Tata Manza vs. Hyundai i20

Thread Starter #1
I own a Tata Manza VX (Diesel with ABS) which is a month old. One of my colleagues own i20 diesel whom I met day before yesterday and he was talking about how i20 is better than Tata Manza.

So I thought to start a thread so that fellow TAIers can refer to this thread in case anyone wants to choose between Manza and i20.

Here is what he said:

1. Hyundai cars are cheaper to maintain and has more dependability. So Tata cars are not VFM. He says Tata's philosophy is sell with lesser price and then make money in maintenance. My Take: All ASS guys are waiting for looting us and if one allows they will surely loot us. I am very happy with Tata ASS and it's better than Maruti ASS (since I own Alto also for last 7+ yrs) but don't have first hand experience with Hyundai ASS.

2. The space and comfort of Manza will be offset by high maintenance cost. My Take: I don't agree. Refer point 1.

3. When I switched the ignition on, the heater light glowed and it took around 3 secs to go off. User manual says to switch on the engine after heater light goes away. He said no such hiccups with i20. Is it correct or he is aware of it? He was saying that such heater stuff he had with his amby when he was in his college (arnd 20 yrs ago). In an essene, he was trying to point out how Tatas are not upgrading with technologies. My Take: Engine is from Fiat and is Fiat so much Technically backward? I think i20 also has similar stuff. But, only i20 owners can comment on this.

4. Since Manza diesel has Turbo, user manual says to put in 1st/reverse gear after 30 secs of engine on and also to swith off the engine 30 secs after the car is stand-still. My Query: Does Manza diesel owners follow it? Is there something like this with i20 also?

BTW, when I give the ignition on, heater light comes on and goes off within 5 secs. One of my colleagues said that as ridiculous with Tatas since he has no such heater it seems. He uses Hyundai i20 diesel. Is it true or is he missing out something? Mine is also diesel and I thought all diesel cars will have the same heater stuff which may be read as issue by someone.
I think you are talking about the glow-plug right? AFAIK all the diesel engines have glow-plug. My ecosport TDCi is also having glow-plug. I have seen in many indica's that the glow plug comes on and after 4 - 5 seconds it goes off. After that the driver starts the car. Also, i am damn sure your friend's I20 is also having glow plug. But the glow plug light does not come on because the glow plugs in ecosport or I20 immediately gets heated up when we turn the key to the ignition position. So no need to wait for 4 - 5 seconds before cranking the engine. May be in case of Manza the glow plug needs some time to heated up.

Also, user manual of Manza says to wait for 30 secs after starting the engine and before putting 1st/reverse gear as the case may be. Also, to wait for 30 secs after stopping your car and putting ignitionoff. This is for long life of the Turbo. Curious to know whether other Manza owners follow this?
For any turbo engine please follow this 30 seconds rule to take care of the turbo.

Last edited:
I own a Tata Manza VX (Diesel with ABS) which is a month old. One of my colleagues own i20 diesel whom I met day before yesterday and he was talking about how i20 is better than Tata Manza.

So I thought to start a thread so that fellow TAIers can refer to this thread in case anyone wants to choose between Manza and i20.

Here is what he said:

1. Hyundai cars are cheaper to maintain and has more dependability. So Tata cars are not VFM. He says Tata's philosophy is sell with lesser price and then make money in maintenance. My Take: All ASS guys are waiting for looting us and if one allows they will surely loot us. I am very happy with Tata ASS and it's better than Maruti ASS (since I own Alto also for last 7+ yrs) but don't have first hand experience with Hyundai ASS.

2. The space and comfort of Manza will be offset by high maintenance cost. My Take: I don't agree. Refer point 1.

3. When I switched the ignition on, the heater light glowed and it took around 3 secs to go off. User manual says to switch on the engine after heater light goes away. He said no such hiccups with i20. Is it correct or he is aware of it? He was saying that such heater stuff he had with his amby when he was in his college (arnd 20 yrs ago). In an essene, he was trying to point out how Tatas are not upgrading with technologies. My Take: Engine is from Fiat and is Fiat so much Technically backward? I think i20 also has similar stuff. But, only i20 owners can comment on this.

4. Since Manza diesel has Turbo, user manual says to put in 1st/reverse gear after 30 secs of engine on and also to swith off the engine 30 secs after the car is stand-still. My Query: Does Manza diesel owners follow it? Is there something like this with i20 also?
i20 is an expensive luxury hatch and manza is VFM luxury sedan.
Both boast of luxury and hoards and loads of features. Hyundai though looks more upmarket and mantains a better brand image.
But here is my take. TATA is improving rapidly and is at par with international stuff. Niggles associated with TATAs have reduced over years. they are emphasizing more on A.S.S.

Hyundai on other hand is feature rich, but its service costs are real high. Not as much as europeans but with Asian standards it is high. This i say by experience of having 2 hyundais in my family. You can read more on my experience here at http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ave-i-been-too-patient-hyundai-servicing.html

Tata suffers from poor brand image, but if you can ignore that, IMPO manza is better than i20.

Thread Starter #4
Dear TAIers! I'm seeing this thread dying prematurely with only a couple of replies! [cry]

It would be nice to have discussions about Tata Manza vs Hyundai i20. Though one is sedan and another is hatchback, but they offer comparable features in similar price-band.

I dont think anyone who is really interested in buying a car would look at such a comparision in the first place. Its comparing apples and oranges.
Manza has just about everything else going for it, inspite of Tata's iffy Aftersales service. The only thing that Hyundai may have are fancy looking displays, but Manza also covers the essentials I guess.
I20 is an over-rated hatch and Manza an under-rated sedan IMO.

