to-weight ratio, thanks to its lighter kerb weight. The ARAI rating of the new car is 18.9 kpl, that's lower than the 20.36 kpl rating of the 1st-gen i10. 1.5 kpl is quite a difference! While a good part of it could be due to the 75 kilo weight gain, I'm not sure if that's the only reason.

The 1.2L petrol's refinement levels are excellent. There is absolutely no noise or vibration at idle (nearly Chevrolet Beat like). The engine feels smooth when high-revving, though it can get fairly vocal over 5,000 rpm. Enthusiasts will enjoy the engine note. Just like the diesel, the petrol engine is mated to a light clutch & smooth gearbox.

The i10's suspension hardware consists of an independent MacPherson strut layout at the front, and a torsion beam axle at the rear. All 4 dampers (shock absorbers) are gas charged. The focus of Hyundai's engineers was on ride comfort, and owners will be pleased to note that the old i10's bumpiness is history. The Grand i10 has an extremely compliant ride within the city. Bumps are soaked in with a muted thud. After spending some time with the car, I even stopped slowing down for irregularities on the highway. The suspension absorbs small - medium potholes really well. The high speed ride is planted...a lot more so than the more expensive i20! Driving behind our i20 support car on undulating roads, I could see its rear bouncing up & down a lot more than the Grand I was in. From being a disadvantage, the i10's ride quality is now a selling point in the B2 hatchback segment. I must add that the diesel appeared to have a more pliant ride than the petrol. Not sure whether it's due to the added weight up front, or the petrol's tyre pressure (I didn't have a chance to check the PSI). ]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10

Go for Amaze if possible cause as you said you are newbie it will only help you driving in tough conditions . I love engines manufactured by Honda than Hyundai .Amze feels more roomy . I posted the review of petrol Amaze in previous post , I am now posting Grand i10 from the same forum .
Thanks Ankit for both the reviews you have posted .
Yes i agree, Amaze is more roomy than the competition. I am in touch with the sales exec for the SX model.I feel that safety features will always be good to have.If only Honda would have provided better interiors, no one would have preferred Dzire..

The only reason for me to check grand i10 was the space & the features it provides(Typical Hyundai).Also the waiting period on the car is not much (Maybe 2 weeks). But I am not sure about Hyundai's maintenance. Read somewhere that's its on the higher side. I might keep this car with me for 5 years or so.

Hi , For more than 5 years car Honda has better reliability . Yes maintenance of Hyundai is sometimes on higher side .

Between dezire and amaze, latter is the better option. Also if you have the budget go for Airbags + ABS. All the best.

Top Bottom