Brio Vs Swift vs Ritz - Petrol

Thread Starter #1
Hello Team,

I am planning to buy a car. budget is max 5l on road price. I have shortlisted three
a) Honda Brio - SMT - here I am getting a fully loaded car with in my budget
b) Swift - LXI - basic features
C) Ritz VXI - will most of the features.

My confusion is on the ASS & spare parts cost/maintenance. I heard that the Honda cars really expensive to afford. is this true?

Need your help. Thanks.

The versions that you have mentioned, nothing will come under 5lc. Price will vary between 5.1 to 5.2 lac per annum.

I heard that the Honda cars really expensive to afford. is this true.
Welcome to TAI , First Post !
It can be true and false . Exterior and Parts are not expensive . Sometimes Engine Parts are expensive . I own A Honda city and ASS is good .You must read ownership reviews of Brio .

My option Brio anytime . [:)]

Honda petrol is of course class leading. Swift has a better engine and driving comfort than ritz. So swift will be a bit costlier. Now, look wise I would personally prefer ritz among the three. Coming to ASS, I've never heard anyone complaining about honda, though I myself am not happy with maruti ASS (I don't have a honda car). I personally don't prefer honda since there are less ASS and all within big city limits. I'll be at a mess if a Honda car betrays when I am far from big city for a long drive, God only can save me. Don't buy those craps of towing facilities etc. They are chargeable beyond 100 km of distance. Also, if you need a second opinion about any problem in future you won't get that easily without travelling lots of km which may not be feasible since your car would not be in proper conditions and that's why you wanted second opinion. So I always prefer maruti and tata. Hyundai is not VFM and costly. May be that's why I have alto and manza.
Maruti has very good resale value and hence being with Maruti is preferable. If you want features go for ritz, if you want driving pleasure go for swift. If you are rich and can afford to live with the problems I mentioned, go for brio.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
The versions that you have mentioned, nothing will come under 5lc. Price will vary between 5.1 to 5.2 lac per annum.
Thanks ..but the new on road price - delhi is
A) Swift - LXI - 495000
B) Brio SMT - 494000
C) Ritz VXI - ~4940000 ( after 20k discount)

It can be true and false . Exterior and Parts are not expensive . Sometimes Engine Parts are expensive . I own A Honda city and ASS is good .You must read ownership reviews of Brio .

Thank you...pleasure is all mine....if you can guide me on FE that will be really helpful.

sambit_mech - Thanks for your points...this will be my first car..hence I am planning to chose b/w these three. however. if you can guide me FE on Ritz & swift. that will be really helpful. also for ritz i m worried about resale price...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #7
You can look into new Celerio. It has got a happy smiling look and comes under 5lc for vxi version.
Yes certainly.....but per me Celerio MT is little over priced as it has 1lt. engine which is same as alto k10 & wagon r. also my friends as suggesting me not to go for a 1lt. engine for little bit difference on price..

Thanks....will check that for sure...

Honda petrol is of course class leading. Swift has a better engine and driving comfort than ritz. So swift will be a bit costlier. Now, look wise I would personally prefer ritz among the three. Coming to ASS, I've never heard anyone complaining about honda, though I myself am not happy with maruti ASS (I don't have a honda car). I personally don't prefer honda since there are less ASS and all within big city limits. I'll be at a mess if a Honda car betrays when I am far from big city for a long drive, God only can save me. Don't buy those craps of towing facilities etc. They are chargeable beyond 100 km of distance. Also, if you need a second opinion about any problem in future you won't get that easily without travelling lots of km which may not be feasible since your car would not be in proper conditions and that's why you wanted second opinion. So I always prefer maruti and tata. Hyundai is not VFM and costly. May be that's why I have alto and manza.
Maruti has very good resale value and hence being with Maruti is preferable. If you want features go for ritz, if you want driving pleasure go for swift. If you are rich and can afford to live with the problems I mentioned, go for brio.
Thanks - can you please tell me on the FE for ritz & swift. Also this would be my first car. so cindering that which you think would be a good option..it should not cost more on maintenance/ spare parts.

can you please tell me on the FE for ritz & swift. Also this would be my first car. so cindering that which you think would be a good option..it should not cost more on maintenance/ spare parts.
FE would be similar. Now, as a first car I would prefer the less costlier one, and that is Ritz. I said Swift is costlier since Swift LXi and Ritz VXi are similarly priced.

