Want a Low Budget Used Car For Wife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello friends!
So your Good old buddy is out shopping again! And this time, its not for me but my Wife. My Wife is joining Driving classes, so I thought why not get a cheap second car for her to practice and carry small chores around. Many of you know that I'm a fan of SUVs and after driving Fortuner, Xuv500, Safari, I have zero experience with small/Compact cars. Please join in and help me finalize a small, easy to drive car for my girl.

> Type for car Required-
Hatchback or Compact SUV/Crossover (preferred if within budget)
Sedan if nice deal.(second priority)

> Your Budget:
2~3.5 Lac for hatchback. 4~5 lacs for crossover or Sedan

> New or Used:
Used

>Expected features-
AC and Power steering is Must.
Gearbox shall be 5 speed manual or better (My girl is a rare kind who loves to shift)
Tyres shall be Big (14 inch plus) and good ground clearance because the roads at my place are very bad.

Otherwise I'm Okay with basic models and lack of Music system (I'll design my own), lack of power windows (rolled up due to full AC), Lack of Little premium bits/Auto functions etc.

> Type of Fuel: Diesel preferred, but not compulsary. CNG/LPG not good

> For What Purpose:
For my wife to practice car driving, and as a second car for myself when we are travelling in small numbers (I don't want a dabba car to use 6 month and throw away)

> Priority:
Reliability of car is important ( I don't want to wife stranded anywhere)
Should be easy to drive
Should have minimum Blind spots (Swift and Ritz are horrible)
Should me Mod friendly to add rear cam, custom music system, better fog lamps etc
Pocket friendly to maintain and good service

>Vehicle condition:
Less than 30k KM driven and not older than 3 years

> Purchase Location:
Car brokers or online.
All Maharashtra OK. Nashik, Dhule, Aurangabad region Preffered.

>Brands preferred- (Service within 150km)
Maruti Suzuki
Mahindra
Hyundai
Tata

>Brands Disliked- (service centers 200Km+)
Honda
Fiat
Chevy
Peugeot

>Models preffered
Mahindra Quanto
Ecosport (will it fit in budget?)
i20 or i10
Maruti tallboys

>Models disliked-
Suzuki Ritz (bogus view, Huge dash with blind spots)
Indica for reliablity issues?

>Buying time-
1~3 months or earlier.

Last edited:
Re: Want a Low budget, Used car for wife

Since your running is low , I would suggest you stick to a petrol car.

The best choices in order for used ones are -

Swift
Wagon R
Alto
I10
Santro
Micra
Figo

All these should come within 3 lacs +/-

Indica/Vista P/D are also good but getting a good used one not abused will be difficult. Advantage and disadvantage - low resale value.

Thread Starter #3

bhvm

Honoured Member

Since your running is low , I would suggest you stick to a petrol car.

The best choices in order for used ones are -

Swift
Wagon R
Alto
I10
Santro
Micra
Figo

All these should come within 3 lacs +/-

Indica/Vista P/D are also good but getting a good used one not abused will be difficult. Advantage and disadvantage - low resale value.
Thanks for your Input.
How is Grand i10 over regular i10?
I do not like swift as it has huge dash and blocks out much of nearby view. My girl will hate it when driving in tight situations.

Yes swift has very bad nose/side view and the seat is also placed low adding to worse.

Grand i10 is new compared to i10 and I guess you will not get one in used market.

I would prefer WagonR/Estilo (K Series) compared to i10.

I understand the road conditions is not so good in oyur area so I would suggest go for a car with minimum 180 mm ground clearance and 15 inch tyre I think I saw some quantos on OLX from Nasik, Aurangabad that would fit in your budget. I would suggest go for this vehicle

Thread Starter #6

bhvm

Honoured Member

I understand the road conditions is not so good in oyur area so I would suggest go for a car with minimum 180 mm ground clearance and 15 inch tyre I think I saw some quantos on OLX from Nasik, Aurangabad that would fit in your budget. I would suggest go for this vehicle
Yes, I do have a sweet spot for Quanto. My wife particularly liked Gear Indicator (Mahindra speciality). Its a tough boy and Indian brand. I made a search on OLX and all listings are near 6 lac~! Are these fools? Quanto is not a hot product anyways.

I am willing to Spend 5 lac if Ecosport is available. The look is magic!

Last edited:

Yes, I do have a sweet spot for Quanto. My wife particularly liked Gear Indicator (Mahindra speciality). Its a tough boy and Indian brand. I made a search on OLX and all listings are near 6 lac~! Are these fools? Quanto is not a hot product anyways.

I am willing to Spend 5 lac if Ecosport is available. The look is magic!
I know they are saying pricing around 6 lacks but there are no buyers at that price If you negotiate I am sure you can get a Quanto C4 model at around 4.5 lacks I you are open try for mumbai cars over there the market is big so you can get more options and negotiations are very much possible if possible try to avoid brokers and contact direct owners

Last edited:

none of the hatchbacks has a good ground clearance. why don't you try the used mahindra logan. it gives you a excellent mileage and spacious sedan.

none of the hatchbacks has a good ground clearance. why don't you try the used mahindra logan. it gives you a excellent mileage and spacious sedan.
Santro Xing does have a good ground clearance. Driving view is good courtesy the seat height. I am surprised by your statement.

Santro Xing does have a good ground clearance. Driving view is good courtesy the seat height. I am surprised by your statement.
I second that Santro, Wagon R , Nano all have good GC and very high driving position which gives new learners an advantage.

If you are OK with Quanto try to get an used one, which should be realistically around 4.5-5 lacs (2 year old model).

I would suggest to go for the following in orders:
Wagon R
i10 (manual preferred but automatic will be better for learners)
Figo

I wont recommend Quanto as its bigger than the above ones which may cause discomfort for learners in crowded street and also poor resale value too.

Last edited:

One good thing I want to learn from your thread is which car has less blind spots. Also thank you for the information that girls do not like the cars like swift/Ritz for thier big dash which will be a problem for visibility and has many blind spots the subject which never came into my mind so far, but I agree with you about the blind spots of Ritz and the worst is the A pillar driver side.

Keeping the blind spots thing a side as I do not know which car has more and less, my advise would be either go for Wagon R OR a New Nano which tick most of your requirements except the diesel which I feel not suitable for the criteria you mentioned.

Last edited:
Hiii , I wanted to know why you hate Honda brand. I drive car a Honda daily and at 70,000 it is still like new.
If you a want car with less blind spots see Zen Estilo or Zantro.

@ Ankit, I think he ruled out Honda because its expensive to maintain in HASS.

@ bhvm, your best bet is used hatchback. I doubt you will get used Ecosport (P).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom