Hunting a Good Petrol Hatch / Sedan. New OR Used

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Friends,
Need your genuine suggestions on buying a good petrol sedan/hatchback, new or used would do.
After using Liva diesel for a year, I decided to sell off my car as my wife and my daughter were not at all comfortable in Liva. Though the car was very good, cheap to run and maintain.

My daily use is 50 kms max in city driving and almost 150kms on alternate weekends on highway. I drive with 100% AC ON condition.

Need --
1. Very comfortable hatch/sedan
2. Used/New would do
3. ONLY Petrol
4. Good visibility all round
5. No mechanical problems
6. Preferably automatic
7. Easy to maintain
8. Has to have ABS, AIRBAGS, no car without this would do
9. Good power and decent mileage

All points are important except 6(nice to have). Budget around 11 lacs. A bit here and there.
A must have from my daughter's perspective. Guess what, TOP WINDOW aka sunroof and points 1 and 6.[:)]

Awaiting your genuine replies.

Re: Hunting a good petrol Hatch/Sedan. New OR Used

Honda City comes into my mind seeing your requirements. But with a daily running of 50km why do you prefer a Petrol?

Friends,
Need your genuine suggestions on buying a good petrol sedan/hatchback, new or used would do.
After using Liva diesel for a year, I decided to sell off my car as my wife and my daughter were not at all comfortable in Liva. Though the car was very good, cheap to run and maintain.

My daily use is 50 kms max in city driving and almost 150kms on alternate weekends on highway. I drive with 100% AC ON condition.

Need --
1. Very comfortable hatch/sedan
2. Used/New would do
3. ONLY Petrol
4. Good visibility all round
5. No mechanical problems
6. Preferably automatic
7. Easy to maintain
8. Has to have ABS, AIRBAGS, no car without this would do
9. Good power and decent mileage

All points are important except 6(nice to have). Budget around 11 lacs. A bit here and there.
A must have from my daughter's perspective. Guess what, TOP WINDOW aka sunroof and points 1 and 6.[:)]

Awaiting your genuine replies.
With around 1500 km per month, why petrol? Saying this since your reqmnt 9 says that you want decent mileage, that is, don't want to burn your pocket too much during running.

Also, it seems to me that you don't keep your car for long and hence resale value should matter to you. With your arnd 11L on-road car, it would be tough to sell petrol cars.

Now since you won't keep your car for long, I would suggest you for a used car to have the initial high depreciation absorbed by first owner. Also, you will get a much better car with 11L if that's used.

Just google for used car pune and see what all options you get there. After that you can post here few options you are getting and ask forum members to suggest. Here is link for Used 2007 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Petrol with 57,572 km on odo with a selling price of 10.9 L:

Used 2007 Mercedes-Benz E-Class 280 Elegance [2005-2008] (D545479) for sale in Pune - CarWale

It's just an example I found by googling within few moments. You can find more by googling. Of course, you have to go, see, analyze the car you would buy. But since you don't keep your car for long, lateral upgrades will make more sense for you.

Last but not the least, keep us posted about your decission.

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
With around 1500 km per month, why petrol? Saying this since your reqmnt 9 says that you want decent mileage, that is, don't want to burn your pocket too much during running.

Also, it seems to me that you don't keep your car for long and hence resale value should matter to you. With your arnd 11L on-road car, it would be tough to sell petrol cars.

Now since you won't keep your car for long, I would suggest you for a used car to have the initial high depreciation absorbed by first owner. Also, you will get a much better car with 11L if that's used.

Just google for used car pune and see what all options you get there. After that you can post here few options you are getting and ask forum members to suggest. Here is link for Used 2007 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Petrol with 57,572 km on odo with a selling price of 10.9 L:

Used 2007 Mercedes-Benz E-Class 280 Elegance [2005-2008] (D545479) for sale in Pune - CarWale

It's just an example I found by googling within few moments. You can find more by googling. Of course, you have to go, see, analyze the car you would buy. But since you don't keep your car for long, lateral upgrades will make more sense for you.