Ritz will surely have less maintenance and parts cost, but remember Swift will be finer to drive since you would pay more for maintenance and parts. As the saying goes, you get what you reap. I mean, if you put more money to reap better, of course you will be able to enjoy directly proportional to the value of the money you had put.

Now, for first car buyers having a smaller car means easier manueveribility and hence less scratches/dents. After years of driving experience, even big sedans are easy to park. No offense meant to anyone.

Go for fully loaded Ritz, boss! You would enjoy till your monthly running doesn't cross 1200km. That time, you will see your pocket burning with a petrol car. That's why I bought Manza Diesel though I have nicely maintained Alto. BTW, Alto is used by my parents now-a-days to travel short distances only when I am away with my Manza.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
FE would be similar. Now, as a first car I would prefer the less costlier one, and that is Ritz. I said Swift is costlier since Swift LXi and Ritz VXi are similarly priced.

Ritz will surely have less maintenance and parts cost, but remember Swift will be finer to drive since you would pay more for maintenance and parts. As the saying goes, you get what you reap. I mean, if you put more money to reap better, of course you will be able to enjoy directly proportional to the value of the money you had put.

Now, for first car buyers having a smaller car means easier manueveribility and hence less scratches/dents. After years of driving experience, even big sedans are easy to park. No offense meant to anyone.

Go for fully loaded Ritz, boss! You would enjoy till your monthly running doesn't cross 1200km. That time, you will see your pocket burning with a petrol car. That's why I bought Manza Diesel though I have nicely maintained Alto. BTW, Alto is used by my parents now-a-days to travel short distances only when I am away with my Manza.
Even I personally liked the car - Ritz. Also might get a good deal for 2013 model. is there any harm/loss on taking 2013 model car. how much more discounts I can expect ( getting 20k on 2014 model).
What are the things need to check on the cars before taking delivery.

A) Swift - LXI - 495000
B) Brio SMT - 494000

Thank you...pleasure is all mine....if you can guide me on FE that will be really helpful.

sambit_mech - Thanks for your points...this will be my first car..hence I am planning to chose b/w these three. however. if you can guide me FE on Ritz & swift. that will be really helpful. also for ritz i m worried about resale price...
The prices was Kolkata price, so a bit higher than Delhi. But as you mentioned comparing those prices seemed too lower.
I am also contemplating as you, Brio ExMT price is 4,92,000 with RSA and extended warranty. SMT must be atleast 40k higher. Ritz LXI - 5,05,000, Swift VXI - 5,63,000. If you can check the prices once again.

What about Honda resale value, there should not be any issue.

is there any harm/loss on taking 2013 model car.
If it's December/November, 2013 and you are getting a mouth-watering deal, go for that. But going for October, 2013 or before would not be advisable.

Remember that second hand car buyers count on manufacturing month and not the invoicing month. But, one can always hope for getting a foolish buyer stressing upon invoicing month. And, believe me finding such people is not too tough.

how much more discounts I can expect ( getting 20k on 2014 model).
I won't settle for anything less than 50k for taking 2013 car instaed of 2014 car. Remember to get your resale value affected heavily.

If you are going to keep the car loooong time, you may go down up to 35k but not anything less than that.

What are the things need to check on the cars before taking delivery.
1. Have everything written on dealership's letterhead about the price, accessories, extended warranty, Insurance, Road Tax, Registration et. al. along with committed date of delivery, month of car manufacture, color of car etc. etc. I mean everything should be written, otherwise those salemen will try to take you for a ride if you have got a real good deal.
2. Have the PDI done in front of you. During PDI, check for any body scratch/dent/rust. Also, have a look at the underbody for any damage/scratch/dent/rust. Underbody damage may void warranties of that part at times. Check whether each and every feature of the car (refer to brochure) is working fine. Drive the car with windows down and check for any noise, gear problem, left/right pull etc. Also drive the car with Windows up and AC on to check for any foul smell coming out of AC vent or not.
3. Last but not the least, collect the VIN no. and check from Vehice History and Vin /Chasis Number check My Vehicle Details website. Mods! Please delete the website name if it's a violation of TAI policy, sorry for not being sure about it. If the link is deleted, please post your VIN no. and forum membrs will be able to tell you very easily.
4. At the time of delivery, make sure that you have got all the papers - car user manual along with free service coupons, Raod Tax paid, blue book, Insurance papers, extended warranty booklet (if opted for), invoice matching the total money paid etc.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
Really thanks for detailed information....I will talk to the sales person today...will update you on the 2013 deal...once again thank you so much...