Just ask him the service receipt and then show him yours and let him decide which is cheaper to maintain.

Although one may have to visit TASS few more times that I20, but I wont term it as high maintenance cost until everything is sorted out within warranty. But after warranty as well IMO TATA spare parts are cheaper.

Happens in my Punto as well. Glow plugs in all Diesel cars and every one have to do it. It is recommended.

Please follow 30 seconds idle policy for betterment of the life of your car engine.

And if he further stresses on things, ask him about how steering feels at higher speed? What about extra soft suspensions at cost or ride quality and handling at higher speeds?

Last edited:
Well, let me comment on this. Perfect thread since I am also on same boat.

Did my Manza OJT 4th Service (21K) over last weekend. What all were done ?

- Oil Change (Fully Synthetic)
- Oil Filter Change
- Air Filter Change
- Fuel(Diesel) Filter Change
- Oil/Lubricants Top up (FOC)
- Cleaning/Polishing(using 3M material) - (FOC)

And bill ? Rs 6500/- only. Ask any Hyundai owner (Verna/i20) for 20k service charges and the breakup.

My uncle uses an old Santro (8 year old, 65K done), its last service bill was 10K.

One of my friends (in Kolkata) has 120 Asta (P) he wants to get rid of it due to service costs. He is not getting any price after 4 years.

Personally, I have driven the Topend Club Class Manza, and MAN! the drive was JUST SUPERB! though the TD lasted only for around 10KMs and 30 min. I was simply awed with the interiors and features offered. HVAC, Tilt steering, touch screen 2DIN integrated music system. Steering controls. AC was powerful and cooled car instantly within minutes. (Noon sun in hyderabad) Space is unparalled. The Driver information seperate console and Plum/Black interior.

What more do you ask for in a Budget Luxury car? Engine is powerful (Fiat 1.3 Qjet) I guess Its more than sufficient. I would not want to look at anyother car. Boot (I can sleep in that big boot)

However, I already have a Storme and cannot afford another car at this point in time. But this is one car you cannot overlook.

Never checked i20 so closely though. But at the face of it it seems to be an expensive proposition.

Mate Tata Manza is a sedan and you are comparing it to a Hatch ?

Less money to actually produce a hatch then a sedan but hyundai is more expensive so now you understand why they put the fancy stuff ? Its actually your money.
value for money from what I see is Tata Manza. I'd support India then Korea :p

To be frank if you are trying to compare amongst the engine, I would say Hyundai's has a little more advantage on TML. In terms of space Manza lead away, but this might not be the point to compare as both the car fall in different segment. Hyundai and TATA are almost equal in maintenance. The major reason behind TML has less brand value as the most of their SOLD passenger car are used for TAXI purpose.

To gain brand value TATA is moving to launch model like BOLT, ZEST which you will see in this year end.

Auto Expo 2014: Tata Bolt photo gallery | AUTO EXPO 2014 | Autocar India
2014 Tata Zest First Look Review | MotorBeam – Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

I havent currently own both the brands as of now

my dad had two tata indica's during 2002 used as call taxi, both served the purpose well and maintance is such cheeper where in hyundai cant come closer

since past 9 years my daily commuting to office is indicab (office provided cab)
i would say during this phase tata interior quality is improved well, but you cant expect it to be on par with i20 which is almost 2 lakhs more than manza price.

here is my rating
Price: manza
comfort: manza
quality: i20 is at the best but to the cost manza (acceptable quality at affordable price)
gadgettery: i20
tech things : i20
safety: am dumb and i believe a sedan is more safer than a hatch or SUV and am not sure as both comes with ABS EBD, airbags (no idea who has more bags)
manitance and cost of ownership: manza
Looks (are subjective) and style: i20 wins

oneliner: manza is like a samsung android phone and i20 is like a iphone

comparing i20 and manza, hyundai cars have maintaince cost generally as the ownership goes on. spares are costly. tata products are like a gambling. i know a neighbour who has hell lot of issues with his new vista tech and a neighbour has 3 liter dicor safari which has done 1,76,000 and is running like a magic even today. he keeps on talking and he won't stop even if i ask him to stop. there is a 2008 indigo which is reliable over 1 lakh kilometers. so reliability is a gamble.

tata show room experiences and after sales and services are improving a lot now days but no way near maruthi. Hyundai is known for marketing and show room experience is good.

so it's manza over i20 due to reasons:

* better rear bench.
* better ride quality.
technical and gizmos wise i20 is leagues ahead of manza. but price wise manza is a good deal

First of all i think this comparison is silly

Answer to point 3-All diesel cars will have this feature,but it seems crucial only in a cold start,if the temp is freezing then you need to glow plug the car twice before starting(as recommended),In i20 first morning cold start if you dont wait for glow plug light to go off you will need to crank the car longer. Once car is warmed up haven't faced anything but its commonsense to wait for atleast 2 to 3 seconds after ignition in any petrol or diesel car,to allow fuel pump & ecu to come online.

Answer to point 4- Not looked into the gearbox thing,but i am guessing its not down to the turbo but to allow your gear oil to flow & warm up.Again this makes sense on a cold start only when allowing your engine to warm up.

And to switch off turbo engine after a decent idle is advised(5 to 6 sec),i do 30 sec idle when car is on long journey or hard driving & especially like for example we stop at a place to eat on highway i make sure i idle for 30 sec if its a turbo vehicle.This allows all the required cooling to the turbo. This is very true for Petrol turbo cars as they run at crazy temp over diesel turbo.

Last edited:

Top Bottom