Last but not the least, keep us posted about your decission.
Look at point 7. Do you really think it will be easy to maintain , the maintenance cost will be too much high if compared to a new car in the range of 10 lakhs.

Anyways, amiti, if you want a hatch automatic go for polo tsi. It won't have sunroof. It will cost around 9.5 lakhs. Though you might feel lack of space at the rear.

In 11 lakhs you can buy the top model manual honda city petrol having sunroof.

If I were you i'd buy the honda city petrol. Many says that it returns 14kmpl in city traffic so 50kms a day won't be too much expensive to run.

Last edited:
Look at point 7. Do you really think it will be easy to maintain , the maintenance cost will be too much high if compared to a new car in the range of 10 lakhs.
But the total cost of ownership will be less for used car since I think Amit won't keep the car for long.

Anyways, amiti, if you want a hatch automatic go for polo tsi. It won't have sunroof. It will cost around 9.5 lakhs. Though you might feel lack of space at the rear.
Yes, getting the sun-roof is a challenge.

In 11 lakhs you can buy the top model manual honda city petrol having sunroof.
Sun-roof with automatic transmission is a challenge.

If I were you i'd buy the honda city petrol. Many says that it returns 14kmpl in city traffic so 50kms a day won't be too much expensive to run.
14 kmpl! I don't believe. May be I am a guy who don't believe anyone and so why believe Honda even? [evil]

BTW, I myself bought Manza Diesel though I have Alto giving 15 kmpl mileage in City with around 1500 km/month of running. Although, preferences/spending habits do differ. What I mean is even with 14 kmpl, will it too economical to run petrol when also reselling a petrol sedan would be tough?

Honda City diesel has higher NVH. If I were you, I would have bought SX4 since it's a big car and have good resale value. But sunroof and automatic transmission won't be there. [cry] Remember, Maruti cars hold highest resale value.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
But the total cost of ownership will be less for used car since I think Amit won't keep the car for long.

14 kmpl! I don't believe. May be I am a guy who don't believe anyone and so why believe Honda even? [evil]

BTW, I myself bought Manza Diesel though I have Alto giving 15 kmpl mileage in City with around 1500 km/month of running. Although, preferences/spending habits do differ. What I mean is even with 14 kmpl, will it too economical to run petrol when also reselling a petrol sedan would be tough?

Honda City diesel has higher NVH. If I were you, I would have bought SX4 since it's a big car and have good resale value. But sunroof and automatic transmission won't be there. [cry] Remember, Maruti cars hold highest resale value.
ok so what do you think he will get after selling a second hand car :P it will be a third hand car.

2 of my friends have honda city , both returns 8-12kmpl in summers. my petrol fluidic verna returns the same but on the fuel efficiency thread many members said that they are getting amazing mileage with their city's. don't know. if city can give 14 , brio should give 20.

diesel top end will cost upwards of 13 lakhs , the model having the sunroof.

and sx4 is too old. enough said [:D]

Thread Starter #7
Thank you, Friends.

Adding few points for clarification.

I did see grand i10, looked good and improved than the previous gen i10. However hyundai has skipped ABS and Airbags from automatic asta version[surprise].

If new Hatchback, below are the preferences --
1. Micra cvt
2. hyundai i10 grand auto, provided they offer me ABS and Airbags

If new sedan, below are the preferences --
1. City CVT vx
2. Vento Tsi
3. Etios V

If used--
Hatchback --
less used micra cvt
facelifted i10 auto asta
Sedan --
11-13 yr date manufactured,
City
Corolla

@amiti, what is your budget ?

Edit - Saw your budget 11 lacs

Running around 1500 km per month surely will be more economical to run in diesel cars. Since you will do substantial highway drive also, I would recommend a sedan/suv with Airbag and ABS.

One of the best cars to suit you is VW Vento/Skoda Rapid(D). With latest price cut and discounts will well fit in your budget.