If it's December/November, 2013 and you are getting a mouth-watering deal, go for that. But going for October, 2013 or before would not be advisable.

Remember that second hand car buyers count on manufacturing month and not the invoicing month. But, one can always hope for getting a foolish buyer stressing upon invoicing month. And, believe me finding such people is not too tough.

I won't settle for anything less than 50k for taking 2013 car instaed of 2014 car. Remember to get your resale value affected heavily.

If you are going to keep the car loooong time, you may go down up to 35k but not anything less than that.

1. Have everything written on dealership's letterhead about the price, accessories, extended warranty, Insurance, Road Tax, Registration et. al. along with committed date of delivery, month of car manufacture, color of car etc. etc. I mean everything should be written, otherwise those salemen will try to take you for a ride if you have got a real good deal.
2. Have the PDI done in front of you. During PDI, check for any body scratch/dent/rust. Also, have a look at the underbody for any damage/scratch/dent/rust. Underbody damage may void warranties of that part at times. Check whether each and every feature of the car (refer to brochure) is working fine. Drive the car with windows down and check for any noise, gear problem, left/right pull etc. Also drive the car with Windows up and AC on to check for any foul smell coming out of AC vent or not.
3. Last but not the least, collect the VIN no. and check from Vehice History and Vin /Chasis Number check My Vehicle Details website. Mods! Please delete the website name if it's a violation of TAI policy, sorry for not being sure about it. If the link is deleted, please post your VIN no. and forum membrs will be able to tell you very easily.
4. At the time of delivery, make sure that you have got all the papers - car user manual along with free service coupons, Raod Tax paid, blue book, Insurance papers, extended warranty booklet (if opted for), invoice matching the total money paid etc.

Hope this helps.
The prices was Kolkata price, so a bit higher than Delhi. But as you mentioned comparing those prices seemed too lower.
I am also contemplating as you, Brio ExMT price is 4,92,000 with RSA and extended warranty. SMT must be atleast 40k higher. Ritz LXI - 5,05,000, Swift VXI - 5,63,000. If you can check the prices once again.

What about Honda resale value, there should not be any issue.
Have you checked the new prices ( after ex. duty reduced)
Prices are correct per my knowledge --except brio others price are inclusive of all.( delhi reg.).
for brio one need to pay ~11k more more extended warranty & RSA. so price would be 4.94+ 11 = 5.05.

MSIL have a good resale values I guess. experts can provide a better idea on this.

Is Brio SMT top variant? Means does it includes ABS /Airbags/HU/ etc. ? If yes then look no further get the brio. Swift although is leader and provide you nothing in L variant apart from engine, wheels and steering.

A) Swift - LXI - 495000
B) Brio SMT - 494000

Brio FE is consistent of around 12-16 in city driving conditions on Highways it is much better.
Following threads with title may help you for more details on Brio:
"My Honda Brio SMT Rallye Red"
"Honda Brio Problems & Solutions"
For FE refer "Fuel Efficiency Figures of Your Cars"

Have you checked the new prices ( after ex. duty reduced)
Prices are correct per my knowledge --except brio others price are inclusive of all.( delhi reg.).
for brio one need to pay ~11k more more extended warranty & RSA. so price would be 4.94+ 11 = 5.05.

MSIL have a good resale values I guess. experts can provide a better idea on this.
In the month of September 2013 i have purchased Swift Lxi and its absolutely pleasure to drive in Highway as well in city.City FE is near about 13-14kmpl and in 2000km highway trip to Vizag from kolkata i have got 21kmpl[clap].MSIL car is having always better resale value compare to other brands as i can differentiate the same because earlier i was having FORD and prior to that Maruti Esteem[embarass]

Top Bottom