Last edited:
If new Hatchback, below are the preferences --
1. Micra cvt
2. hyundai i10 grand auto, provided they offer me ABS and Airbags

If new sedan, below are the preferences --
1. City CVT vx
2. Vento Tsi
3. Etios V

If used--
Hatchback --
less used micra cvt
facelifted i10 auto asta
Sedan --
11-13 yr date manufactured,
City
Corolla
Since you are coming from Liva, it won't be a proper upgrade when you are going for above mentioned hatches. Moreover, your budget can buy a better sedan than these hence within the above mentioned sedan, my choice would be ANHC ofcourse since it has everything you need. If you are looking at used ones around 11L then Laura 1.8Tsi will be even better if you can find. Regarding Corolla, many have complained about the insufficient power but apart from that it seems to be a good reliable one especially ride quality atleast according to owners.

Thread Starter #10
@amiti, what is your budget ?

Edit - Saw your budget 11 lacs

Running around 1500 km per month surely will be more economical to run in diesel cars. Since you will do substantial highway drive also, I would recommend a sedan/suv with Airbag and ABS.

One of the best cars to suit you is VW Vento/Skoda Rapid(D). With latest price cut and discounts will well fit in your budget.
Ansuhman, kartik -- I am sure that I will stick to petrol. The reason I sold Liva was of the diesel noise and smell. Otherwise it's the most practical hatchback on road today minus comfort.

Regarding budget, my max budget is 11 lacs. I can even buy car of 7.5 lacs if maximum parameters of mine are fulfilled.

From hatchback category, I have liked Micra CVT as it comes fully loaded minus fog lamps. However the A.S.S. is what I am not sure of. Friends with Nissan vehicles please comment. If grand i10 would have had come with ABS and airbags, I would have had gone for that.

From sedan, I will mostly look at Honda cvt or vento Tsi. From used sedan cars I am open for honda city, corolla. Not sure of SX4.

In your budget following automatic cars can fit in
1)Swift Dezire AT
2)Honda AMAze AT
3)Ford Fiesta
4)Nissan Sunny
5)Renault Scala
6)VolksWagen Vento.
7)Ford Fiesta.

Would request you to go and Test Drive as much as you can. The catch is all TD vehicles may be diesel as diesel vehicles sell more in this segment. My take on these cars are as follows
VFM-Swift Dezire/Honda Amaze.
Fun to Drive :-Fird Fiesta
Spacious:Renault Scala/Nissan Sunny
Classy:-Vento

[cheers]

Ansuhman, kartik -- I am sure that I will stick to petrol. The reason I sold Liva was of the diesel noise and smell. Otherwise it's the most practical hatchback on road today minus comfort.

Regarding budget, my max budget is 11 lacs. I can even buy car of 7.5 lacs if maximum parameters of mine are fulfilled.
Err.. I dont know you have driven any other diesel car than Liva. I agree some diesel cars are noisy (e.g. Polo/Vento/Rapid/Beat) but smell is not there in any of the modern day diesel cars, specially with AC on.

I would recommend you to TD any of the Fiat MJD cars (Ertiga/Dzire/Manza/Linea/Punto) and see the noise effect. In my Manza NVH is much lesser compared to any other diesel cars.

If you are going for AT , try Micra/Vento/Amaze/New City

Hii , Go for Honda City CVT , It will never disappoint you . It is best car according to your suggestions . Also see other automatic cars like Honda Brio automatic , Volkswagen Vento automatic.

I have Nissan or Renault cars due to their poor after sales, New car manufactures to India , Future Scope a ?

From sedan, I will mostly look at Honda cvt or vento Tsi. From used sedan cars I am open for honda city, corolla. Not sure of SX4.
VW Vento has such a great engine + gearbox combo but what keeps me from recommending that is the reliability issue. Go for the maximum you can afford since its always better to have a Better one than just meeting your requirements[;)].

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom